⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekends find from the west

1499673988_img_4086.jpg

1499673947_img_4084.jpg

tryhard1968 said:
Nice one GF, just recently spent a month in the West and I must say gold comes much easier then in the GT

Some would beg to differ tryhard, but I would tend to agree (not that I've been to the GT) . You still gotta walk over it and we do some miles to achieve.

This time of year you would be surprised just how many prospectors are in the WA goldfields all with good info on where to start looking.
It's nice to get lucky and snag a bit each weekend though :)

G'Day All,
Back home a couple of days after eight days detecting, did a lot of exploring new country but still managed to clock up plenty of hours detecting, both day and night.
New country for the most part can be quite challenging, trying to work out why the old timers dug up the country side in particular locations, on this trip their main focus was on an ancient river bed and its alluvial wash dirt. All but one of the 21 pieces of gold recovered were sub gram, the last piece to see daylight went 11.6 grams, a very welcome find after all of the small stuff. The GPX5000 with the 6x8" Sadie came in very handy as a deep seeking pin pointer and after quite a lot of digging nailed the location of the larger nugget, this combination has proved its worth on a number of occasions and saves opening up the holes to allow the 7000 with the 14"/19" to be swung. The other twenty pieces going 5.6 grams in total. The GPZ7000 proved its worth yet again, the smallest piece going a tiny 0.05 gram at about 30 mm, the larger nugget was a measured 585mm deep. The last day was spent working the deeper ground with the 19" coil on the 7000 but had no luck with this combination on this occasion, should be worth spending more time with the big coil though on the next trip, in all a pleasing result for a first-time hunt on new country.
Cheers, Sinhof.
1499777730_20170704_141135.jpg
1499777763_20170704_170645.jpg

1499778575_20170704_140416.jpg

Went out for a swing a Maryborough yesterday, beautiful on the goldfields. Third signal I dug in a mullock heap a metre from the road sounded like a deep buried shot on the SDC.
Dug down and immediately into washed gravel and quartz over a clay base. The signal got stronger and stronger and I thought another .22 bullet.
At Six inches the target was out and to my surprise to popped this little beauty.
The gram still alludes me!
1499811972_img_0401.jpg

Thanks for the kind words folks, will certainly be back there after more yellow in the coming weeks, got to feed the fever to keep it under control.
Cheers, SinHof.

Nice going there Bills, a gram plus nug will turn up, probably when you least expect it, just got to keep looking and trying different locations.
Take care, SinHof.

Hi Heatho,
It was an interesting eight days, and great to have some new real estate to swing the 7000 over, very different country to what I've been playing on over the past few seasons, it is certainly worthy of extra effort to get a better feel for how and where the yellow metal found a permanent home, well some of it, until last week, LOL.
Cheers, Sinhof,

Latest posts