⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a half decent trip this time out. A little over an ounce plus a few nice specimens up to yesterday. Unfortunately a very weak signal here, surprised I have one at all, so can't post pics or vids as yet. Largest around nine grams and heaps of smalls.
Nice little run today, dug 48 holes and not one piece of junk. Small stuff but totalled just over 23 grams for the day, more there for tomorrow. Only been out a week so might even stop out another week if the luck continues ?
Cheers

Another 2 bits this weekend for .6g. Was hard work, very hilly ground and having a stress fracture in the leg wasn't helping. Looking for flatter ground for next week.
1471174452_image.jpeg

I'm in the same boat SP but it's my ankle that is no good, I'm also going to look for more flatter ground in the next few weeks and well done mate at least you got rewarded for the hard work ;)

dam it said:
Managed to grab a few today at Whroo :D
The mozzies were very friendly :eek: :mad: very friendly
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6727/1471073145_13aug16whroo.jpg
Some one dug this up up then just left it sitting there :/
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6727/1471073232_13aug16whroo_1.jpg
This one will end put under the hammer tonite :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6727/1471073415_13aug16whroo3.jpg
Not going out tomorrow :eek: :eek: well I am but up the bush on the bike :D :D
Nice finds Damit!
You certainly have Whroo sussed.

Dig'n-it said:
With all us broken down dectorists we better look for flat ground for the Vic GT Camp, the Melb Cup Weekend (another plug!) ;)

But you bought a Jeep Dig'n-it, you could drop off the top of the hill and drive right to the spot. I suggest from the top so your door opens automatically when you get to the X spot :lol:

Some great finds fellas.
After not being out for a swing for a month or more due some unexpected surgery, I went out for a swing with Matty on satday. Managed to snag these few for 1.6 grams. Matty got a couple of little one as well, he was a bit off his game with the man flu slowing him down a bit. Saving the big ones for next trip I think.
1471257437_rps20160815_203629.jpg

walshie1000 said:
Some great finds fellas.
After not being out for a swing for a month or more due some unexpected surgery, I went out for a swing with Matty on satday. Managed to snag these few for 1.6 grams. Matty got a couple of little one as well, he was a bit off his game with the man flu slowing him down a bit. Saving the big ones for next trip I think.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4955/1471257437_rps20160815_203629.jpg
Glad to see you're back out their Walshie, and finding gold.
Now you've had the GPZ for a few months, how are you finding it?
Is it everything you thought it would be?
Is it worth the money?
Cheers Dignit

Thanks chewy, I'm back in action.
Yeah the Z goes orite mate. They're not for everyone, I know of a few people who have had them and don't like them and went back to gpx's knowing the Z's are a more capable machine. These guys just had trouble adapting to new settings and the language it speaks.
If money's not an issue the Z is the way to go. Is it worth the money? Depends who you ask i spose.

Colin, I use the xcel based spread sheet program as shown below. It only works where the host rock is not a combination such as quartz and ironstone.
1471316079_sg_measurements.jpg

The inputs are the cells shaded yellow.
1. The water specific gravity is entered from the top right table depending on water temperature.
2. The host rock's specific gravity is then entered. If it is a combination of dissimilar material such as quartz and ironstone, this method will provide Specific Gravity, but not the gold content.
3. Next enter the Gold purity in karats. It's generally around 22.8 karat (for the GT - 95%AU & 5%Ag), but may vary greatly from field to field. Might have to do some research for your specific goldfield.
4. The next yellow cell calculates the gold alloy Specific Gravity assuming Silver accounts for most of the alloying material. There's Cu in the GT gold, but generally pretty small.
5. You then measure the specimen's dry weight (on scales as you normally would).
6. Now measure the volume of the specimen. This is done by placing a small plastic tub of water on your scales (just big enough to immerse your specimen in), and zeroing the scales (using tare button) to 0.00g. Now with the specimen held on a small cotton thread. Immerse it in the water jar. And note the weight increase on the scales. As water has a Specific Gravity very close to 1.0g/cc, if the weight goes up by 1.5g say, then the volume is thus 1.5cc. There is a very small correction based on the temperature of water (used in step 1). Make sure there is no air trapped on the sample when immersed in the water.
7. The Specific Gravity of the specimen is then simply calculated by dividing the dry weight by the measured volume.
8. Some fairly simple math is then used to determine what ratio of gold alloy to the host material would equal that specimen's SG, then using the known volume, calculate the gold alloy content.

Clearly there are a number of assumptions involved (including gold alloy purity), but the results should be +/- say 5%

I can email the spread sheet to you if required.

Colin, you can also test out your measuring accuracy, by practising on pure materials, such as a lead sinker, pure quartz etc and compare with the published SG for that material.
Also, measure a few pure gold nuggets from the same area (to determine average SG and hence purity) to use in future gold content calcs. I've found 22.8 karat is pretty good for the GT.

Doubt I've done this right but the dry weight was 4.60g, I then filled a little tub with water put in on the scales and zero'd it and then dipped the gold, suspended on a bit of thread into the tub just under water level, gave it a tap in case of air and it read 0.41... does that sound right so far
Entering these figures into the spread sheet would give a result?
I would appreciate a copy and PM'd you my email address, very much grateful for the help BigWave

Latest posts