⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold689 said:
Wow :eek: Joe,

Do you have a Sapphire mine spot at GG.
That's a lot of gems m8 :) :) thank you for the photos, get's me all fired up for more diggings. :D

Cheers,
"B"

Lol B, no sapphire mine just a good eye, no doubt if i was to pin point the exact location mining company would jump on it.

100% True,, Joe :cool:

have you seen the bridge area? now it looks like it has been mine or bulldoze. :(

Gold689 said:
100% True,, Joe :cool:

have you seen the bridge area? now it looks like it has been mine or bulldoze. :(

Have not seen it lately mate, but most of it was flood damage washed away the concrete path/walkway under the bridge (water level 3-4 meters high). Got some nice stones around the boulders after the flood.

Heatho said:
Just gotta pick my jaw up off the floor. Nice collection Joe, hope ours looks that good in a few years.

Plenty of snakes at GG for sure, was minding my own business sieving there yesterday when a couple of people up on the higher bank under the bridge were pointing and saying snaaaaake, red belly snaaaaake , hmmmm ok, I had a look, snake had a look, I moved and got out of it's way and snake took off in the opposite direction for swim across the creek. Mate saw another vanish into rocks right on the water line. Red Bellies just don't bother me, my heart rate did not waver, but Browns and Copperheads sure do, they will make the heart skip a few beats.

Really got to keep your eyes open down there, so many frogs about, that's what RB's are after, makes them a little more dangerous when they are hiding where you are digging.

We got 8 Sapphires a few Zircons and had a great night camping.

Hi Heatho, no reason why yours shouldnt look like that mate. I ever only process 2-to 3 of those council black recycling tabs (30L) per outing that way it gives me an incentive to come back. Whether I find anything or not it doesnt matter its more to do with balancing my mind after a stressful/mental week at work.

finding the first won is the key then the pressure is of my eyes are falling out of my head looking at small stones all starting to look the same 8) will keep looking better than watching tv hope to find first one soon

My problem was I was only looking for blue stones, and all I was finding was quartz :mad:
Now I have a better idea on what to look out for, hopefully I'll do better. I've modified my gold highbanker for gems, so might take it next time. But might do some more exploring around GG first, to find my own Joe mine ;)

joe said:
Heatho said:
Just gotta pick my jaw up off the floor. Nice collection Joe, hope ours looks that good in a few years.

Plenty of snakes at GG for sure, was minding my own business sieving there yesterday when a couple of people up on the higher bank under the bridge were pointing and saying snaaaaake, red belly snaaaaake , hmmmm ok, I had a look, snake had a look, I moved and got out of it's way and snake took off in the opposite direction for swim across the creek. Mate saw another vanish into rocks right on the water line. Red Bellies just don't bother me, my heart rate did not waver, but Browns and Copperheads sure do, they will make the heart skip a few beats.

Really got to keep your eyes open down there, so many frogs about, that's what RB's are after, makes them a little more dangerous when they are hiding where you are digging.

Hi Heatho, no reason why yours shouldnt look like that mate. I ever only process 2-to 3 of those council black recycling tabs (30L) per outing that way it gives me an incentive to come back. Whether I find anything or not it doesnt matter its more to do with balancing my mind after a stressful/mental week at work.

I agree totally mate, great way to unwind. I'm happy with what we find, hav'nt come home empty handed yet from GG and very thankful for all the info and pics you and everyone else provide. :)

The weekends treasure haul, largest is 2.5ct.

1381734755_20131013_180109.jpg

Paperboy said:
My problem was I was only looking for blue stones, and all I was finding was quartz :mad:
Now I have a better idea on what to look out for, hopefully I'll do better. I've modified my gold highbanker for gems, so might take it next time. But might do some more exploring around GG first, to find my own Joe mine ;)

Look for anything that looks like black spinel, hard to tell between that and sapphires on first glance if it's not in full sunlight, even in full sun sometimes can be difficult to the untrained eye.

I found one small blue one still jumping with joy found other stones but will need some one to look at them as I am not sure but found first one very happy could not have done it with out you guys and girls thank you very much made my day 8)

Was nice meeting Richo, hope to catch up again sometime. Met a couple of forum members and forum lurkers down there, was a great weekend, join up forum lurkers. :)

Thanks guys for your help and assistance. I'm getting plenty of black spinel, so I must be digging in the right spots.
Muchly appreciated.

Heatho said:
joe said:
Heatho said:

I agree totally mate, great way to unwind. I'm happy with what we find, hav'nt come home empty handed yet from GG and very thankful for all the info and pics you and everyone else provide. :)

The weekends treasure haul, largest is 2.5ct.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1381734755_20131013_180109.jpg

It starts like that Heatho :) I remember days where I came home with a lot less than that mate and still do every now and then especially in new locations. There is no magic bullet other than homework of the location,technique and little luck.

Paperboy said:
Thanks guys for your help and assistance. I'm getting plenty of black spinel, so I must be digging in the right spots.
Muchly appreciated.
Keep the black jack mate for two reasons, one it's worth about 2 bucks per ct and the second reason is it will give me an idea where not to dig :)

Love to know where your getting 2 bucks a carat. Have about 100carats I'd be happy getting that for it no worries. Haha.

Newbie said:
Love to know where your getting 2 bucks a carat. Have about 100carats I'd be happy getting that for it no worries. Haha.

:) newbie have a look at aussiesapphire they are selling them for about 4.90 per ct cut, Lambers will cut them for couple of buck that's where I got my figure from. Black jack is getting popular in the jewellery world as a replacement for onyx or black diamond. No treatment is required after cutting black jack

I agree with Joe, :)

Blackjack or Black spinel is popular for male ring.

Hi Joe, what's the biggest carat of blackjack that you have found in GG Creek?

Mine is around 27ct.

Cheers,
"B"

Gold689 said:
I agree with Joe, :)

Blackjack or Black spinel is popular for male ring.

Hi Joe, what's the biggest carat of blackjack that you have found in GG Creek?

Mine is around 27ct.

Cheers,
"B"

I must say B I have never weight these :) there must be couple of kg in the shed

Wow that's a lot :eek:

But the individual size is the one I'm after.
I'm thinking the bigger the spinel you find the bigger the sapphire just lurking around the corner. or that's how I convince myself to dig harder ;)

Gold689 said:
Wow that's a lot :eek:

But the individual size is the one I'm after.
I'm thinking the bigger the spinel you find the bigger the sapphire just lurking around the corner. or that's how I convince myself to dig harder ;)

It wouldn't be bigger than 1/2 inch (so maby 20ct the most) as my sieve #1 is 1/2 inch , in my early days I have made a mistake tossing out everything that didn't light up in my #1 sieve. Later learner that not all gems are transparent/translucent.

Here is a link to give you an idea what they sell for http://www.gemhut.com/bkspinel.htm