Wooden Dry washer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Had a bit of time today to play and getting sick of no water about so thought i'd build myself a little drywasher.

Shes a little rough but i'm sure it will work once I can get hold a leaf blower to test it on, I built a counterbalance and used muslin for the cloth, only spent about $90 bit of fun i'll put up a video once shes all finished and I can test her out.

1394873037_20140315_192217.jpg
1394873048_20140315_192208.jpg
1394873055_20140315_192701.jpg
1394873153_20140315_184237.jpg

Cracker mate I'm building a shaker table will post
some pics tomorrow.
Going out the whip sticks to see if she sheds a little
yellow .try the Sunday markets or recovery yard for
a blower .Dr

Thanks mate good idea few markets on tomorrow. ironic I finalky build a drywasher and its pissing down rain :D

Nice work iv been going to whip one up for a play for a while now.
Mitre 10 $88 for a leave blower this months special

I had a look at a few $88 2 strokes at masters 4 stroke seems to start at $200 ill check hoke out tommorrow

golddig that looks great, well done.
if I may make a suggestion, you should think about making your legs longer so the bottom box is a bit higher as it is a pain moving the waste pile of fine dirt after it comes of the bottom box and if it builds up against the bottom box it takes the vibration out of the box and it also cause's the waste to back up on the bottom box. hope that makes sense.
I have a 151 dry blower and it happens with them also.
regards tm

Just bought a blower from the tip recycling shop for $10.00. A good clean up, a new spark plug and fuel line, it look's and go's like new.
The drywasher look's great.

trashmagnet said:
golddig that looks great, well done.
if I may make a suggestion, you should think about making your legs longer so the bottom box is a bit higher as it is a pain moving the waste pile of fine dirt after it comes of the bottom box and if it builds up against the bottom box it takes the vibration out of the box and it also cause's the waste to back up on the bottom box. hope that makes sense.
I have a 151 dry blower and it happens with them also.
regards tm

makes perfect sense mate. I cut the legs down by 250mm for stability as soon as I connected it all I was concerned about buildup.

G0lddigg@ that looks great, you have inspired me.
Are you prepared to divulge the source of your plans?
Every one else in the triangle will be building to keep the rain coming.

thanks slowflow.

no plans mate just spent a few hours researching old drywashers vs new and bought some wood. the price of the wood and widths dictated the built to some extent. im happy to draw up a plan of wbat I built if anyone is interested.

Golddig thats a great looking unit
just give a man a few hours in the shed and amazing things happen.
Not a critisism but a bit more ground clearance would prob help.
Now go and get it all dusty.... :) :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Thanks mate good idea few markets on tomorrow. ironic I finalky build a drywasher and its pissing down rain :D
Well if that's the reason, please keep building them. A couple of dimensional type plans would be a real winner, I'm sure I'll run out of cash and time before i ever get all the kit is like to build built, but as the days get shorter and colder spend more time in the shed on projects. Great build mate, anyone can go buy one, sometimes though there's a great sense of pride that comes with crafting a piece of equipment. You should be well proud.

got a leaf blower at the market today for $40 very happy with it. now I have to source a few metres of air hose any ideas lads?

Can you possibly put a description with the pics, I for one have no idea how these things work!

If it was my dry blower I'd leave the full length tube on the leaf blower you could still use it as a leaf blower. Run a 45 out of the pressure box with 2m of a roll up hose like "fire hose"
Just to keep it as compact as possible.

I thought about using layflat hose but the tube needs to be plaztic to creat static for fine gold recovery. I won't be modifying the blower mate there's just no need. xanr seem to fins any hose less than 60 metre rolls.

G0lddigg@ said:
I thought about using layflat hose but the tube needs to be plaztic to creat static for fine gold recovery. I won't be modifying the blower mate there's just no need. xanr seem to fins any hose less than 60 metre rolls.

hi golddig
have you got something linking the hose to the catch area to carry the static electricity past the wood? as I reckon you will lose the static electricity when it hits the wooden box. the 151 has a hose with metal running in it to carry the static to the bottom box which is plastic not wood therefore it builds up in the bottom box.
regards tm

hey tm
the fitting sits on the Inside side of the box ill put some pics up when I have time. I cant imagine that wood could expel static as it needs a conductor to dissipate. I imagine m9st of the charge would hold in the expanded mesh runnjng under the cloth.

who knows it may not work. ..it just may im more concerned with getting the counterbalance to wabble properly :)

Latest posts