Interesting Reading

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says Who?... If a deadly snake is threatening you, and you are likely to get bitten then you are allowed to kill it... Human life over Wildlife will always rule... Sad but true...

If it was me, that snake would be in 100 pieces by now...

LW...

Australias Secret War
The Traitors Within...
Written by
Perth lawyer Hal Colebatch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Colebatch
(Hal Gibson Pateshall Colebatch (7 October 1945 10 September 2019) was a West Australian author, poet, lecturer, journalist, editor, and lawyer.)

Book Available from here https://quadrant.org.au/shop/books/australias-secret-war-unions-sabotaged-troops-world-war-ii/

They did the same in Sydney during the Vietnam War. e.g. one example I can well remember is that the Sydney wharfies stole all the vast and
expensive tool kits that went with each of the Centurion tanks as they were loaded on board a ship for Vietnam . They had refused to load the
tanks until they were taught to drive them from the tank transporters when they arrived on the wharfs, [a very short distance] to the edge of
the docks, which obviously gave them the chance to steal the many thousands of dollars of tools, which had to be replaced urgently by air to Vietnam .
These people have still not been brought to account for this or earlier actions during WW II.

A timely new book reveals the union movements role in one of the most
shameful periods of Australian history. What the wharfies did to Australian
troops - and their nations war effort - between 1939 and 1945 is nothing short of an abomination.

Perth lawyer Hal Colebatch has done the nation a service with his
ground-breaking book, Australia s Secret War, telling the untold story
of union bastardry during World War 2.

Using diary entries, letters and interviews with key witnesses, he has pieced
together with forensic precision the tale of how Australia s unions sabotage
the war effort; how wharfies vandalised, harassed, and robbed Australian
troop ships, and probably cost lives.

One of the most obscene acts occurred in October, 1945, at the end of the war, after Australian soldiers were released from Japanese prison camps.
They were half dead, starving and desperate for home. But when the British
aircraft-carrier HMS Speaker brought them into Sydney Harbour , the wharfies went on strike. For 36 hours, the soldiers were forced to remain on-board, tantalisingly close to home. This final act of cruelty from their countrymen was their thanks for all the sacrifice.

Colebatch coolly recounts outrage after outrage.
There were the radio valves pilfered by waterside workers in Townsville
which prevented a new radar station at Green Island from operating.
So when American dive bombers returning from a raid on a Japanese base
were caught in an electrical storm and lost their bearings, there was no radio station to guide them to safety. Lost, they ran out of fuel and crashed, killing all 32 airmen.

Colebatch quotes RAAF serviceman James Ahearn, who served at Green Island , where the Australians had to listen impotently to the doomed Americans radio calls: The grief was compounded by the fact that had it not been for the greed and corruption on the Australian waterfront such lives would not have been needlessly lost.

Almost every major Australian warship was targeted throughout the war,
with little intervention from an enfeebled Prime Minister Curtin.
There was the deliberate destruction by wharfies of vehicles and equipment, theft of food being loaded for soldiers, snap strikes, go-slows, and demands for danger money for loading biscuits.

Then there were the coal strikes which pushed down coal production between 1942 and 1945 despite the war emergency. There were a few honourable attempts to resist union leaders, such as the women working in a small arms factory in Orange , NSW, who refused to strike and pelted union leaders with tomatoes and eggs.

This is a tale of the worst of Australia amid the best, the valour and courage
of our soldiers in New Guinea providing our last line of defence against
Japanese, only to be forced onto starvation rations and to go easy on the
ammo because strikes by the wharfies back home prevented supplies from
reaching them.

A planned rescue of Australian POWs in Borneo late in the war apparently had to be abandoned, writes Colebatch, because a wharf strike in Brisbane meant the ships had no heavy weapons.
There was no act too low for the unionists. For instance, in 1941, hundreds of soldiers on board a ship docked in Fremantle entrusted personal letters to
wharfies who offered to post them in return for beer money. The letters never arrived.
At one point in 1942 a US Army colonel became so frustrated at the refusal of Townsville wharfies to load munitions unless paid quadruple time, he ordered his men to throw the unionists into the water and load the guns themselves.
In Adelaide , American soldiers fired sub-machine guns at wharfies deliberately destroying their aircraft engines by dropping them from great heights.
Australian soldiers had to draw bayonets to stop the same Adelaide wharfies from stealing food meant for troops overseas.
You will read this book with mounting fury.

Colebatch offers various explanations for the treasonous behaviour of the
unions. Many of the leaders were Communists obsessed with class warfare.
Fervent identity politics led them to believe they were victims, and that
servicemen and women were puppets of capitalism whose lives were of no consequence.
Contrary to popular belief, strikes and sabotage continued to the end of the war, even after the Soviet Union became an ally, writes Colebatch, who contends that the Australian Left may have wanted to undermine the military in preparation for revolution after the war.
Whatever the reasons for the defective morality of those unionists who
sabotaged our war effort, the traitors have never been brought to account.
This story has been largely suppressed for 70 years because Labor and the
Left have successfully controlled the narrative of history.
But no more, thanks to Colebatch.

1595917103_unnamed.jpg

This book is a great read!
Not for the ignorant or people with tunnel vision but.....
Unions where like the mafia!
And very big in Melbourne...... still is!
Even communist sympathizer wharfies made it hell.
Imagine ANTIFA running the docks in today's world!!!!!

Have to say that my own father was a communist union leader during this time...Iron Workers sub branch Secretary,Port Kembla. He was also an Air Raid Warden and concert organiser to raise funds in aid of the war effort and to feed the families of those whose sole provider was away at or had been killed or wounded on Active Service.His enduring contribution to the fight at the time for Workers Rights and the plight of the working classes earned him a good deal of respect from many in the community at the time.As he said once to me...years later,"Son, I was once a Rebel...just like you are now.Just make sure you stay grounded in the principals of decency and justice to all in dealing with people"....makes me think in terms of ...in those days there were communists who were arseholes of people and there were communists that cared for the welfare and greater good of the people.In the long run they were :cool: all products of there time....and what a hell of a time it must have been to be alive. :cool:

The hard part is.... we all evaluate today's politics to yesteryear..
When it was a totally different ball game.
Yet simular.....
People back then stood up for a reason... as we do today...
All a very interesting part of Australia's history in that "period"..
Some will deny it...
Best stories are real...

The end paragraph reads ;

"Since then much of the Dja Dja Wurrung region has been subject to a Victorian Environmental Assesment Council review, which has recommended an end to all timber harvesting, hunting, prospecting and mining in the area, with restrictions on horse riding."

Is the Dja Dja Wurrung region around Bendigo ?

Hawaii naval war memorial which sits across the Arizona which sank with 1102 sailors still lying below.
I remember being there 1990 with my first wife and virtually every body was feeling it with tears and sniffles.
It was the most heartfelt of my life. :(

Yes Jack, my wife and I experienced the same thing on the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbour, very moving and I looked over the edge and two drops of oil rose to the surface. All on board are still there. It is a very eerie place and it is very special. Didnt see any Japanese there. I hope that would have changed by now.
Cheers
Mackka

Mackka said:
It is a very eerie place and it is very special. Didnt see any Japanese there. I hope that would have changed by now.

Have to say plenty of Japanese (and other Nationalities) there when we visited, was one of the special anniversary dates and there was actually one of the pilots that took part in the bombing invited to talk ..... he had written a book from his perspective.

1610532649_bda97276-1706-4050-a3e1-e14d8b47a9ae_1_201_a.jpg

1610532649_509c9081-57ff-41f1-b355-e2eddf97cd17_1_201_a.jpg

Have to say in all "war ravaged" places I've been to the Japanese are MUCH more respectful than the Americans. Try going to Hiroshima .... the Americans are loud obnoxious and have no sense of respect at these places ......

1610532758_022b8d30-94eb-4c3f-a41e-eaeed78f8720_1_201_a.jpg

An interesting ?? thing I noticed reading the Hiroshima book was that the place that the A Bomb was dropped was very very similar to where the Twin Towers were destroyed during 9/11 ......... both sites are at the junction of 2 major rivers (well I thought it was interesting anyway).

1610532958_2d777054-da75-4b07-ac8d-0ef3d6d12a2e_1_201_a.jpg

1610532958_8fa1daa0-5f49-4da0-90e9-0f4ac62c6808_1_201_a.jpg

For anyone looking for something closer to home, an interesting little book related to the bombing of Darwin ..... and wow, how many years did we go through before the Aust Govt actually admitted to Australia being attacked (apart from the subs in Sydney Harbour).

1610533138_a9bdf72e-d279-46d6-a974-2ba15ba2ee66_1_201_a.jpg

1610533138_4150b756-e094-4aca-b280-7c1ef4c20203_1_201_a.jpg

Must add .... for all their faults the Americans hold their ex service men/women in much higher regard than we do !!!!

Latest posts