You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

General_Hawkins
11 January 2020 12:24 am

blisters wrote:

To clarify is the 30k AUS or DEM and will it covers the whole trip or just to purchase the vehicle and camping gear? E.g fuel and initial and ongoing vehicle maintenance.

Jon

Thats rougly what we calculated:

30k AUD -> Car + Camping Gear
20k AUD -> Prospecting Equip + Miners Right + Section 40e + Snake Guardz + GPS + PLB + etc.
30k AUD -> Flights, Visa, Fuel, Food, Laundry, etc

Some of the numbers might vary in the section but in the end thats the budget for our 1-year-prospecting trip.
The budget for wife and kid is a different one.

Last edited by General_Hawkins (11 January 2020 12:24 am)

blisters
13 January 2020 12:59 am

I think considering you'll be out for a year and maybe doing some large kms, you have to look at initial inspection/preparation and ongoing maintenance. If you go for a later model vehicle then the price is higher and you'll have less for preparation if it is required. A newer vehicle may not be in better mechanical condition than an older vehicle such as if you buy an older one from an enthusiast like that link to the nissan you posted. It's always a trade off.

So given a 30k vehicle/camping budget I would look at a vehicle 15k to a max of 20k and considering likely high kms, whether the engine and gearbox/xfer has been reconditioned as this will blow your budget easily if something goes wrong. A high mileage vehicle with 450,000km on the clock but with a reconditioned gbox/xfer and engine at 350,000km would be a better base unit than one at 340,000km. Suspension is a critical component as well. From there the initial preparation of tyres/brakes/cvs/batteries/cooling system etc. is cost manageable if required. If you can swing your own spanners then you'll save a bunch.

For camping probably the biggest single expense is your fridge. If you will base camp then there's charging say through solar panel and battery considerations as well. It sounds like you have a great opportunity to get your trip setup right until when your missus arrives. At that point I wouldn't change your working setup so if you tent, get another tent etc. for the missus/child but you'll probably need to hire an offroad box trailer to move crap out of your truck for a while to gain seating. Check out canvas pole tents, it's much better to stand up while getting dressed.

I would still go the troopy rv, 80 or 100 series landcruisers 4.2 diesel mostly because of internal space and they're strong or if you go nissan then 4.2 diesel also. The 80 and 100 are coil sprung all round so will be a more comfortable ride over the troopy rv and more readily available. At the end of the day the vehicle still has to carry the payload and yourself/fuel/water/barwork/racks will contribute a lot to this so calculate the weight to stay legal and travel as light as possible or consider a gvm upgrade. Some tracks are very long so fuel/water capacity/weight/planning is very important. I'll stress the water part.

With PLBs check out the inreach and similar iridium based products as you will have two way satellite text communication and your family can track you all the time and act when something is not to plan.

Jon

1 user likes this post: CreviceSucker

Moneybox
13 January 2020 12:54 pm

If you stay away from American and European vehicles you're usually ok. The problems come with modifications. Stock standard vehicles rarely let you down even in very rough terrain. Lots of people have suspension failures but on almost all occasions they are non standard parts that fail. Same thing with exhausts, roo bars, tow bars, roof racks, radios, batteries etc. Keep it simple and within the load rating of your vehicle you'll very likely come home again.

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

1 user likes this post: blisters

General_Hawkins
14 January 2020 02:51 am

Thanks for all your tips and advice guys, I really appreciate it. We will continue to plan and calculate our trip and when the start (August) is coming closer, we would like to add some current ads here and ask again for your advice thumbsup smile

1 user likes this post: Dihusky

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site