Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I? (And I'm after a "specific" answer please - not a general one.)

1. You will find me in grasslands, open woodlands, wetlands, flooded pastures and along the coast in inlets and bays. I am also common on farmland with dams, as well as around rice fields, sewage ponds and in urban parks. I will often be found around deeper lakes too.

2. An Englishman first mentioned me in 1801.

You got it Manpa! In honour of the man who started this awesome Australian History thread, that's about to hit 2 million views! The Duck!
Who didn't realise this would be such a great thread when he started it in 2013.

Thanks Mr Duck, for the terrific thread that's been informative and fun!

My next clue was going to be that it's a well known game bird! :)

1566631057_wood_duck.jpg

Over to you Manpa!

Cheers,
Megsy

The Electoral Act 1856 passed through Parliament (with a one vote majority) on 13 March 1856, and received the Governor's Assent on 19 March.

Victoria thus became the first Australian colony, and the first legislature anywhere in the world, to adopt the practice of the secret ballot, as opposed to open voting.

1 January The name "Tasmania" officially adopted to replace Van Diemen's Land which was felt to have too many convict connotations?

Right state, wrong event, wrong end of the year, but I will accept it because the more I look into the event the more unclear it becomes.

I was looking for the Parlaiment of Tasmania 1st sitting on the 2nd December 1856 but it also appears that under a bicameral system both houses had been sitting since 1846.

Over to you Megsy, my apologies.

No worries Manpa. Some of these dates can get very confusing and conflicting at times!

OK, this is a "Who am I?"

Who said this...?

"Within the last few weeks the towns of Melbourne and Geelong and their large suburbs have been emptied of many classes of their male inhabitants.
The streets which were crowded with people loading drays for the diggings for a week or ten days are now deserted. Not only have the idlers and day labourers, shopmen, artisans and mechanics of every description thrown up their employment, and in most cases left their employers and their wives and families to take care of themselves and run off to the diggings - but also responsible tradesmen, farmers, clerks of every grade and even a few of the superior classes have followed."

OK, silence. Let's try this one.

What am I?

I had a budget of between 400-1,000 Pounds in 1906, and made at least 25,000 Pounds profit.

Let's put this back on track now.

What am I?

1. I had a budget of between 400-1,000 Pounds in 1906, and made at least 25,000 Pounds profit.

2. I was very much a family affair.

3. In 1907 the government banned me in certain areas of Victoria.

Latest posts