Panning on private property

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
Newbie to the page and haven't been able to find the answer to my question.
I have access to a private property that has old gold workings on it.
There is potential for some good funds (I hope. Lol)
I'm definitely wanting to keep the access to the property.
My question is, if I find something really good, how do I deal with the property owners. Is it theirs? Mine? How to split it?
Any info or people in the same situation had dilemmas or good ways to deal with it I'd love to hear.
Thanks

Every deal is different but it is good policy to discuss it prior to starting , usually unless you find a one ounce nugget they wont care , most the time showing them the bugger all little specs you will get for a 8 hour day will make em realise you arent going to profit off their dirt.
Cutting a deal of a carton of beer or bottle of whisky and you keep what you find is the smoothest way to operate.

Welcome to the forum Porta ..
Its up to you and the land owner to come to an agreement..in the past a mate who had land bordering on an old gold bearing creek gave us permission to pan but never asked for anything..not that we found great quanities ..
We used to bring him small gifts when ever we visited like a bottle of port or some beer etc ..

G'day Porter.

I agree with what the others say.
I have an agreement with a Private land owner and he said he doesn't want anything in return for allowing me to prospect his property, except that I don't take anyone else to prospect his land. He said he doesn't want other people there, just me and my son.
He sometimes visits us while we are working his land and we show him what we get from highbanking.

I offered to share any finds with him but he and his wife said they don't want a share.
That may be different with other landowners. I have heard some want 10-20 percent.
In the UK landowners request as much as 50 percent!

Get it sorted with the landowner up front. Offer 10 percent and see what they say. :Y:

Hi Porter,
I agree with the above - it's always best to be friendly with the property owner to smooth things over. Make an agreement before you begin and stick to it.

However, the law states that any gold (in Victoria) - even on private property - belongs to the Crown, and transferring the ownership of that gold from the Crown to the finder, is done through the purchase of a Miner's Right (in Vic). It doesn't actually belong the landowner unless they find it, and have a Miner's Right to do so, or have a prospecting or mining licence covering their property. But still, best to make a deal with them to allow your access to continue on their property, and be fair minded about it.

I don't know about other states, or which one you're in, but that's the law in Victoria. It may be similar in other states, but you'll have to check that out. Perhaps other members could fill you in, if you tell us what state you're talking about prospecting in.

Cheers,
Megsy

Getting access to private property is gold in itself.
Don't be cheap with your offer. I would ask them what cut they want, if they seem unsure, offer 50% and a bottle of wine/slab of beer.

Don't forget you will be on private land where you can relax, come back to the same spot untouched, no one else setting up next to you, no one to worry about stealing your stuff.

Seriously I never go home with bugger all. (prob due to many cans being had), but if you get a gram in a day then that's really only worth $50.

If you look at it from an hourly rate, it's slave wages, so you are not doing it for the money.

Build up a friendship with the landowner and you may find they let you camp there and maybe even go shooting (if desired) when you build up some trust.

I had that situation many moons ago, but the farm changed hands.

That is a very good opportunity you have there.

And don't mess the area up, make it look like you weren't there when you are finished.

Thanks for the replies everyone
I'm in NSW. I'm very grateful for the access to the property as you say occasional_panner.
I spent a day there and didn't find anything.
There is actually 4 neighboring properties that I can go on (all owned by the members of one family)
I will take on board what you guys suggested and come to an agreement.
I don't do it for the money (if I did I'd be broke ??) but for the experience and good times spent with my young fella.

Porter said:
Thanks for the replies everyone
I'm in NSW. I'm very grateful for the access to the property as you say occasional_panner.
I spent a day there and didn't find anything.
There is actually 4 neighboring properties that I can go on (all owned by the members of one family)
I will take on board what you guys suggested and come to an agreement.
I don't do it for the money (if I did I'd be broke ??) but for the experience and good times spent with my young fella.

All the right reasons :Y: best of luck with it all sounds like fun.

Take a long stroll with a back pack oneday. Walk right to the end, eye of every good spot! Then test pan on way back is best. I always do bestcwith shallow bedrock small cracks.
If you say g'day on your way in, and they are not bizy, generally they will give you a bit a history. Hot spots as well.
Invite them down to your camp with a set time for a cold beer. And have a good nibbly snack to offer!
Next thing it's 10pm and ghe cooks on the 2way! And get him in trouble! Ha
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21540

Latest posts