Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i definately wasnt looking lol, came across add in my inbox this morning so i had to have a ganda, hopefuly will stop others being duped. came across plenty of fake gpx detectors online but this is the first gpz ive ever seen faked, also doing the atx as well, definately buy from an aussie reputable dealer :100: percent.

Pisses me off no end that Alibaba, a globally LISTED Chinese company, is not charged for selling these, and other, fakes !

From Wiki :

Alibaba is frequently associated with fraudulent import of counterfeit items: in 2016, the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative added Taobao back onto a list of notorious counterfeit platforms that includes the likes of torrent site The Pirate Bay.[115]

AliExpress is even more controversial:[116] despite claiming[117] to provide buyer protection, it frequently refuses to reimburse customers when goods are seized by customs or when sellers who establish fake business entities vanish after their scam.[118] Several hundred lawsuits and class actions have been filed in the US.[119]

Alibaba denied wrongdoing and started timid action against counterfeiters with only 2 lawsuits filed as of January 4, 2017,[120] but brands suffering from the counterfeit products continue to blame Alibaba for not doing what it takes to fight the issue.

:N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N:

Rick

Masters of counterfeit. Same in all Asian countries.
Most probs the guys in the moulding shed knocked off a body and stuck an old vlf in there and boom, easy coin for them.

big price variation tho, 600 to 3650 smackeroos. even if ive stopped one person getting duped il be happy, same place has been selling the 4500 and the 5000 for a few yrs now. even noticed, an atx, an old garret scorpion and the minelab go series are also on there being faked, oh and a few maro cruzers. whites gmt and fisher g2, and gold bug pro. no ones safe buying from fleabay or gumtree, only reputable sellers. :Y:

Araratgold said:
Pisses me off no end that Alibaba, a globally LISTED Chinese company, is not charged for selling these, and other, fakes !

From Wiki :

Alibaba is frequently associated with fraudulent import of counterfeit items: in 2016, the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative added Taobao back onto a list of notorious counterfeit platforms that includes the likes of torrent site The Pirate Bay.[115]

AliExpress is even more controversial:[116] despite claiming[117] to provide buyer protection, it frequently refuses to reimburse customers when goods are seized by customs or when sellers who establish fake business entities vanish after their scam.[118] Several hundred lawsuits and class actions have been filed in the US.[119]

Alibaba denied wrongdoing and started timid action against counterfeiters with only 2 lawsuits filed as of January 4, 2017,[120] but brands suffering from the counterfeit products continue to blame Alibaba for not doing what it takes to fight the issue.

:N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N: :N:

Rick
well said AG couldnt agree more :Y: :Y: :Y:

I had a look online and holy s#$t their is hundreds of them and they all say genuine detectors even the seal stickers on the units look legit how would you know only buy the price but what is stoping someone flogging it off as a real one second hand?

savage bitter said:
I had a look online and holy s#$t their is hundreds of them and they all say genuine detectors even the seal stickers on the units look legit how would you know only buy the price but what is stoping someone flogging it off as a real one second hand?

The serial number.

Cheers

Doug

yep a call to minelab and the serial number, i noticed some of the 5000 on there have fixed the issue of the numbers close together though . there must be hundreds duped world wide every day just from that site. the company is a multi billion dollar listed company, how the hell can they be getting away with this, i am dumb founded. :( :N: :( :N: ]:D ]:D

Rockhunter62 said:
savage bitter said:

The serial number.

Cheers

Doug
Serial number alone won't prove it's genuine.
There's been a lot of fakes that actually had a real serial number that would have been taken from a genuine detector or ripped from for sales ads etc.
To ensure its genuine you really need the serial number & date + place of purchase (ideally with an invoice). If a seller can't provide serial number &/or purchase details that's enough red flag for me to give a used detector a miss. Of course if buying new always buy from an authorised dealer not a Chinese Interweb site :rolleyes:
A few years ago I was looking to buy a used GPX4500 & the serial number checked out as ok but when Minelab checked out the date & place of purchase for me it didn't match with what the seller told me - the genuine one was sold in a different state & years earlier than stated. When I contacted the seller he admitted he thought it was fake but was trying to get his money back :mad: Minelab asked me for the details of the sale etc. but I don't know what they did about it?

I will be looking for a second hand Z in a couple of weeks. Be good if there was a simple way of spotting fakes

The photo used in the OP's Alibaba link above appears to have been lifted from a used for sale advert in South Africa: https://www.junkmail.co.za/gardenin...lab-gpz-7000/503eb0533ba5449087477874c6720cfb
This makes it hard as not only do they gather real serial numbers to use but they also use stolen photos of real machines & even stock Minelab photos in their adverts. You can't spot a fake online when they use these tactics. :mad:
Some red flags for me would be:
- any eBay or Gumtree ads using what are obviously stock photos from Minelab/Minelab dealer advertising. The sellers excuse is usually something like its packed away so I can't photograph it. If unsure of other pics run a photo or three through an online reverse image website;
- refusal to supply serial number &/or no original invoice. If the invoice has been lost, as some of these sellers will try & tell you, a copy can be obtained from the dealer. I've asked dealers to send me a copy myself before using the details the seller gave me;
- get some clear picks of an original off Minelab or dealers website, a mates machine etc. & take particular note of decal placement, font/style & wording. In the past fakes have been an off colour, incorrect font or text styling used, spelling mistakes on decals & labelling etc. Being fairly new there's not a lot of info on fake GPZ's out there yet;
Ask Minelab to check all details not just the serial number. Make sure that the invoice matches Minelabs records of sale date/place - if Minelab don't have the sales info then check with the dealer to make sure the invoice is good. If genuine the seller should have it registered with Minelab for warranty also which can be changed into your name if you purchase.

Edit: forgot the most important bit :rolleyes:
If you can view & test it in person. If a seller won't allow viewing, testing or pick up. That's another red flag IMO.

You can get some good buys on Aliexpress and Alibaba but not with detectors. The main problem with the site is if you have a problem with something and it needs to be returned the cost is born by the buyer and is often more than the item is worth.

Latest posts