Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won't go wrong with a husky ................... have had a 365 for years with a 20" bar on it ............... you can just keep loading it up as has heaps of grunt. :Y:

This week I have been watching the Stihl Australian 2016 timbersports championships,it has 6 disciplines,my favourite is the hotsaw :cool:

This is a fully modified chainsaw with a 350cc engine turning the chain at 250klm per hour weighting over 30kg :eek:

The normal Stihl chainsaw cuts 2 biscuits in about 15 seconds with the hotsaw cutting 3 biscuits in less than 7 seconds :D

This competition is grass roots with the competitors killing it,a fantastic way to spend a morning :cool:

Recommended :Y:

Buggar
Just got off the phone with bunnings asking about spars for my Ryobi 51cc RCS5145N chainsaw that I bought just over 2 years ago..
Out of warranty and out of luck , as they dont have the parts i need to fix it... needs a new a barrel and piston kit put into it ..
Ebay has kits for other brands costing from $30-50 shtil huski etc
But nothing for Ryobi and the local repairer wants and arm and a leg just to look at it ..
Not my day :(

The Scrounger said:
This is a fully modified chainsaw with a 350cc engine turning the chain at 250klm per hour weighting over 30kg :eek:

The normal Stihl chainsaw cuts 2 biscuits in about 15 seconds with the hotsaw cutting 3 biscuits in less than 7 seconds :D

:Y:

Hey mate- how about a 300 horsepower V8 chainsaw, doing the same cut in 0.88 seconds:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE Jay.

JayInOz said:
The Scrounger said:

:Y:

Hey mate- how about a 300 horsepower V8 chainsaw, doing the same cut in 0.88 seconds:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE Jay.
that was built in seattle by rotax robert (fatter of the two operators) has been around since about 1999, i would hate to lift it :eek:

me with a 351v8 saw
1534308729_imgp1241.jpg

rd350 yamaha bike engine saw
1534308729_imgp1251.jpg

1534308729_imgp1254.jpg

We had a couple of two man chainsaws kicking around in the shed years ago. They went for a few bob in a clearing sale. Actually just about everything we sold in that sale went for next to nothing. Like a running 1936 V 12 Cadillac with a spare motor for five hundred dollars. Sigh. Jay

While on the subject of chainsaws Ive just moved into a house with a fireplace and dont want to have to buy timber or rely on borrowing my brothers. Our family has always owned Stihl chainsaws but Id love to know opinions on the husky or other chainsaws and wether I should go with a 4 stroke over 2.
Thanks in advance.
Terry.

hi taje00 i love both my stihl and 2 husky chainsaws( what can i say ya can never have too many chainsaws) they have cut an awful lot of trees down i also have one of those bauhm ag ones and after checking and locktiteing everything shes apples too Spent some time as a Brownie eg environmental work removing non native vegetation in the creek lines of the Barossa really changed the landscape some days taking out Olive and Ash trees :/

Husqvarna and Sthil are like Ford and Holden! When I was researching saws I came to the conclusion that you would do OK with either. For me it came down to a couple of mates who are Husqvarna fans.

By my way of thinking, I'd avoid the cheap versions of either and go for the middle range models. Husqvarna recently had a deal for the middle range saws that included a free safety kit, including the chaps, which made the decision easy for me.

When I was researching chainsaws I found out that Makita chain saws are re-branded Dolmar's (one of the oldest chainsaw manufacturers) and made in Germany (I don't know if this is still true). They have a reputation for being good value and effective saws.

Makita acquired Dolmar some years ago, and recently the Dolmar brand name has been dropped and all the saws are branded Makita, even in Germany.

Problem is that parts and service may be difficult depending on where you live, which is one reason to go with Sthil or Husky.

DrDuck said:
Husqvarna and Sthil are like Ford and Holden! When I was researching saws I came to the conclusion that you would do OK with either. For me it came down to a couple of mates who are Husqvarna fans.

till you have to work on them :Y: husky's are poo if not "very well" looked after

By my way of thinking, I'd avoid the cheap versions of either and go for the middle range models. Husqvarna recently had a deal for the middle range saws that included a free safety kit, including the chaps, which made the decision easy for me.

they are all built to the same standard ;)

When I was researching chainsaws I found out that Makita chain saws are re-branded Dolmar's (one of the oldest chainsaw manufacturers) and made in Germany (I don't know if this is still true). They have a reputation for being good value and effective saws.

makita bought dolmar many years ago, and yes dolmar made the first chainsaw in 1926 , beating Stihl by only months, the saw was released at black mountian in germany, it did not get a good response from the axemen

Makita acquired Dolmar some years ago, and recently the Dolmar brand name has been dropped and all the saws are branded Makita, even in Germany.

correct

Problem is that parts and service may be difficult depending on where you live, which is one reason to go with Sthil or Husky.

getting "good" servicing can be a huge problem

i have a mate who has been a timber cutter for many many years and he always carried the biggest sthil and swore by them , but the last few years he is carrying a husky and wishes he had one years ago because of the power to weight of the husky now being a heck of a lot better than the sthil and lot easier when you are carrying them and walking around mountains all day .
johno

having said that i am hanging on to my sthil saws specially the old ones . lightening , 08 , 074 and 076 stay with me for a fair while yet and my go to saw is my ever reliable farm boss.( geez i think thats what my old ones are its so long since i messed around with them i cant remember)
johno

Thanks for the comments and yes I think I will stay with either the Husky or stihl just for repairs sake. Ive always looked at the cheaper ones but never thought about trying to get parts when something goes wrong.

taje00 said:
Thanks for the comments and yes I think I will stay with either the Husky or stihl just for repairs sake. Ive always looked at the cheaper ones but never thought about trying to get parts when something goes wrong.

at the price point you bin them :(

texta said:
having said that i am hanging on to my sthil saws specially the old ones . lightening , 08 , 075 and 076 stay with me for a fair while yet and my go to saw is my ever reliable farm boss.( geez i think thats what my old ones are its so long since i messed around with them i cant remember) johno

i cut one piece of wood with my contra lightning s , then drained the fuel out , men were men and thick between the ears when they used contras, but hey they are faster than an axe :Y: :Y:

Latest posts