Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
If you want to discriminate the mentioned non-ferrous objects, you will need to do it with a VLF, not a PI detector. Even then you could run the the risk of discriminating out possible gold targets, as per usual better off to dig all. Remember those old stories about what was thought to be an aluminium can, actually turned out to be a nugget (ie. Previously written off as a junk target by others). ;)

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. I may have been a tad misleading with my question, so I'll phrase it a little different.

I only want to discriminate iron not any of the coins I tested. What my problem is that when I tested in the back yard I got a good signal over the coins but ALSO over the iron, which I thought would have blanked out as I swung over it. Hope this explains it. Rick.

Normal timing, coil switch DD, search mode Custom - High Trash. Ground balance - Fixed.

On these settings it should blank iron targets very well. Put a range of different iron targets down. Also for iron rejection a slightly faster swing can give better results.

PhaseTech said:
Normal timing, coil switch DD, search mode Custom - High Trash. Ground balance - Fixed.

On these settings it should blank iron targets very well. Put a range of different iron targets down. Also for iron rejection a slightly faster swing can give better results.
Thanks Phasetech. That is just what I needed. I had missed the" High Trash" setting. All working well but a bit harder to ground balance than the mono in the same area. Cheers

Just wondering if anyone using "Fine gold" has found the ground too hot to use fine gold, and had to drop back to enhance?

Also, I have been told that enhance on the 5000 is superior to enhance on the 4500?

Thanks.

On a 5000 use enhanced when encountering hot rock and the same may help on hot ground ,enhanced on the new 4500 is very good I do not think there is any difference between the two how have you been Dave regards john :Y:

So far I have found in hot ground if I rebalance the machine it performs well in fine gold mode. I have not had to go back to advance as yet. I am only using the standard coils that came with the machine so I do not know if using a better coil like a coiltek would make a difference at all.

I go to enhanced, I think I did rebalance a couple of times to no avail. Maybe I should try that first to see if it clears up. Cheers S-GT.

you got me thinking on this one marksman. I have been looking into it now. I have found the following taken direct from the Minelab website. It seams I have been doing it wrong.

"As good as Fine Gold is in most mineralised soils, there are still areas where it will be slightly affected by heavy mineralisation, so if a GPX 5000 user still wishes to keep using their Monoloop coil in these areas, dropping back to Enhance Timing usually does the trick."

You can read the whole article here

https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/the-gpx-5000-compared

I hope this clears up the issue for you.

One thing you might want to try before dropping to Enhance is a "Specific" ground balance, pages 55 and 56 of the manual explains it. It's especially for magnetic iron rich soil types.

Have a gander at "Unwrapping the GPX 500" DVD, JP spends quite some time on the subject, with targets as well.

Yeah I would lower sensitivity and raise stabilizer before taking your 5000 out of Fine Gold. In really hot ground dont be afraid of tracking you just have to remember it will sometimes track out gold. Volume can have a pretty big impact on ground noise too as well as swing speed. With a well set up 5000 the Z is only better because of its superior auto ground balance and depth on sub grammers.

thanks goldwright.
Im thinking about my options atm.
Is it worth getting a zed? I had a 4500, had my heart set on a zed, but then heard the 5k argument. I have seen zeds in action and seen them find gold I couldn't get a signal on with a 4500 and 15" NF evo. (enhance) I wish I could have run a 5K over it in fine gold!

Yes one place in particular was almost unworkable in fine gold, changed to enhance and picked up an oz in no time at all. One bit was a pretty deep 20 odd gram bit so I don't think you lose too much depth in enhance.

I do the same and use enhance. I also play with the gain and sensitivity. I don't like fine gold for some reason. Must be my years on the 4000 and 4500.
Ive been in that hot a ground that the only thing to do is go home !!!

GT :)

If using the 18 I always run in enhance when stepping out. If sodomizing an area of deep group, if I possibly can Ill run in normal.
In disgustingly noisy ground dont be afraid to whack on a big DD and give it a run either :Y:

As for the Z comments above, the Z is much much more than just sub grammers and ground balance. The difference is the size of the kitty at the end of the year...this big or thiiiiiis big.
Honestly they compliment each other, but admittedly the 5000 doesnt get a run like it used to and spends a lot of time just looking pretty in the back of the ute.

goldtruck59 said:
I do the same and use enhance. I also play with the gain and sensitivity. I don't like fine gold for some reason. Must be my years on the 4000 and 4500.
Ive been in that hot a ground that the only thing to do is go home !!!

Yeah, I have lots of hot ground.
How do you find your 5K compared to your 4500?

madtuna said:
If using the 18 I always run in enhance when stepping out. If sodomizing an area of deep group, if I possibly can Ill run in normal.
In disgustingly noisy ground dont be afraid to whack on a big DD and give it a run either :Y:

As for the Z comments above, the Z is much much more than just sub grammers and ground balance. The difference is the size of the kitty at the end of the year...this big or thiiiiiis big.
Honestly they compliment each other, but admittedly the 5000 doesnt get a run like it used to and spends a lot of time just looking pretty in the back of the ute.

Hey Madtuna,

Your comments interest me. What percentage would you give the Z over the 5K in terms of better or worse or different. I need a push and your experience would be great as you obviously have both.
Many thanks

mbasko said:
Dave I think if you get a GPX 5000 it will just be another speed hump in the road towards you eventually getting a GPZ.

Bloody good comment really. Going from a 45, you may as well skip and go to the Zed.?

I am only giving you an opinion on the 5000. I owned a 5000 and then got the Z and will not be going back. If you want a 4500 or 5000 to be a Z then you will be disappointed as you have found out. In milder ground the 5000 isnt very far behind but in hot ground the Z leaves all else in the dust. Sorry I thought you had purchased a 5000 and was looking for advice on it but if you are indeed looking then you will be left wanting if detecting along side a Z.

Latest posts