Reedy Creek Beechworth water levels

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
Hey Parko thats a good bit of research on the rainfall events. Well done. On the RACV thing being bogged is not actually broken down and ian is more than busy enough towing vehicles to us and others that have real dramas even if it was through inattention at the bowsers :rolleyes: 8.(

Heh, Jethro. I got that off the Beechworth community FB page. I haven't been to Reedy for a few weeks, and won't till the ground dries out a bit. The Feb 2011 rain event mentioned had water flowing down my back yard, cascading ankle deep into the garage/workshop. It cut gutters in my driveway 6" deep.

You could say 2016 is the year of the endless winter.Yesterday I was driving into Ballarat, hail,and a freezing cold day.
This year the trees are very slow at coming into leaf.

Regards Frank

Went to Woolshed area yesterday to run the high banker. Lots of erosion of the river banks due to the recent heavy water flow.

Some large trees have fallen in as well.

I camped along Reedy from Wednesday to last night. Was flowing rather rapid where we choose to setup. Made mining very hard for us. Don't think we even got .1 of a gram. :(

I was there over the weekend. You'd have no problems now where the creek bed widens out a bit, but my usual spot was still flowing too aggressively to worry about.

This area is the closest to me in Leneva, but I need to understand where I can and can't access along the Reedy. Is all Reids Way that is out of bounds for prospecting?

Do I ask Council? Any landowners friendly?

As has been said before...the law goes against local councils' tourism marketing

According to Earth Resources, "Prospecting is not allowed in the streams and rivers listed below.....Reedy Creek Tributary of Ovens River".
(I can't yet post links)

However, as you point out Jethro..on the official council Tourism Wangaratta website....

"Gold panning or fossicking along the creek is a very popular and successful hobby and its a great way to experience the Gold Rush of this once bustling mining area. For gold panning, a miners right is needed and can be purchased at the Information centre in Wangaratta or Beechworth. Eldorado is the one place in the whole of Australia where you will have a virtual guarantee to find gemstones and crystals along the whole expanse of Reedy Creek, the richest of all Australian Creeks."

(I can't yet post links)

Has anyone actually been fined or charged over prospecting in a Victorian creek or river?

sawdan,

Suggest you call into the Beechworth Tourist Information Centre.....see a bloke behind the counter called Rod......he does a bit of fossicking in the area himself, and can fill you in on all aspects of fossicking in the part of Reedy Creek that is open for such activities. He is very helpful, and knows the area quite well.

And a word of caution....if you decide to venture over to the south side of the creek and do a bit of 4wd exploring, make sure you've got at least a mud-map of the tracks over there....the voice of experience :)

Latest posts