Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's possible they didn't have enough information on him at the time of the other scams. But I practically sent them a full file on the guy. They were "impressed", and couldn't believe I got his photo, real phone number and address. And thanks to those who files complaints about him in the past, as they showed on his police record, so they know he's the right guy. So I'm really thankful to whoever that was.
For now, I think I'll have a bit of a break from this whole debacle, and let the police do their job, and see what comes of it.

Always google bsb numbers before you pay anything - Gum TREE

Hi All

As from another FB forum...

Always google bsb numbers before you pay anything and in particular on Gum Tree etc...

If the name turns out to be Something like this BSB Name - Woolworths EDM Prepaid

Then be aware that the Card / Account is going to be untraceable and once your $ is in and they have extracted...

The card is going to end up being dumped and or passed around to others

The item you thought you paid, may never arrive and no way of tracing the person with your $$$ 8.(

Take care and stay safe...

Don't Night Hawk on private property... It could work out very expensive.

So i was hoping to buy this minelab etrac from a guy in yeppoon. He said he would post it to me. This hasnt happened and he is now uncontactable. Ive been to acorn.gov.au and advised them of this scam and hopefully whoever the guy is gets his soon.
here are the guntree add photos he used and the add
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...0de7-21e7-4b4b-b4ad-948bc118b365&cs_call=true
if these pics look familiar please pm me
1427771822__20_1.jpg
1427771837__20.jpg

lesson well learnt. Dont trust gumtree sellers to post your item
ive lost 725$
Big lesson learnt :(

World is full of assholes mate I'm sorry to hear, I was scammed off gumtree also got sold a fake GMT, as much my own fault for not checking I to it more but long time gone trusting another person these days, few and far between.

Two things flag this add as sus. The member registered in 2015.... Thats a red flag. His description is a cut and paste....not a red flag, but not a good thing either. I assumed you paid by bank transfer...massive red flag!....never ever do that on gumtree, or ebay. If you paid by paypal, you can prob get your money back. Gumtree is only for inspecting, and paying in person. Same goes for forum trades, do your homework, and ask around....send a PM to a longtime member, and look at sellerd post history. I have seen people scammed on forums :( Sorry this happened to you.

treasureman said:
So i was hoping to buy this minelab etrac from a guy in yeppoon. He said he would post it to me. This hasnt happened and he is now uncontactable. Ive been to acorn.gov.au and advised them of this scam and hopefully whoever the guy is gets his soon.
here are the guntree add photos he used and the add

if these pics look familiar please pm me

lesson well learnt. Dont trust gumtree sellers to post your item
ive lost 725$
Big lesson learnt :(

I was looking at that advert a week or so back and wondering why the seller made no mentioon of the attached Sunray probe pinpointer shown in the photo. The powerpoints on the wall don't look Australian to me either.

Here's the original advert for the pics: http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/metal-detectors/minelabs-e-trac-w-accessories_i215

As long as the ebay seller has some history there is nothing wrong with purchasing on ebay
but make sure you pay via Paypal which offers buyer protection.

With the ANZ Bank direct deposits can be investigated and funds can be returned. So if
you made a direct deposit payment ask your bank about this.

If you paid by Paypal though raise a paypal dispute and funds can be returned.

How did you make the purchase?

Was it through an email or phone call?

If you have the guys ph number and he is in Australia I would be inclined to make an enquiry with
the Federal Police by walking into one of their offices. Gumtree may have IP Address related history
and mobile ph data may be able to be recovered.

Don't give up and try to get your money back.

That is just horrible Treasureman.
Hopefully others will read of your experience and learn from it.
Please be careful out there people.
If it seems to good to be true it usually is.
I have used Ebay and Gumtree to buy items in the past, but only when I can knock on a door,
look at the goods before I hand over the hard earned.

Leave no stone unturned to get your $ back.

If your using Gumtree to buy stuff I would be using Paypal as a Payment processor and
make sure you communicate via phone and do an order confirmation where they need
to reply to as proof the transaction is being made. COD is great but you don't know what
you have in the box until you have paid for the COD.

I got scammed once back in 1999 with a camera sale and western union payment. I was
willing to take the gamble though because of the price it was selling at and as they say
if it is too good to be true then it is.

Some sellers on Gumtree will not allow you to pick up an item such as a cupboard unless
you pay them first as a security measure. This happened to my brother.

Ouch, sorry to hear. PayPal is definitely the way to pay and have protection on your money, I've had 2 disputes in the past and received money back both times, one was for $1500.

Sorry to hear you have been scammed.

Just a heads up to a couple of posters, be aware that Paypal does not provide the same protection outside of Ebay. Purchases are mostly covered through Ebay but outside of Ebay Paypal will try to help you recover your money but they won't guarantee it.

Only ever buy through Gumtree if you can pay COD or pay when you pick the item up.

Items listed on Gumtree aren't covered by PayPal. :mad:
PayPal said:
Eligibility

S12.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

I. Your purchase isnotfor:
a. Vehicles (including cars, motorcycles, caravans, boats and planes);
b. Custom made items considered to be significantly not as described;
c. Industrial machinery used in manufacturing;
d. Items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy;
e. eBay Items that breach eBay's "Prohibited and Restricted Items and Services" policy;
f. Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf; or
g. Quasi-cash items such as gift cards, pre-paid cards or deal vouchers;
h. Items listed on Gumtree.

mbasko said:
Items listed on Gumtree aren't covered by PayPal. :mad:
PayPal said:
Eligibility

S12.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

I. Your purchase isnotfor:
a. Vehicles (including cars, motorcycles, caravans, boats and planes);
b. Custom made items considered to be significantly not as described;
c. Industrial machinery used in manufacturing;
d. Items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy;
e. eBay Items that breach eBay's "Prohibited and Restricted Items and Services" policy;
f. Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf; or
g. Quasi-cash items such as gift cards, pre-paid cards or deal vouchers;
h. Items listed on Gumtree.

Yes your right and I did learn something new today.
Going by the policy below but the strange part is you can link your
paypal account to your gumtree listing and I think Gumtree is owned by ebay.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/m...1_PayPal_Seller_and_Buyer_Protection_Policies

Latest posts