Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duck I found the most gold with the 4000 with a 14 inch round coiltek coil mono. Because of the areas I went to which were scrubby and over grown I changed to the 14 x 9 NF mono with as good a result. The 4000 was a very underrated detector in my book and I would be equally happy to have it still .

8" Mono in Sensitive Smooth is deadly, but only in shallow ground.

Had great success with the 14" DD Pro on the 4000. Run it in DD Normal in hotter ground, and Mono Sensitive Extra in quieter ground.

My mate is having his best success with the NF14" mono on his 4000.
Damn amazing the size of smaller nuggets he has snagged with this coil in its Smooth timing which has produced his best nugget haul so far.
Did an air test between his 4000 in its Smooth timing with this 14" mono against my 5000 and NF 18" mono on a larger target and only a slight edge to the 5000.
Damn good all-rounder coil I reckon is the NF14" mono.

The Boost Audio setting on the 4k is not very polite compared to the Boost Audio on the 45-5k, but you can lower the gain a tad to compensate. This setting gives a little more sensitivity back to the S/S timing but have to warn you, the threshold will be a tad chattery.

Like all things tho, if you use it for long enough, it will become the norm. Better suited to small/medium coils, and low EMI conditions. Other than that, the Deep Audio setting has some lifting ability that can help, yet it tends to moan a little on noisy ground. Never did like Deep on the older models, but Deep and Sensitive on the GPs had its followers.

Hi All
I have been swinging a 705 and my "go to" detector THE Excalibur for a few years now, and have done OK
For years I have done a bit of wet prospecting, but a misspent youth means it kills my back for weeks afterwards. So recently I picked up a GPX4000 with a Nugget Finder 14x9 mono to add to the collection to allow me to continue with my habit of chasing gold in the hills (more time standing up than on my knees)

With wet prospecting there are buckets and pans and sieves and blah.. . but the detector simplifies this a little... and i was thinking... . I may be able combine my 1st passion of motorcycles with detecting if I can get the size of the bundle down (a few other considerations are water / dust / vibration proofing... but the biggest issue is size at the moment)

Has anyone seen a 3 piece rod assembly that would be suitable for the GPX? Maybe a travel shaft?
(i have seen these for the Excalibur but they are aluminium)

Alternatively can anyone point me at a location that sells the discrete components used to make a shaft? (the plastic clamp / press button locating doohickies, etc). As I was thinking I could source the carbon / glass rods from the USA or a local hobby shop and make my own. This is however a 2nd choice, as I would prefer a finished product than something I half ar** cobbled together :D

Any and all suggestions and feedback is appreciated

Cheers

toecutta (jason)

a small backpack could house the coil, control box and battery.
That leaves the shaft which breaks into 2 pieces. Whack them into a fishing rod bag
and tie to the backpack.

Alternatively look at your local fishing rod builder and just commission him to build you what you want from your own needs and specs.
Just supply him with what do-hickys you need to incorporate and see if he can make a shaft for you.
Just thinking out loud here. Never done this myself .
Id be popping into one of the smaller tackle shops around the Eastern Burbs and just asking the question.

Met a bloke at Hill End, he had a great setup for his bike that he carried on the back of his 4wd. He adapted a telescopic carbon fibre camera pole and had his GPX break down to go in his panniers.

From memory, the pole end was the perfect size to take the end section of the GPX.

It might be worth doing an eBay search to see what sort of telescopic poles are out there.

nice one wally

top idea :cool:

save so much fuel if i can ride my Big (DR800) instead of driving the vitara

Thanks folks!
there are some good suggestions in this. I would not of thought about fishing / photography poles as a source for the rod material

Hey Doctor,
are you on ADV? or is there just a coincidence of bike and screen name?

cheers

jason

Cool! Funny how interests in things cluster. Maybe we will catch-up at Windeyer in April and Ill introduce myself?

Does anyone know a source of the twistlock clamp used on the rod extension?... Google drew a bit of a blank

sounds good , i will be on a wee small blue Zook, no room for my 5000 , but hey more room for beer(at pub, #livingfrommywalletthatweekend )
, hehehe

a pillow and a sleeping bag is my load

Doctor said:
save so much fuel if i can ride my Big (DR800) instead of driving the vitara

Agreed :)

It's one of the reasons I ended up going with the SDC 2300, it's extremely portable and fits nicely on my DR 650.

Good luck with the pole.

If you can get a Coiltek 11" DD Pro coil cheap give that a go I found this to be excellent on the 4000 though the 17x11 NF, 14" Round Coiltek Mono and 14" Coiltek DD Pro where all great coils on the 4000 I guess it depends if your a round or elliptical kind of guy.

Cheers,
James

You don't hear much about the 4000, I came across this post while doing a search.

I'm looking at getting my first pi detector and am thinking of a 3500,4000 and 4500, though the 5k has come down a bit due to the new 7k coming out.

Like everyone I'm after the most bang for my $.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

D

The 14" nugget finder is awesome and super quiet.

If you want a hot small coil the 8" round detech
Is awesome and have compared it.

Hey guys just watched the GPX factor video for my new old gpx4000, it is a super informative
Dvd on how to get the best out of the machine, gives you excellent inside on what the settings
Do and how they change the characteristics of the machine, worth every penny, anyone new to
The game with GPX series or gp series minelabs get the video associated with that detector, and
Will come out with a heap of knowledge to get you started.

Wish it Was 6 DVDs long not just 2

Latest posts