Minelab GPZ7000 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question i have is how many of these users have used
A 14" mono previously as the main go to coil?

What this all may confirm Is that there are deeper nuggets
and maybe we we need To start using larger coils such as
a 16" or 18" mono. In fact i think there may be a surge in
Demand for these coils.

I think the other thing too is Gold may of been missed
previously Due to the high use of mono coils where your
relying on the Main mono point section to detect a target
compared to a dd Where you scan the ground with the
width of the coil. This was Previously discussed during the
end of last year with a prospector In WA who confirmed
the same thing.

I am looking at this from a technical perspective and all i can
Say Its very very interesting.

PhaseTech said:
2 nice lumps have been found in Vic, posted on 4umer. Also, some nice lumps have been posted up on the GPZ7000 Users Group on Facebook.
And it's only been 1 week.

Nenad

+1 for that

The one thing you need to remember is that as you go up in coil size, even going from a 15x12 mono to a 16" mono, you lose a bit of sensitivity. So on certain targets that will equate to a loss of depth. That's the beauty of the GPZ, you're getting small coil sensitivity and larger coil depth with the one coil.

Wolfau said:
The question i have is how many of these users have used
A 14" mono previously as the main go to coil?

What this all may confirm Is that there are deeper nuggets
and maybe we we need To start using larger coils such as
a 16" or 18" mono. In fact i think there may be a surge in
Demand for these coils.

I think the other thing too is Gold may of been missed
previously Due to the high use of mono coils where your
relying on the Main mono point section to detect a target
compared to a dd Where you scan the ground with the
width of the coil. This was Previously discussed during the
end of last year with a prospector In WA who confirmed
the same thing.

I am looking at this from a technical perspective and all i can
Say Its very very interesting.
Coils used (Minelab PI's only):
SD2200D - 14X7 NF mono, 14" round Coiltek DD, 11" round Minelab DD. All probably spent equal time in use - used depending on area. Most successful coil was the 11" round DD.
GPX5000 - 14X7 NF mono, 11" round Minelab mono, 16" round Coiltek mono, 17x11 NF mono. The 14x7 NF was a definite go to coil & the one I had most success with, although the 11" round Minelab mono was a good coil too. Didn't spend a great deal of time using the others.
Coils are very area dependent - no use running around using an 18" coil in shallow, rocky, crevice riddled ground that you need a small coil to get into with & no use patch hunting wide open areas with a sadie.
People, especially those in Victoria, have been complaining for years about not getting enough depth out of the available detectors & big coil combinations. The SD, GP & GPX series have all been able to punch deep & all have been over ground with large coils. Again my belief is that "depth advantage" has been more about improving ground handling, external interference filtering & improved audio functions not raw depth per se.
In short I think many people do use large coils already depending on ground & there won't be a big rush on them now. They have been used extensively since SD days.
Call me optimistic but I think in time when people really start to nut out the manual settings etc. on the GPZ we will see some bigger, better, deeper finds start coming through. Like Nenad said there has already been some good ones this week alone!
People were expecting fist sized nuggets at 2m depth I think & as this hasn't happened aren't happy?
There's a lot to like about the GPZ & I see it as a definite improvement but definitely no need to sell your kidneys yet :lol: Keep plugging away with what your got if unsure or you can't afford it like me. Get a bigger coil for your machine if you think it will help in your area?
Another question to pose - is there as much large, deep gold left or even at much greater detectable depth as we think anyway?

After reading a little bit about the ZVT tech in other places I think there will be major advances in the tech to come. This GPZ model maybe superseded quickly?
I'm very much a noobie to detecting however I would have thought there was much more gold at depth, smaller gold that costs more digging.

I also see that Whites have a similar PI/VLF hybrid patent pending.

Well balanced post mbasko, as always.

There has to be an initial learning curve on a new machine. Hell its taken me about 150 hours with the SDC to hear what its trying to tell me, and it has virtually no settings!

The gold will come and probably already has. We are looking through a very tiny window of GPZ use on this forum and its only been 6 days since official release.

If I had one and was finding big gold I would not broadcast it till I exhausted said gold. I would want to be the first person to wave a GPZ over a particular spot. As scary as it may seem there may be people out there with their GPZ that think just like me. :eek:

Trashy you have the best machine on the market, learn its quirks and be at one with your GPZ! ;)

Patience is a virtue.

RS

Wintersnake said:
After reading a little bit about the ZVT tech in other places I think there will be major advances in the tech to come. This GPZ model maybe superseded quickly?
I'm very much a noobie to detecting however I would have thought there was much more gold at depth, smaller gold that costs more digging.

I also see that Whites have a similar PI/VLF hybrid patent pending.

Steve talks more about it below.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/f...ction-balance-pulse-induction-metal-detector/

Good question mbasko. It has been brought up but perhaps takes more relevance as tech develops. Would love to hear from the doze and detect crew on nuggets at depth. I'm certain in particular areas this is true, what I know to be true is rich alluvial smaller finds (nuggety bodied gold) could be found at depths from 3 feet to many feet in places using hand digging. I still believe that some areas that produced occasional multi ouncers at depth when chasing the wash layer must have some left behind. Targeted digging would surely sort the alluvium overburden from more nuggety gold. Just a question of depth and putting the coil over something large enough. Isolation of target signals in heavy mineralization is still as relevant today as it was 20+years ago.

Here's an excellent post by Reno Chris:
Reno Chris (Detector Prospector forum) said:
As far as a lack of finds, I have been talking about this to a number of the dealers that I've talked to. The fact is that while the GPZ does punch deeper than its predecessors, not all gold patches have loads of nuggets at depth. Many of the desert hillside and flat patches in Australia and certain parts of Nevada and Arizona are surface concentrations formed by wind and water. although there are certainly some exceptions, these surface concentrations very commonly yield a lot of gold to the first person on them, but when they are bulldozed later, as a dozer scrapes down they get less and less gold with each pass. Often times within a foot or two, they're getting so little gold that it doesn't pay for the fuel to run the dozer - even on a patch where the surface yielded many pounds of gold nuggets. I saw a lot of shallow dozer scrapes like this in Australia and I've seen plenty of them here in the US as well. The point of this is that while a lot of prospectors simply assume there is just more and more gold as one works downward on a patch, that is not always the case. There are cases where there is more gold as one goes down, but there are huge number of situations where as you go down there is much less gold. It's just the nature of the geology as far as how these types of formations are created. There is also another type of situation where gold bearing gravel rests upon comparatively shallow bedrock and once your detector sees down to the bottom of any crevices in the bedrock, there is just no more gold to be had.
There is no doubt there will be many areas that still hold good gold at depth.
People expecting big gold at depth on all their old patches will be disappointed picking up whatever has been left behind by others before them at similar sizes & depths.
The GPZ won't guarantee bigger, deeper gold at every old patch but from what I'm seeing at the moment will give you smoother running & what appears to be better target response that will in turn give you a better chance where deeper gold exists. If it's not there it won't find it?

Another great, wise post from the finder of a 51 gram bit (using the GPZ):
Jen58 (4umer) said:
For those of you that think this machine is going to suck big nuggets out of the ground everywhere you go, or on your old patches..even if you found deep gold there before ... Don't buy it!!! You still have to put in the hard yards and work slow.
The gold has to be there in the ground.. Not all ground is as deep as you may think it is!
Your not going to find deep gold, if it's not there!
So if you think you are going to be fifthly rich in a few days or a week from owning one.. Your wrong!
It's going to take hard work!
Unless you are a tinny bum!

Also for those of you that aren't sure, find someone you know that has one, ask if they will let you try it.

Retirement Stone said:

There has to be an initial learning curve on a new machine. Hell its taken me about 150 hours with the SDC to hear what its trying to tell me, and it has virtually no settings!

The gold will come and probably already has. We are looking through a very tiny window of GPZ use on this forum and its only been 6 days since official release.

If I had one and was finding big gold I would not broadcast it till I exhausted said gold. I would want to be the first person to wave a GPZ over a particular spot. As scary as it may seem there may be people out there with their GPZ that think just like me. :eek:

Trashy you have the best machine on the market, learn its quirks and be at one with your GPZ! ;)

Patience is a virtue.

RS

mate I have owned every minelab so I know a little about the learning curve on new machines, this is not the giant leap over the 5k we were led to believe.
don't get me wrong it is a good machine and does find gold.
the "up to 40% deeper" is more like up to 5% deeper in vic when cross checking targets with a 5k it's pretty rare not to get a good response on the 5k over same target (sometimes better)

I was not expecting huge nuggets at depth because we have been using lots of different size coils from 8" up to 40" dd and mono for years on machines from the sd to the gpx and would not expect a 14" coil to compete with that.
what I was expecting (hoping) was the 5 to 20 grammers just a little deeper than what were getting now, not just the small stuff like the 2300

several different patches have been gone over in different ground types, one patch gave up just over 1200 oz down to 1 metre with past machines, so there is no way there's none left there.

the emi handling is great

again it is a good machine and does find gold, but it's not what was promoted.

not telling anyone not to buy it, just my opinion after using it.

1425085598_7000_5000_graph.jpg

after using the 7000 I'd agree with this graph. different shape nuggets will be found at different depths, but as a comparison on the same nugget it looks right to me. double the price of a 5k and hearing the sales pitch leading up to the release I expected more. but that's just me
regards trashy

Hi Mbasko.
And thanks

Hi Trashmagnet..

We also have had every machine from the word go..

You are right! This machine may not do want minelab has said it should do.
Even though we found a quartz specie mostly solid gold... at about 20 inches deep.
We would like to see it punch down deeper.
No we didn't compare with another machine, didn't take the 5000 with us.. Yes we a stupid! We didn't have any faith in the 7000 at the time.

I also see there are a few minelab knockers.. I am pretty sure most of you will know who I mean.
Plus the dealers and their mates are annoying, with their ....this is a great machine crap! Just sales hype..
I have a brother in-law who use to work in sales.. I didn't get along with him, still don't.

It's just making people think, sh!t! This machine will find gold everywhere,
we had better run out and buy one, and beat everybody to the spots.. Or there won't be any gold left..
Rubbish hey.. You still have to walk over the gold.

Here's hoping that once a few more well respected members and friends you know, will share their opinion of this machine.
In the meantime, it would be nice to hear if minelab are going to release any updates for it, to beef it up.
If it's not punching down like people think..
We are still 50/50 about it..

trashmagnet said:
Retirement Stone said:

Patience is a virtue.

RS

mate I have owned every minelab so I know a little about the learning curve on new machines, this is not the giant leap over the 5k we were led to believe.
don't get me wrong it is a good machine and does find gold.
the "up to 40% deeper" is more like up to 5% deeper in vic when cross checking targets with a 5k it's pretty rare not to get a good response on the 5k over same target (sometimes better)

I was not expecting huge nuggets at depth because we have been using lots of different size coils from 8" up to 40" dd and mono for years on machines from the sd to the gpx and would not expect a 14" coil to compete with that.
what I was expecting (hoping) was the 5 to 20 grammers just a little deeper than what were getting now, not just the small stuff like the 2300

several different patches have been gone over in different ground types, one patch gave up just over 1200 oz down to 1 metre with past machines, so there is no way there's none left there.

the emi handling is great

again it is a good machine and does find gold, but it's not what was promoted.

not telling anyone not to buy it, just my opinion after using it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1080/1425085598_7000_5000_graph.jpg

after using the 7000 I'd agree with this graph. different shape nuggets will be found at different depths, but as a comparison on the same nugget it looks right to me. double the price of a 5k and hearing the sales pitch leading up to the release I expected more. but that's just me
regards trashy

Trashy, Well Done for the effort In doing that Test/Report, Can you tell me If That was this air Tests or in the Ground, And Can you tell me if the Ground and the air test measure up the Same or what the difference is, Thanks Mate Keep up the Good Work,

John

Ridge Runner I think that report Trashmagnet has posted was found on the web
which going by another forum I think originated from Facebook.

Trashmagnet can confirm though.

I think one thing is now a certainty though and that is the GPZ has not opened up the goldfields in the big way many had hoped. No we're not back to the time the first PI hit the market. I look forward to some positive reviews of the GPZ as so far I havne't read anything too impressive beyond marketing hype in the way of it's performance at present. It's true that releasing a new detector doesn't put more nuggets in the ground and if the above comparison report is even remotely accurate I'm not surprised it hasn't revealed more gold.

All reports seem to be deep deep deep. Anyone run it on shallow settings? the utube vid of the guy comparing signals from 5K to 7K in normal PI depth range seems to me where it will pay off.

yeah wolfy I did not do the graph, Robert and a few others from vic done it, they all have been detecting since the ark ran out of warranty, so they now what there doing and don't bother with air test's as air test's are a waste of time.
the test were done in hot vic ground.
all my comparisons were done on targets in the ground before digging.

i'll say again I'm NOT saying the 7k is crap. it's just not doing what was promoted it would do, not in vic anyway as it don't like very hot variable vic ground all that much.

jen yep I'm still up the air about it, even though I'm disappoint so far I'm hoping it somehow pulls something out of the hat as I like the idea of the machine, if the sales pitch had not been so talked up so much I think I would not be so disappointed.
it will pay for itself, just not in the way minelab said it would. not in vic anyway.
regards trashy

Wolfau said:

Thanks Mate, I don't do the face book thing So I would have never of seen it, Still I am Glad to see the GPX series is still in with A Chance as I have to put a Deposit On that 4800 on this Monday or Tuesday I was talking about,

It seems like the GPX and the GPZ both run Right on the Edge of the Laws of Physics, No matter what the Out come they are still Very good machines.

John

Ridge Runner said:
Wolfau said:

Thanks Mate, I don't do the face book thing So I would have never of seen it, Still I am Glad to see the GPX series is still in with A Chance as I have to put a Deposit On that 4800 on this Monday or Tuesday I was talking about,

It seems like the GPX and the GPZ both run Right on the Edge of the Laws of Physics, No matter what the Out come they are still Very good machines.

John

After speaking with a guy that knows the Minelabs really well I will be buying a used 4500 but
a late model one.

There is no doubt Minelab make great machines and with this new machine prices
have gone down for older units even the 5000. Seen 2 less than 3 months old sell for
less than $5000.

I am confident we will still be able to find Gold with one of these.

Have been tossing up between a 5000 and 4500.

Wack a 17x11 Nugget Finder on your 4800 and your good to go :D :D :D

Good luck with it. Now its time to go watch some AFL footy.

Latest posts