Buy the miner's right in Sydney?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi !

I know that we have to buy the miner's right to be allowed to detect gold, but I saw on the official website that we have to go to the office to have it !
But there is only offices in WA, no? So how we should do to buy it from Sydney ? By mail? Or can we send the form by e-mail?

(I don't feel well to send my credit card information by mail, maybe the lettre will be lost so...)

Thanks !

the only licence you need is if you go into state forests give me a few min i will find the link
you can pay online and print your licence out there and then
other states i am not sure about
but i understand that Victoria is the same as NSW and you can do the same on their web site pay the money and print the licence
but as i said you only require them if you are going into state forests

Thanks for the link I will take a look on it !

So we don't need the miner's right at all? Even for WA ? ( dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/Miners-Rights-2427.aspx )

Where (which state) do you what to fossick?

As Nightscale says each state has it's own rules and licences. You need buy seperate licences if you want to go to different states. If you are in Sydney and only fossick in NSW you don't need a licence at all, but if you want to go into NSW State Forests to fossick you need a State Forest Permit. If you go on private land in NSW you just need landowner permission.

There is a whole section on this forum that explains things state by state.

In NSW if on Private Land and you have a Fossicking Licence; they the land owner; is then also protected under Public Liability... So still a good reason to have one.

You need a miners right for WA. $25 for life.
Can organize it on line or at any number of Mines department offices like Kalgoorlie, Leonora etc.

Also having a miners right does not mean you can go where you like, you'll still need permissions or 40E permits if not on vacant crown land.

mbasko said:
In NSW there isn't one. Landholder's are automatically covered under legislation against liability from ALL fossickers they allow onto their property.
https://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.au/miners-and-explorers/fossicking-in-nsw

Until that piece of Law has been tested in a Court, I think you will be hard pressed to find ANY Land-owner willing to let you in under these laws...

I know quite a few that are aware of it and it's still a No until tested.... :rolleyes:

LW....

Some cockies (or more likely blockies) will use any excuse not to let you on.
Use it - don't use it. It's in the Act & NSW Resources go out of their way to highlight it on their website for our benefit. The fact is a large percentage of legislation never gets tested in court & probably never will.

:rolleyes: I know 2 that want to open Fossicking Parks and this rule/law is stoping them, no test case yet, so they don't want to Open until this happens .... And then they will be satisfied that the rules will be upheld and a precedent has been set..... As everyone knows, with a good Mouth-piece anything can happen in court...

Doesn't worry me cause these Good Fellas let me on... If I was a Land-owner, it would be a NO from me too, until this has had it's day in Court...

LW....

:rolleyes: What a crock mate! If they seriously wanted to open up "Fossicking Parks" they would be looking at their own liability insurance to ensure proper cover (& charging for access accordingly) not waiting for a section of the Act to be tested - one that may never get tested? The Act was gazetted in 1992 & still nothing 25 years later 8) I bet they're not holding their breaths waiting :lol:
It's an excuse mate & a pretty poor one in that example.
My context of adding the link was for individuals who may find it beneficial to know there is something in our legislation that may help us out with access even though we aren't require to pay for Miners Rights in NSW as such - it wasn't in the context of landholder's setting up "Fossicking Parks" that I assume would involve numerous individuals on the property at any one time. They should check out how some already existing operations are set up? If they are former mining areas they might be subject to Tourist Mine regulations anyhow!

BS friend...That bit about Land-owners are Exempt from Any legal action has only come in for the past few years.. And has not been in the act since 1992.. If it has it was very well hidden from us Fossickers and Land owners. If so why was it only bought to farmers attention in the last few years... . Anyhow im not going to argue with you over this... I know these fellas and yes they do have Insurance and want to open to a few at a time....
You can ride your Horse down there where you have your own battles to Fight Mate... I will Not respond to you anymore, cause What YOU say is Gospel?
You do forget that NAPFA could have 200 new members with my Help soon...

And YOU want My Support... :p

LW...

The clause has always existed in the legislation but had not been identified previous to July 2014 when NSW Resources added it to their fossicking page.
NAPFA communicated it on this forum:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=89186
What I say is Gospel? You need to get off your own horse mate! I am only a member of NAPFA - not a representative so your threat over membership & me wanting support is misguided. I speak for myself & offer my own opinion on things. I don't speak for NAPFA at all!

Exactly MY Point.... Not 'Public Knowledge' before 2014... And I received a letter way before that about it... After all, I have been in the Gem Industry for a long time...

and On the last Paragraph, 'You DO that well'... :rolleyes: After all I was the one who cooled the savage beasts.. at least till March... I have ordered extra popcorn for that month... Made My point...ENOUGH... :cool:

LW...

1516016421_800px_colourbox11079654.jpg

Latest posts