Detecting Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be fine for Feb as schools start back in last week of January. If you get stuck when your over just yell, as some one here will either live in the triangle or know some one who does 👍 Also put the feelers out on here for some good gear at the right price as I'm sure there are plenty of members with gear laying around idle? I know I do, but unfortunately I'm now based in Queensland though was born and raised in Castlemaine (Castlemaine being pretty much the geographical centre of what is known as the Golden Triangle) so still have family and all my mates from school days in the area, that's old school mates I add here ;) :rolleyes:
So it's destination Melbourne, take a seat and enjoy the flight 👍😂
I added this in case you get homesick 🤔 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Although February is our hottest month, given the temperatures lately I think it will be your best month. The temperatures should be considerably cooler than usual and even if it does get hot you can normally detect early morning and late afternoon. Safety wise the goldfields are surrounded mostly by farmland and towns and getting lost is almost impossible in the Triangle. Bring a GPS with you and that could save you a lot of walking if you get disorientated.

Regards Axtyr.

Just a brief note on behalf of our prospective prospecting German visitor, a Victorian hot day in general is not that of WA, Qld or NT. As an example temp forecast for today in Bendigo 28C where I am in FNQ (Far North Queensland) is 39C equals 102 F in your world 👍 If I go out detecting I leave about 4 am so I'm on the ground as day breaks and heading home around 10 am.

Benjamin,
The consensus is the Victorian Golden Triangle.
Make the travel dates that suit you best.
Hire a car when you get here.
Hire detecting equipment when you get here.
Ask for advice when you get here.

If you cannot manage one component immediately after arrival in Melbourne (which I doubt) go somewhere.
Catch a bus or a train into the countryside.

"Tip - The train service to the City of Maryborough Victoria is central to the Goldfields and has the Coiltech business for detecting equipment.
Hire cars, accommodation, everything is available in Maryborough.

Tour around, experience Australia.
Have the trip of a lifetime.

Before leaving home go through your baggage and reduce it by half and travel light. One rucksack and one soft handgrip.

Anything you want or need to buy is available.
The weather forecasting is purely conjecture and Victoria is known to experience 4 seasons in a day sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin,
The consensus is the Victorian Golden Triangle.

If you cannot manage one component immediately after arrival in Melbourne (which I doubt) go somewhere.
Catch a bus or a train into the countryside.

"Tip - The train service to the City of Maryborough Victoria is central to the Goldfields and has the Coiltech business for detecting equipment.

Tour around, experience Australia.
Have the trip of a lifetime.

Before leaving home go through your baggage and reduce it by half and travel light. One rucksack and one soft handgrip.

Anything you want or need to buy is available.
The weather forecasting is purely conjecture and Victoria is known to experience 4 seasons in a day sometimes.

Hope this helps.
that makes me some hope and sounds like a plan. i think i will follow your advice, because i never was the guy of planning everything out. enough cash, a direction to go and then start from there.

how about carp fishing in mary river? are there carp? :D what you call a pest, i call a good day fishing :p

This is a Maryborough gold fields map. This is about 1/8th of the Goldfields area in MB20221210_104751.jpg. The yellow records historical alluvial gold. The blue lake to north west is fishable, with other lakes and rivers available.

another question. is it possible to get the "miners rights" licence in Maryborough? i tried to buy them online, but it seems its only for residents. i cant fill out the hole formular, because it wants australien street, phonenumber ect.

edit:i found the answer. can buy it in every bigger city near the gold fields just in a detector shop.

Last edited:
Benjamin, you can choose any where Moliagul, Dunolly, Bendigo, Castlemaine, Maldon, Fryerstown, Chewton, Maryborough and more any or either pretty much being as good as the other. Maryborough and Bendigo you will certainly be able to buy anything you need, Bendigo much more choice as a far bigger place than Maryborough.
Maldon ?? Well choose wisely as the whole town is under Historical Value and you basically even need permission to paint your own fence :rolleyes: Mind you our Historical only goes back a fraction of that of Europe. Bloke told me recetnly from Switzerland that the house his Auntie lived in was built 500 years before Australia's first settlement 🤣

Benjamin, you can choose any where Moliagul, Dunolly, Bendigo, Castlemaine, Maldon, Fryerstown, Chewton, Maryborough and more any or either pretty much being as good as the other. Maryborough and Bendigo you will certainly be able to buy anything you need, Bendigo much more choice as a far bigger place than Maryborough.
Maldon ?? Well choose wisely as the whole town is under Historical Value and you basically even need permission to paint your own fence :rolleyes: Mind you our Historical only goes back a fraction of that of Europe. Bloke told me recetnly from Switzerland that the house his Auntie lived in was built 500 years before Australia's first settlement 🤣
so good to have you guys here in the forum. first i wanted to die in western australia and now get detained for destroying historical places :D i just saw 3-4 other mines in that area and thought the area would be great :)

Do you have recent (post-pandemic) experience with booking rental cars, Steve?

Perhaps Victoria is different, but my understanding (which reflects my son's August experience here in Perth, when he was visiting from Vancouver), is that the car rental companies dumped their fleets early during Covid, when tourism and travel ceased or were restricted. They anticipated rebuilding with new vehicles once the pandemic was over, but those plans ran aground with the ongoing supply shortages that presently see many used vehicles selling for more than new - but unavailable - ones. This seems to be borne out by several online reports I've seen of even pre-booked rental vehicles being unavailable, throwing
travellers' plans into disarray.

Lots of good comments above, please read them carefully, Benjamin.

It is easy for tourists to underestimate just how big Australia actually is and how much of it is isolated and often very hot and dry. To Australians, Germany seems a very small country!
View attachment 6330
Europe is 50% bigger than Australia and has an area of 10.5 million square kilometres, it extends from Portugal to the Ural mountains. You forgot Ukraine and European Russia which are the two largest countries.

Mate, European Russia is NOT a country, no matter what Comrade Putin might think.

The map clearly states "Europe's area (shown)" - it is presented for visual size comparison purposes, NOT as a definitive statement of which countries are or are not part of Europe. Most Australians probably regard Finland, Sweden and Norway as European, but none of them are included either.

Latest posts