Detecting Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

i registered in this Forum quite a while ago, always with the dream of visiting Australia and go detecting in the outback. i am a beekeeper, so my only chance to leave for weeks is winter in germany. means from november to february i can go on vacation. also my bees did a great job this year, so the financial "problem" is solved :)

i wanted to fly to perth and already have a tourist-visa thats available for 1 year. i also know i need "miners rights".
i saw the list of fees and it really confused me... can someone tell me the costs for all permits that i would need?
or at least tell me what permit i should have? is it only "miners rights" for 30-40 bucks?

my plan was to hire a gpx5000, a rental car, fill it up with all the equipment that is needed and go out on crownland.

is there anything speaking against that idea? i know queensland, nsw has raining season, but i dont know if it makes detecting near perth (western australia) a good idea :)

and maybe there are others that want to go out and have a good times in the bush. so if someone has plans and needs company, i got the financials to pay with beer and steaks.

already thanks for every reply :)

Come on over Benjamin, I'm sure there are plenty here can help you regards the required paperwork? Just be prepared for some extreme heat (Qld the same) being this time of the year and probably a few flies perhaps ? Enjoy your trip and keep us posted on how your doing ? Oh and keep in mind the word "near" in WA could be a thousand K away 🤔 🤣

Hello Benjamin, and welcome here.

How long do you intend to holiday in Australia?

I read November to February, where it is December already, therefore, I think you are considering November 2023 to February 2024?

Because of the then high temperatures and some dangers of remoteness, particularly W.A., I think you might consider entry to Australia via Melbourne.

All of the Victorian Golden Triangle Goldfields are only 150 kilometres (approx) away.

This is possibly more effective use of your time and for many safety and security reasons that we can help advise you about.

Benjamin,
Having lived and worked in Germany (Leer-Bremerhaven) I can fully understand your desire to leave during the Northern winter.
However, do yourself a favour and get someone else to look after your bees during your summer and come over then.
Near to Perth for practical purposes means at least 500km and more likely 1000km and not on nice roads like in Germany.
The heat (and flies) WILL kill you out there Nov to Feb.

Lots of good comments above, please read them carefully, Benjamin.

It is easy for tourists to underestimate just how big Australia actually is and how much of it is isolated and often very hot and dry. To Australians, Germany seems a very small country!
View attachment 6330

Great post Grubstake, that really shows it in perspective, had never looked at it like that before. Little old Tassie hanging off the bottom is nearly the size of Germany and we drive around that in a day :oops: 👍👍

Lots of good comments above, please read them carefully, Benjamin.

It is easy for tourists to underestimate just how big Australia actually is and how much of it is isolated and often very hot and dry. To Australians, Germany seems a very small country!
View attachment 6330
There is more people living in Switzerland than all that area of Europe is covering on that Aust. map.

Hello,

i registered in this Forum quite a while ago, always with the dream of visiting Australia and go detecting in the outback. i am a beekeeper, so my only chance to leave for weeks is winter in germany. means from november to february i can go on vacation. also my bees did a great job this year, so the financial "problem" is solved :)

i wanted to fly to perth and already have a tourist-visa thats available for 1 year. i also know i need "miners rights".
i saw the list of fees and it really confused me... can someone tell me the costs for all permits that i would need?
or at least tell me what permit i should have? is it only "miners rights" for 30-40 bucks?

my plan was to hire a gpx5000, a rental car, fill it up with all the equipment that is needed and go out on crownland.

is there anything speaking against that idea? i know queensland, nsw has raining season, but i dont know if it makes detecting near perth (western australia) a good idea :)

and maybe there are others that want to go out and have a good times in the bush. so if someone has plans and needs company, i got the financials to pay with beer and steaks.

already thanks for every reply :)
Do some research on temperatures @ that time of year, as a seasoned prospector I wouldn't even consider subjecting myself to 45 deg+ as far as I'm concerned the gold can stay there until the climate is more bearable.
YOU CAN DIE HERE if you go to the wrong places @ the wrong time of the year & don't prepare properly. It's not inconceivable to drink 6-8lt of water a day when temperatures hit 40deg
BE CAREFUL & have a safe trip!
https://media.tenor.com/Nogfer0y4r8AAAAM/dying-hungry-and-thirstya.gif

thank you for your replys :) i want to stay for 4 weeks in australia and thought on january 2023. so in a month i had time :) and before speding the money on other things, i thought it would be the right time. but doesnt seem so 😕

can you recommend another part of the country for that time of the year? or is january just a bad month all around?

would Victorian Golden Triangle Goldfields work out? also i take your cautions serious, i dont want to die in the desert. but i dont have problems with long distances driving, i drive germany - spain 1700km in one tour with 3 stops for the toilet. but i know what you all mean. there is nothing. a dieing phone and car at the same time can mean my death out there.

Victoria would work for you. Temps not extreme and even when they are is usually only for a day or two until they drop back again. Also much more facilities close by. Accommodation is easy, 4x4 vehicle wouldn't be required and many gold fields within an easy days drive of each other. Plenty of prospecting shops also basically on the gold fields so obtaining gears is no issue. In short I'd do Victoria no issue in January and if you do happen to get a few hot days there is plenty to occupy you in that time. Happy travels

Definitely not WA goldfields at that time of the year. We totally avoid going outside during the majority of the day. This week we've had 41°C for a couple of days but it's dropped to 34°C today and we should have a few days of this. We're only at the start of the high temperatures and by January I can't pick up a piece of metal or my handtools without gloves.

Definitely not WA goldfields at that time of the year. We totally avoid going outside during the majority of the day. This week we've had 41°C for a couple of days but it's dropped to 34°C today and we should have a few days of this. We're only at the start of the high temperatures and by January I can't pick up a piece of metal or my handtools without gloves.
Nothing more frustrating than digging up a 2oz Nugget & not being able to pick it up because it's so hot it'll set 🔥 to your finds bag! 😳🤣🤣🤔😢

January is peak holiday season here in Australia. Accommodation will be hard to find and rental vehicles even harder, from what I've heard. Everywhere you go other than in the bush (forest), will be packed with holidaymakers. If you are planning on hiring a detector, you need to make such arrangements now, to be sure of having one available when you arrive.

Victoria's Golden Triangle in January should be much more pleasant climatically than Western Australia at that time of year and it is not remote or rugged terrain. Temperatures in the 25-35°C range are common at that time of year, but brief peaks can rise as high as mid-40's. At that time of year, a total outdoor fire ban will be strictly enforced, as all of the bushland is highly flammable. If you are camping out, campfires and even outdoor use of gas cookers and gas lamps, are forbidden.

Roads and most tracks in the Golden Triangle area are mostly well-marked and maps showing the numerous old mining areas are readily available. More information on prospecting is available in the thread below, under the heading Victoria:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/

Yeah but to digress MB picked up some car ramps yesterday that had been laying on top of trailer, pretty heavy so got a good grip on them as I did so. Result two burnt hands by the time I could put them back down. It's viscous out there. :oops:

Benjamin I think your getting the idea heat wise in WA and Far North Queensland, NT also for that matter. I'm in FNQ and mate my laundry is outside and it's specifically fitted with an air con unit to give the dog somewhere to go when temps are high. laying under the car on concrete only works to a point 🤣 Hot ? Bloke it's so hot that during summer we don't need a stove 🤣 😂 😂 😂 😂

When living in Karratha, one of the Rangers I did some work with, commented that the few tourists they got in summer, always seemed to be predominantly German. Clearly our summer aligns with their holiday season, and Germans in particular seemed happy to travel in the heat.
It is certainly possible to travel and camp in the WA summer up north, but as others have said, it’s uncomfortable, it’s expensive, and if you’re unprepared and break-down, the heat can kill you in a single day.
Once you’ve got some more concrete plans, let folks know and I’m sure many will be happy to assist you.

then i forget about WA and would go with victoria :) seems much better for beginners. would february be better? i could manage that, but in march, at least, my bees start flying and season begins. i could find someone to take care, but its my livelyhood, i dont want that.

is feb still peak of your holiday season? to hire rental car and gear for detecting? im also thinking of buying a detector and take it back to germany. should be possible at all times?

overall i dont need much...a car, a tent, enough food and water and a detector. maybe a rod, reel for fishing, but then its perfect :)
i dont see myself in a luxury hotel, on the beach, drinking caipis with a small umbrella in it...

thank you everyone already for so many comments and help.

Latest posts