Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm batching it for a couple of days, so get to make stuff the family are not so keen on.

This is , or water boiled beef.

It is very hot, with lots of chillis and chilli bean sauce, which burn, and Sichuan pepper, which makes your mouth go numb.

I'll probably feel it tomorrow!

1467536354_boiled_beef_slices.jpg

Wishfull said:
Betchyu will mate that sounds nasty. Like the gold specs on top.

Yep, the gold specks are the chilli seeds. You fry up whole dried chillis and sichuan peppercorns till they are crunchy and a bit toasty, and then chop them up, and that goes on top of the beef boiled in chilli bean sauce and stock. Then you chuck some boiling oil on top of the lot.

It is a very good dish for a cold winter's night in Goulburn.

Wishfull said:
Love that pizza oven. Did you make it ?
That's gotta be a three week end job. But geez fun to play with around a few beers.

Nah mate I didn't make it, it's a Jamie Oliver pizza oven. He was talking them up a lot a few years ago.
Often I don't even cook in it. I'll just fire it up and drink beers whilst just looking at it!

Good luck tomorrow morning DrDuck, might be a hot one Haha

Did not get the red hots, after all. I think I have burned off all the pain receptors in the large intestine.

Anyway, the mobile fish guy comes to Goulburn on Thursdays, and today I got some sashimi grade tuna.

Seasoned it with garlic powder, onion powder, chilli, black pepper and salt, and seared it in a hot pan. While the fish rested, I made a warm vinaigrette with olive oil, very fine celery, French shallot, carrot, olives, and capers. Finished with some lemon juice and some of the seasoning I put on the fish. Tuna was nicely rare, and tasted pretty good.

1467898455_tuna.jpg

DrDuck said:
Now those look just great. What variety did you make with your allocation?

I just went with the flow Dr. Basic recipe was red wine, crushed fennel seeds, crushed peppercorns, powdered pepper, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, salt, crushed chillies. Some batches were spunked up with fresh garlic and stacks of really hot powdered chillies.

Fired up the "Dragon" on Saturday to cook a lamb shoulder that I got off my mate who breeds Dorpers.

Went with a basic rub of salt, pepper, sumac, garlic powder, some mixed herbs and a bit of olive oil.

1470638485_aug_lamb_shoulder_1.jpg

Got the temperature up to 110 C and put a few banksia pods on the charcoal for some smoky goodness ;)

A few chunks of onion and some garlic cloves in the tray and on she went.

Was aiming for an internal meat temp of around 92 C so I knew it was going to take a while (12 or so hours).

Looking and smelling good so far.

1470638485_aug_lamb_shoulder_2.jpg

Well like this breed of sheep when they are alive, this one was stubborn :/

14 hours in and it hit 89 C when I made the decision to rest it for a few hours in a pre-warmed esky.

Unwrapped it and was greeted with this

1470638486_aug_lamb_shoulder_3.jpg

The bones virtually fell out on their own and the meat was so tender and moist.

My longest cook so far and was very happy with it.

1470639300_aug_lamb_shoulder_4.jpg

Rumour has it there is another shoulder in mates freezer that may have my name on it so I guess it will have to be done "low and slow" as well :p

Cheers,

Billy.

Latest posts