Feeding water by hand ????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a way to feed water to a high banker by bucket that does not cause a surge and wash all your gold out ?

Goldfreak said:
Is there a way to feed water to a high banker by bucket that does not cause a surge and wash all your gold out ?

massive funnel....20ltr plastic drum upside down with bottom cut out to pour into..

20xwater said:
Goldfreak said:

massive funnel....20ltr plastic drum upside down with bottom cut out to pour into..
Good thinking out of the box, but that won't have anywhere near enough flow to run a banker, unless it was 5cm wide.

GF why do you want to do that?

Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:
Goldfreak said:

Good thinking out of the box, but that won't have anywhere near enough flow to run a banker, unless it was 5cm wide.

GF why do you want to do that?
looking at making something like what they used to call a "banjo sluice" I think ??? if I made a long narrow hopper that can hold at least a whole 20 lt bucket or material and could dump a large amount of water over it with out worrying about surge would certainly be able to beat those little ebay high bankers with out the need for motor or battery. Perhaps a big funnel like 20x water mentioned and a zig zagged deep sided stacked set of riffles, let's say 5 pieces x 1meter x "5cm meters wide" with gradually decreasing riffle size could be effective.

Might have to call it thea 20xwater/occasional panner gold banjo gold dumper though :) thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

exactly mate, for it to work properly you will have to go small/narrow. build a stand that sits over the little banker to hold a massive tub
of water, big gate valve for on/off/flow control. what could be possible? maybe a couple of minute run at a time but at least it would work
like a pump powered. consistent feed rate would be most important to operate your sluice config efficiently?

take it further...

even bigger tub at higher elevation eg. top of creek bank and a distance away with a decent amount of hose.

now you have head/pressure..mini spray bar...

Goldfreak..get in contact with Yobskin...

he uses a rocker that is fed by a hand operated bilge pump...as you move the pump handle it rocks the rocker...works a treat and can process a fair bit of dirt. No pump so it's legal in Qld and should work anywhere.

Yobs might have some photos he can send you. :)

Under where the box folds down restricts the water flow so it will only allow enough flow to cover the riffles
I'm trying to make my sluice convert from a stream to a hand feed out of stream sluice
I'll get the right mesh sooner or later but gota do some testing with the in stream set up first :rolleyes:
I made the frame from a 4 foot alloy step ladder and used one step to form the box which acts as a flow restrictor
I've got a small lip on the end to stop heavies blowing off the end
Mine when it is finished will be called the Greedy Sluice :p :lol: :Y:
I don't care about to much concentrates to pan off at the end as long as I don't lose any gold :eek: :lol: :cool:
I meant to try a stream test last run but ran out of time :rolleyes:
Guess you could use a rubber flap to restrict the flow too :Y:

My gap is slightly adjustable because I can flex the plate to adjust the right flow
All depends on the angle you run it at the less flow the more angle the sluice runs at...Pretty much need enough flow to cover the mesh and riffles
I've still got some experimenting to do yet :lol:

I think I'm missing something here but sounds to me like panning might be the way to go...Plenty of good choices, turbo, pyramid pro, etc that will move plenty of material and unlikely to suffer losses from surges...but if you're dead set there's a few ingenious ideas out there that will do the job.

feed into banker :lol: :lol: :lol:
1500116439_1200px-henry_sandham_-_the_monitor.jpg

not a pump, qld legal :lol: :lol: :lol:

OldGT said:
I think I'm missing something here but sounds to me like panning might be the way to go...Plenty of good choices, turbo, pyramid pro, etc that will move plenty of material and unlikely to suffer losses from surges...but if you're dead set there's a few ingenious ideas out there that will do the job.

ahhh don't be boring bro :lol:

Latest posts