First timer high banker query

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello every one first timer can someone give me the heads up on using a high banker, is the high banker illegal or is the way you get the water down it, also please send me to the governing bodies that regulate , control, or fine you

Hello every one first timer can someone give me the heads up on using a high banker, is the high banker illegal or is the way you get the water down it, also please send me to the governing bodies that regulate , control, or fine you
Those are state-based government departments. What state are you inquiring about?

Would a skinny water bucket fed drop riffle sluice work better than an old style rocker ? Never tried either but thought it might be a good place to ask as we are talking about non powered things. Maybe depends on input material ???

Ok, here's where i'm confused about highbankers. The various state rules (mostly) allow them if not used with powered water pumps. You have to manually feed the water to them somehow - which means lots of carrying water buckets. Clearly not optimal. But many Aussie "gold fossicking" YouTube videos, from all states, show them being used and with pumped water - even videos suggested in these forums. Are they just being naughty, or is there a way around the rules that I've missed?

Actually, come to think of it - maybe a work around is to pump (or siphon) the creek/river water to a water tank of some sort - one of those pallet sized tanks maybe - then use that water to run the highbanker. You're not running it from the creek directly but from a separate water source. I know, dodgy, but would that work - technically and legally?

they are legal to use in victoria ,like a few other powered devices
i would say in the you tube videos they would be using them in vic
or if in other states, they may be on their own lease/claim which they would be legal to use
or like you said being naughty

The highbanker itself is not illegal in NSW but is when connected to a water pump (mechanical, electrical etc.).
There are manual foot pumps available to suit highbankers https://highbanker.com.au/products/foot-pedal-bilge-pumps
Victoria seems to be the only state that still allows the use of a pump.
Any YouTube vids of other states like NSW, Qld, Tasmania, SA etc. would be naughty ones.
Personally I don't think carting a 1000l IBC around would be too practical for most but if gravity fed into the highbanker at a sufficient rate it would work & shouldn't break any rules? You'd need to check on the rules for your area in regards to how much water you can take from a waterway per day unlicensed (even though it's going back it may technically be deemed as taking water?).

probably should not have mentioned the limit of water allowed to take a day matt
might find that a 10 litre bucket limit a day my be forced on us 😂

all jokes aside
here in queensland a property without a water allocation are allowed what they call a domestic pipe permit requirements for that are
1 1/2 inch suction and 1 1/2 inch outlet only, the pipe up to the house can be larger to supply water
other than a allocation or a domestic pipe permit it is a no go

so i don't think they would be to impressed with a 1000l ibc sitting on the river bank
well it is queensland we are not allowed to have any fun

Latest posts