Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Megsy, sister asylum to Beechworth and Kew. Used as an asylum for 126 years before becoming a polytechnic college. I think it's now a museum, stand to be corrected on that one.

Over to you.

Don't forget haunted! :) But aren't they all...?

OK, here goes...

Who am I?

I was born in 1883 in Victoria, the eighth of nine children. My father was a compositor and sometime gold miner.
Folklore says that I panned my first pennyweight of gold at the age of seven on the familys Melton farm, and ran away at aged 12 with a Melbourne bootmaker, and lead a (mostly) itinerant life, that ended in 1965 in Ringwood, Victoria.

Seriously?! You know this one just from that?! I'm going to have to get tougher to challenge you, I think! Next time...

Although I was cremated in Victoria in 1965 - my ashes were interred in Qld, three years later.

Do you think we're the only ones visiting this site Manpa, or do they need more clues to guess it?

How about one more in case they do... And then I say you take it.

My ashes are near the town clock in the town that I discovered and named.

MegsyB007's mum called me 'Uncle Cam', although that wasn't my first name, and I was her great uncle too!

Some people might say I was eccentric. I was known particularly for my bicycle and clay pipe.

hehe!....not fair on my part...as you mentioned him in your private message to me, :p

Prospectors know to use info anywhere they find it, mate! :D

A little bit of quirky info about my Great, Great Uncle Cam, that I heard from my mother the other night.
Apparently he showed up at their home in Gippsland unexpectedly, in 1948, driving a little Austin (she thinks). This was the first time she'd met her grandpa's brother, who they all called Cam in the family. Mum said she remembers hearing the story that when he rode his bicycle across the Outback 1,500 miles, that when his tyres went flat, he stuffed them full of grass to continue the ride. She also remembers that he stayed for dinner, and when it came time to eat, he went out to his little car and came back with a little cane basket and got out a dinner plate, side plate, bowl, cup, and cutlery, and wanted to use them to eat his dinner, rather than the family's stuff! (Funny what weird things a young girl remembers!). I reckon Great-great-uncle Cam was a bit of an 'odd duck', from the sound of him! :D

Ok, it's been a while since I snagged a question here, so I will need to get back to you all a little later on. Besides...dinner is served. :cool:

Ok here's a relatively easy one...At what place was the first ...official Victorian Gold Licences issued.

I actually saw that one, but I didn't think it was the first one. I haven't found the answer yet though - but I've read some fantastic articles in the 1851 Argus newspaper while searching! Don't you just love reading the old newspapers?! :cool:

Latest posts