Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got it

http://www.johnboyleoreilly.com/
https://youtu.be/pwMlMpndUic
http://folkstream.com/021.html

He was a Fenian but in the British army and therefore considered dangerous, and sentenced to death but this was commuted to transportation to WA. Father McGuire, and two local farmers Maguire and "M" ("M"'s identity hidden for his safety) hid him - "M" was my great great great grandfather Moriarty in whose house he hid ("M" was in charge of his road gang I think). They rowed him out to an American whaler at night, and he escaped to Boston where he edited the Boston Pilot and continued as a poet (apparently JFK's favourite). Other Fenians worked with him to buy a ship in Indonesia and sail it to Perth, where they broke 6 Fenian prisoners out of Fremantle gaol. A British gunboat threated to fire on them but they hoisted the American flag and dared it to fire on an American ship - and sailed away.

Over to you.....

I am not Jimmy the Whistler or Bandy Legged Jimmy, I
could ride a horse better than most men. never shot
anyone and new a good horse when i saw one.
who am i ?

Looks like your all stumped.

This iconic person was around the same time as a couple of wannabe bush rangers held up the Moree pack-horse mailman. These two hapless gents,Jimmy and Bandy were wrapped up pretty quickly and thrown into jail.
The Royal mail was held up in Jan 1870, in the spoils was the wages for the first school teacher of Bingara, Mr Edward Wood.
Fred Ward aka..THUNDERBOLT, an outstanding horseman and judge of horses, was the suspect.
Born in Windsor NSW, 1835, at an early age won fame as a jockey and horse breaker. He was arrested in 1856 for receiving stolen horses and was sentenced to 12 years hard labour. Released conditionally from cockatoo island prison in July 1860 Fred Ward worked as a horse breaker in inland areas until his ticket of leave was cancelled in September 1861 for "absence from muster" and he was returned to Cockatoo Island to complete his original sentence, plus an additional 3 years.
Evading the sentries one night in 1863, Ward made the perilous swim through shark infested waters to the mainland, reports suggest he was assisted by his de-facto wife, half aboriginal, Mary Ann Bugg. He became a legend in the New England District of NSW and at a police conference to discuss Ward a police superintendent remarked.
"upon my soul, the man is a veritable thunderbolt", and the name stuck.

And some of his 'Loot' is still hidden in a cave along with a Skeleton somewhere in the XxxX Ranges... Every time I go up there im looking for the Cave... Found 2 caves, but only Bats inside... The search continues... :cool:

LW.....

Nah, not the right area for these Caves.... Worth going back for a better look tho, as Thunderbolt had quite a few Hide-outs, all over the place, all with supplies and proceeds of his robberies stashed in them.... The Hunt will continue... :Y:

LW....

Latest posts