Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
even if the 5000 is assembled in a foreign country that would be the choice of the people who design the detector,im sure they didnt sign off on it being ripped off,and then sold all over the world.Its not about who makes the units its about who's making a ripped off product and then trying to flog it off back to us..... Some indervigual/s sat behind a desk or bench or computer or whatever designed this detector,and put it on the market for us to enjoy and then to have it ripped off.....well i dont know about some of you but that turns my bloody gut 8)

Gold689 said:
:D :D I'm no expert on GPX nor have one, ;)

Only a person who is unbiased to the subject and have not spent $7k or lost money because they bought fake GPX.

Any member who has experience using legit and fake GPX please come fort and enlighten us on the matter.

This exclude minelab products seller or friend of the seller,, that would be totally biased :D :D :lol:

You should get one then you could come forth & enlighten all of us who have wasted our time & money on buying genuine products - Minelab or otherwise.
When you figure out that your Chinese version won't detect an engine block at 1mm let alone a sub gram nugget you'll be able to tell us all what a bargain you got. :rolleyes: :lol:
I've read reports on other forums, try Google, that say the inner workings are from cheap VLF's so yes some may work to a degree. The timings etc. are basically just knobs & menus for show. They don't do anything!!! Another report on one tested in Africa they couldn't get it to detect anything at all! My daughters toy one from kmart will even detect metal objects :lol:
If anyone has a fake & would like to arrange a comparison let me know. I'm sure we can arrange a non biased judge of performance.

loamer said:
The rip-offs are nothing but trouble. They usually don't work properly AND there is no after sales service. Reeks is spot-on, buy a second-hand PI of any reputable brand that is verified as being genuine. Same as the Chinese 'Great Wall' ute - know why they have heated rear windows? So you can keep your hands warm while pushing them. The fake 5000s make great wall stud finders.
so true about the great wall! a mate of mine decided he would get one he came over to take me for a spin. at the first set of lights he nearly killed me the turbo timing was so far out the car took off then pulled back no power then a huge acceleration. funny thing was he didnt think there was anything wrong..... told him to call great wall hes car has since been recalled three times.

you can put a nissan style engine in s rodeo body but it doesnt mean itll do the job of either. fake is fake

OK the 5000 is made in china that's fact and the fakes are
well let's say maybe real but the deal is that you need to
understand three years in development , who pays for that?
We should of coarse its not about the components its about
People and there efforts to produce a working product , not
COPY it .who cares about testing a fake its still screwy like a
rabbit if you asks me.wrong wrong wrong bloody copy finks. :mad:

Lets play your idea mbasko ;)

for example i bought the fake gpx and use it, how would I know if its working properly if I don't have the legit gpx version side of things to compare it with.
you get where I'm getting at :)
no one owns both legit and fake at the same time to compare and most people who bought the fake ones are too embarrass to come forward.
and the people who bought the legit gpx are too proud and wouldn't even wanna hear the fake side of things or too worried that they might got over charged.

The discussion is all about unbiased facts and survey,, and specially no one is saying about wasting money or time buying legit gpx products and I am no were close to promoting fakes or rip off products. what a bargain you got you say :lol: no one wants to waste any money that they work hard for.

We are simply after a good comparison of what to look out for or what is and what not to do in the near future ;) and how we spot and distinguish the real GPX to the fake.

Every body is saying don't buy fake!! well how would I know the difference between the two if no one is giving us the right ''INFO''

RIGHT INFO and CURIOSITY

aren't you curios what makes your gpx genuine legit and what makes a fakes FAKE
(just because someone said so we will leave it at that) :lol:

FACTS :) plain and not so simple :lol: :D

Gold689 said:
:D :D I'm no expert on GPX nor have one, ;)

Only a person who is unbiased to the subject and have not spent $7k or lost money because they bought fake GPX.

Any member who has experience using legit and fake GPX please come fort and enlighten us on the matter.

This exclude minelab products seller or friend of the seller,, that would be totally biased :D :D :lol:

How about you buy one and run it against a legit 5000 and then comment? The fakes are not copies in the sense that they have the same design specs, software uploads (a very important aspect of the real GPXs), circuit boards etc - they are either a rebadged dodgy VLF or just a pile of flashing light electronics. If they worked the same as the real 5000, or any other ripped off brand, don't you think we would have all bought them. Copy is a bad word - they are pieces of shite designed to look (almost) the same as the legit product. They have been tested but these tests were done by Minelab (and other manufacturers of their ripped of products) so that would therefore fail your 'unbiased' test. They are direct breaches of intellectual copyright but China (the main offender) either cannot or can't control the manufacture of these items - same for dodgy fake car parts, baby food formula etc etc. Its not only Minelab who has been hit, Garretts have copped it as well. Numerous Australian and international prospecting forums have warned their members to beware and the manufacturers have good advice on how to spot and avoid the copies.

There are people on this and other forums who spend time tracking down and exposing dodgy detector deals, fakes etc - such people should be aware we will report these shonks to ebay and the Australian dealers/manufacturers.

Oh I think the words '..point fingers' and 'biased' may have got a few eyebrows raised. People need to understand the history behind these pieces of garbage and I have seen too many sad tales of people coughing up big $$ for fakes and even expensive legit brands that do not have a hope in hell of every finding anything. I have not been burnt - know why? I only ever buy from dealers and I am a firm believer in 'poor man pays twice' (buy crap - you'll be sorry).

yea im sorta regretting i posted it now :rolleyes:
A fake exists for no other reason but to rip people off and is always inferior in every way, It may look the part, sold at an inflated cost and only gonna get screwed over with it. A replica/homage On the other hand is made to look the same, do the same thing and sold at far less the price of the real thing so that those who cannot afford or acquire the real thing can still own a "copy" of it
This is a fake and it sounds like a dam good looking one at that (notice i say looking) going by some of the forum reviews i have seen

I have a Soviet CCCP CHS-191 dive watch it took me 3 years to find a real one online and i paid $300 (real value is someplace near 1k) for it, the homage of this watch has an updated movement, nickle plated housing (the real one is stainless steel) and cost $350 but it is made to look the same but with very distinct and deliberate markings to make it different, manufactured by a totaly different company still in Russia
My point? If your gonna knock someones shit off at least have the decency to make changes so that it cant be passed off as the real thing and defraud people

Gold689 said:

for example i bought the fake gpx and use it, how would I know if its working properly

I take it this post is in jest, with all the info out there?

Redfin said:
Gold689 said:

for example i bought the fake gpx and use it, how would I know if its working properly

I take it this post is in jest, with all the info out there?

I would hope so. Shouldn't take too long to figure out :/
For peats sake they are fakes in every sense of the word not even poorly made copies.
Like I said my daughter's plastic kmart toy will work better! :lol:

Drbean said:
OK the 5000 is made in china that's fact and the fakes are
well let's say maybe real but the deal is that you need to
understand three years in development , who pays for that?
We should of coarse its not about the components its about
People and there efforts to produce a working product , not
COPY it .who cares about testing a fake its still screwy like a
rabbit if you asks me.wrong wrong wrong bloody copy finks. :mad:
The GPX5000 is not made in China. The fakes are not maybe real but plain and simple fakes. The only thing copied is the outer case etc. & this is usually poorly done with spelling mistakes and incorrect wording + label fonts. They do however sometimes have a copied serial number that is correct but if you get Minelab to cross reference it with where it was sold you can soon snuff them out too.
Just don't buy a fake purposely, be bad enough getting duped, as you will be sorely disappointed.
This thread shouldn't be about comparisons as there isn't one. One machine is genuine and works - one is fake and doesn't. Plenty of evidence about I don't need to run unbiased testing to prove it but will gladly assist if necessary.
We should be talking about what to look out for to make sure our peers/mates/acquaintances don't get ripped off not trying to make these fakes out to be possibly something they definitely aren't.
Andrew Grech from Golden Triangle Tours owns both, bought a fake off a customer that had been duped for instructional purposes. Give him a ring I'm sure he'd let you know how they compare. Even better do a training day or tour with him & he'll more than likely show you.
Info on fakes & how to spot them: (for those interested)
http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/where-to-buy/buyer-beware
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=281411912006442&set=pcb.281412255339741&type=1&theater

I don't think there is any denying that they are simply tarted up detectors to have the appearance of a gpx5000, and that is about the end of it. There is a thread on another forum covering this where someone posing as a buyer requested information from the chinese mass producer. The result was that the seller openly admitted that they are not the same machines, and simply copies made to have the appearance of a 5000 in every aspect. There is a lot of confusion out there with conspiracy theories on minlab posting up a "chinese copy" with cheap VLF innards, but almost an exact copy externally - whether that was actually made up by minelab to scare off buyers opting to buy a chinese copy rather than going through Australian dealerships is anybodies guess.

Same goes for detectors like the GMT, but with a difference, in this case it is not chinese copies making there way here to Australia, but grey imports bought in bulk and sold on the Australian market, unauthorised by the parent company. Since that has occurred, it was found that they were indeed genuine units, all internals were the same, including factory markings, hardware, serials etc. Dealers get cagey about thsse particular detectors, as they do not appear on their records as being sold through an Australian or US distributors, hence the suspicion of originating from elsewhere.

I think in this instance, it provides fodder for for the conspiracy theorists with regards to the gpx5000, but when you think about it, why the hell would minelab continue to have their detectors made by the chinese (if that were so), if the chinese factories were selling them onto the open market at a reduced price, and outside of the minelab dealer network - just doesn't make any sense.

The simple fact is, the chinese aren't accountable to anyone, and will copy anything to make a buck. Just have a look at all the "Fender" electric guitars being sold on Alibaba, blatantly copied fender decals, shape, colours, design, but the hardware and electronics are just crappy & cheap items usually found on a $150 guitar. Yes, china did produce the cheaper line of Fender Squier guitars at one stage under licence, but the factories that were tooled up to make them are still churning them out, albeit labelled as amore expensive guitar, and no longer under licence.

Unfortunately, litigation wise, there seems to be very little the original manufacturers can do to prevent the chinese from mass producing copies of their current products, or continuing to produce very similar products once the original manufacturing licence has expired. Who knows, maybe minelab did outsource some of the non critical components manufactured in china at some stage (just speculation), but I think they would hold their cards pretty close to their chest with regards to the electronics and technologies behind their detectors, otherwise china would actually be producing 1 for 1 gpx5000 copies with comparable performance, and minelab would be broke.

mbasko said:
''We should be talking about what to look out for to make sure our peers/mates/acquaintances don't get ripped off''

Andrew Grech from Golden Triangle Tours owns both, bought a fake off a customer that had been duped for instructional purposes. Give him a ring I'm sure he'd let you know how they compare. Even better do a training day or tour with him & he'll more than likely show you.
Info on fakes & how to spot them: (for those interested)
http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/where-to-buy/buyer-beware
http://www.goldcitydetecting.com/counterfeitgoods.php

Good Info mbasko :D

It's a start for those who is looking for the PROS and CONS of having a GPX5000 :)

''We should be talking about what to look out for to make sure our peers/mates/acquaintances don't get ripped off''

this paragraph here is the sole purpose of this Subject. To Educate new would be prospectors

Many thanks Mate ;)

I am after a PI machine and have located a GPX here, sold/made in the US.
Will any minelab made or sold in the Usa be the same as the ones sold here (suitible for our conditions and mineralization).

Thanks

Here is a 5000 going at a good price, minelab dealer in NZ has said it is a genuine one...Thay also have the sale receipt. I am still a few bucks short (OK, a lot short LOL) otherwise I would get it. Pics include serial number. Don't know what the import price would be to bring to Oz? Cheers

PS I have bought lots of stuff from this site, even some gold :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=708028866

Hi.
Thanks for that.... but i have stopped looking.

I received my second hand GPX4500 this afternoon, standard with one coil for $3400. I have ordered a new power cable as this one looks a bit suss and I m also going to buy another coil, I just need to decide on an "all round coil".
I have a lot to learn from stepping up from the ATgold to a GPX.
Cheers

Nice...I will have to wait till next year as am saving very very hard for a holiday later this year and can't divert the funds (though sorely tempted) - But taking 11yo daughter to Disneyland comes first. (OK OK, Hong Kong Disneyland, but still a biggy I hope - She does not know...yet) Where you at? I hired a 5000 for a day in Bendigo, managed to find some lead shot but no gold. Cheers

Latest posts