Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also saw the same add a couple of weeks back. from memory used a different name. Ifirst thought was : fake

People, I have been offered a gpx5000 for under two grand. Obviously treading carefully. Did all the detectors come with security stickers or only recent ones?

I presume I can call minelabs before I hand over cash?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jim.

first port of call is ask where it was bought from . if they cant tell you where then its either fake or stolen so either way you dont want it

and when you look at it and switch it on the LCD screen has thick lettering on the genuine and thin lettering on the fakes

the older ones didnt have the security tag , some fakes have tried to copy the security tag but its not a good copy

when you look at them under a viewer the security tag is blurred or flat colours where the real ones have bright colours.

Spriteah, I'd be very skeptical of such a deal. I mean why would anyone sell a gpx5000 for 2 grand? It isn't as though they're old news and people are dumping them for better technology. A genuine gpx5000 listed for 4 grand will be snapped up in a heart beat. There'd be no reason to sell for half that price unless the detector is faulty or a cheap rip off! The fakes are getting very hard to spot and with so many con artists getting in on this scam you want to be 100% certain before handing over cash. I'd go so far as to have a reputable minelab dealer test it out before handing over my money.

Did they supply a serial nunber? Pays to check number with Minelab, as some older numbers have been reused or duplicated on the knock offs. No number, no sale - might be already registered with another owner of a genuine gpx.

When i heard they were selling fakes i thought seriously but then again it is $6500 and im sure china could knock it off for less than 1/2oth the close so i did a bit of hunting and came up with this:
[Link removed - Nugget]

Keep in mind that this is a china based company and obviously a complete rip off of the real thing, i still wonder how well it compares to the real thing for opperation as i hear it all started when minelabs network was hacked into and all plans and designs were stolen. Im rather surprised they just didn't re-brand it with a tacky name and just sell it cheaper

still i wonder, how much could they asking for it

Iv wondered how good they would be for a fake. I thought they still might be better than some of the cheaper ones out there ??

Not that id promote buying fakes or stolen goods or download movies..... :/

Sylar, say the fake was $1000 and you had no information if it worked or not would you buy it?
If not - no further discussion.
If you would buy it - you would be mad, or rather quite stupid.

Personally don't think there needs to be discussion about "i wonder this..."
It's a chinese fake.
If you can't afford the real thing i hear the older PI minelabs are quite good.
Reeko :)

The rip-offs are nothing but trouble. They usually don't work properly AND there is no after sales service. Reeks is spot-on, buy a second-hand PI of any reputable brand that is verified as being genuine. Same as the Chinese 'Great Wall' ute - know why they have heated rear windows? So you can keep your hands warm while pushing them. The fake 5000s make great wall stud finders.

i can see your point SYLAR and i know your just asking a question. ;) It is quite alot of money to spend on metal detector...BUT... people who buy these rip off's support this type of industrial THEFT :mad: .... bloody wrong if you ask me ,they should be banned from even using the same name as the aussie version and any type of advertising outside their own country, iam certainly surprised that some large online retail outlets allow these types of thing to be advertised on their sites .....your choice mate but i'd be saving up that extra coin to get the real thing :D .....And thats one less sale these thieves would have under their belt..........Lets take into consideration the people that throw up their innovation and designs on this forum,then to see some overseas company rip them off by stealing their idea,as i have stated in other posts i have copyrights on some of my gear its to try and stop this type of thing happening,i am more than happy to share build plans with forum members,but i would not TOLERATE someone to TRY and rip it off and mass produce for sale...........I would ABSOLUTELY have no problem in throwing down.... 8)

Wouldn't you think that a good lawyer, could come up with "international industrial fraud" or "International copyright something" and then take up a class action world wide for al those affected by the attributes of the machine that don't work.........Or is it just too hard?

I thought the same thing Tassie Daz,dont know what would happen if the company that designs the 5000 was an american company........the best way to rid ourselves of this type of thing is to not purchase them......no sales :eek:...stop production :D..................easy ;)

G'day Folks,

The first and real Q: is,,, who or what country makes the legit GPX?

as we all know that even the most expensive products like I phone, TV, etc and so on to date,,. is made in china. BIG company just stick there brand names and WALLA its legit.
what makes a copy or fake any lesser than the legit and approve products, when they are all made by the same country(CHINA) which the fakes and legit came from :p

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE WE START POINTING FINGERS :p :rolleyes:

Gold689 said:
G'day Folks,

what makes a copy or fake any lesser than the legit and approve products, when they are all made by the same country(CHINA) which the fakes and legit came from :p

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE WE START POINTING FINGERS :p :rolleyes:

try using a fake, then try a real one

then you will know "what makes a copy or fake any lesser than a legit or approved product"

and you will also understand why we point fingers when it comes to minelab detectors
regards tm

Minelab said:
BUYER BEWARE:Genuine Minelab metal detectors are only made by Minelab in Australia and by Plexus Corp, USA in their Malaysian facility. Thats it, nowhere else
The difference here is these aren't rebranded products of the same or similar quality but vastly inferior made Chinese fakes designed to mimic the superior Minelab product for the one & only purpose of duping people out of their hard earned cash.
Rather than spend $1000-2000 or more on an inferior mock up of a GPX5000 just buy a cheap Chinese $100 VLF, stick a Minelab label on it & go gold hunting. You'll get similar results for less money.

Ok i just posted it cos i was surprised to find it while just browsing about and even worse it was listed touting the "Minelab" brand name with complete disregard of it being obviously fake, would i buy it? Hell no! unless its like $200-300 just to take it apart and see how bad it is put together :D I am also wondering why there hasn't been a lawsuit put out against the online vendors who continue to stock fakes like this? I do feel for the people who have payed up big only to find its a total knock off and worse its near useless, it dose pay to buy from a licensed stockist who can offer follow up support and warranty for the item, further more i think buying a GPX 5000 from places like ebay and gumtree is like a game of Russian roulette, you dont know if its fake until its too late!
I have a Panerai watch, $8k it cost me but then i see a "replica" of the same thing for $250, still tells the time but is far from the real thing, would i buy it? ......no

:D :D I'm no expert on GPX nor have one, ;)

Only a person who is unbiased to the subject and have not spent $7k or lost money because they bought fake GPX.

Any member who has experience using legit and fake GPX please come fort and enlighten us on the matter.

This exclude minelab products seller or friend of the seller,, that would be totally biased :D :D :lol:

Latest posts