Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldbuzzhashit

Domanic
Reaction score
Just got a call from another keen to get into detecting bloke, who has fallen victim to the eBay fakes, he (bob) just bought a minelab 5000 for $4765.54 was the winning bid anyway he got it yesterday avo, put the leads together and turned it on. Nothing, charged the battery and tried again, nothing, took it to one of his mates (computer genius) and they opened up the control box, well there was a steel weight in it and the dials mounted to the case.

The coil was a plastic copy minelab with no wire in it as well, but however there was a battery.

Bob has tried to contact the seller, with no reply so far.

Be carefully boys and girls. The worlds full of wankers. :eek:

This sort of thing really annoys me :mad:. I hope your friend used PayPal, at least that way he can retrieve the money. Keep us updated mate.

Not sure, prob did,

there should be a warning on eBay of this,

Also have found out the seller then change names and sell again, also a group of them bid on the item to build the price up and if the true buyer stops bidding they simply realist the item. :mad:

Yes bob did pay PayPal, has started a dispute!!!!!!! ;)

Nice, like the SMS and label verification code free of charge

That's very good news! I agree that it will definitely take a bit to clean up those knock-offs still in circulation. People are wising up to it all now though thank goodness.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Just a heads up & i'm sure most already know but there appears to be a lot of fakes popping up on eBay & Gumtree i.e. people who have been burnt then trying to resell them. I find if you ask for a serial number + proof of purchase from a certified Minelab dealer they usually disappear fairly quickly. Seen two this week alone & after I asked for the info they both got taken down. I am pretty sure at least one of these has been listed a few times but thankfully isn't being sold before they get found out.
I feel sorry for the people who have been duped but they are no better trying to offload it to someone else either.

There is no way that I'd touch any model GPX on an online auction, unless the serial number could be verified.
Even then, I'd worry until I'd tested then thing myself. And there's absolutely no-way I'd buy one online from o/s.
Fact is, there are no cheap genuine Minelabs anyway. They are in such high demand that all GPX models are in short supply.
So best to buy from a dealer who will guarantee the product, which unfortunately is terrible for owners who are trying to sell used genuine units.
There are also counterfeit coils on the market too, Minelab (Commander) and Coiltek have both published warnings.
Coiltek - http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/counterfeitcoil.html
Minelab - http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=20568

joe said:
Nice, like the SMS and label verification code free of charge

Link: http://www.minelab.com/aus/gold-mining/videos

Rusty said:
Even then, I'd worry until I'd tested then thing myself. And there's absolutely no-way I'd buy one online from o/s.

Agree & even if buying a GPX online etc. in Australia I would only do cash on pick up (unless you could verify it was a reputable dealer/person) & get one of the brochures to check it before handing over the $$$$.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaKjmAcepK0[/video]

Agree & even if buying a GPX online etc. in Australia I would only do cash on pick up (unless you could verify it was a reputable dealer/person) & get one of the brochures to check it before handing over the $$$$.

If you pay via paypal, then there is buyer protection.

I have purchased a few, well quite a few, transactions via paypal for items i purchase online and if any doubt in the product being genuine, you can flag it to paypal and it is investigated.

I had one product that kept triggering my safety switch when plugged in, a reputable seller and product, and was refused a refund/credit so I contacted paypal and got my money back and the faulty goods were returned.

Being hearing a lot of this copying thing. You'd think with the effort they put into making a fake it would be easier to build their product own from scratch.

Greg

I saw a GPX5000 detector sold on ebay last month , i suspected it was fake because the seller didnt reply to my messages asking for the serial number.

It sold for $ 4300 , i emailed the new buyer to ask him if he had checked its authenticity , the poor guy had no idea there were counterfeit minelabs out there .

He took it to his local minelab dealer shop and asked them to check it and lo and behold its a counterfeit

Can anyone suggest how this guy can get his money back ?

So far the seller is ducking and weaving.

I suggested to the buyer to ask for police assistance if the seller wont repay him

Do you guys agree that the seller committed a criminal offence ?

The seller obviously knew it was counterfeit , that makes it "obtaining financial benefit by deception" for a start . then the buyer has the option of court action with a civil claim to recover his money

any opinions ?

police have a special unit for targetting counterfeit goods

If his local general duties cops and fraud squad dont sound enthusiastic then he could ask where the counterfeit squad operates from and hound them for some support i think.

Yep payal is (so far as i know,have used it, got ripped off & refunded) your friend :)

Latest posts