Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The listing has now ended. Must've gotten stirred by the boys from Minelab, or concerned about a quick heap of unwanted attention from us undesirables.

lol

i have been corresponding with a guy selling fake GPX 5000's on ebay

i asked initially how many he had and he offered to supply 4 @ $ 4300 each

after i emailed them , minelab got his listing wiped off ebay but i couldnt get them to lay a police complaint and get the police fraud squad to go there and charge the guy . why not ?

says he only has one left now . his joke email below

Dear xxxxxx,

Hi only one left if you wont more 7 days from payment normally good sellers you have to make sure your customers no they are made for africa not aust so serial dont match and minelabe here dont recognize them because they get nothing from sale.If you need more for xmas we need to order quick.

- cooee00

Cheers HeadsUp!

Another one bites the dust. It's a shame when these guys seemingly get away with it. I guess having it removed is a good first strike.

"Made for Africa"?! Seriously? Haha! That's a new one. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Shauno

He is the same bloke that was on ebay last week. Would not give me or Mozzie the serial number either.

I feel sorry for all those guys currently bidding on x-terras from a chinese seller at the moment on ebay, no reserve bidding! Wouldn't touch anything new with a 40 foot barge pole from China. :rolleyes:

From what I've read on other forums, NZ have also recently been inundated with fake gpx machines by local resellers. GMT detectors are also being faked or brought in as grey imports, very hard to tell the difference, even via the serial numbers.

RULE No 1

If you are going spend a reasonable $ on anything, pay a little extra so you can look the seller in the eye,
and put the physical dollars in his hand, after checking your purchase.
And have a door to knock on should something go amiss.
This applies to everything you buy, not just detecting equipment.

Headsup- well done mate, pity about no charges for the turd though.
Why wouldn't Minelab make a complaint to the Coppers? I would have thought that would be exactly what they would go for- stop them once & stop them for good! This turd will just pop up somewhere else....... probably Gumtree or similar less controlled arena.

BumbleB said:
Headsup- well done mate, pity about no charges for the turd though.
Why wouldn't Minelab make a complaint to the Coppers? I would have thought that would be exactly what they would go for- stop them once & stop them for good! This turd will just pop up somewhere else....... probably Gumtree or similar less controlled arena.

yup . my thoughts too

I like the strategy of " hit em high , hit em low " - with the biggest hammer you have

and while they are on the ground bleeding drag their lying ass to jail

its only when people get jailed for this crap that the influx will stop

This fellow seems to be preying on developing countries. Its had enough for us Aussies to save and purchase a GPX5000. I hate to think of all those poor villages out there saving up to buy a detector like that, only to be sold a dud. The cost of a gpx would be a years wages or more for these people.

Roscoe said:
This fellow seems to be preying on developing countries. Its had enough for us Aussies to save and purchase a GPX5000. I hate to think of all those poor villages out there saving up to buy a detector like that, only to be sold a dud. The cost of a gpx would be a years wages or more for these people.

I was told a story by a mine lab dealer (unverified) that some Sudanese villagers pooled their money and bought a large quantity of fake GPX's , when they discovered they were fakes a team of persons were sent to china to find the dealers and chopped them into sushi.

The same guy also claimed that a Chinese factory sold fake minelab mine detectors to the Chinese army resulting shortly thereafter in the management of the factory being lined up and shot .

Wonder if its true ? God knows

HeadsUp said:
Roscoe said:

I was told a story by a mine lab dealer (unverified) that some Sudanese villagers pooled their money and bought a large quantity of fake GPX's , when they discovered they were fakes a team of persons were sent to china to find the dealers and chopped them into sushi.

The same guy also claimed that a Chinese factory sold fake minelab mine detectors to the Chinese army resulting shortly thereafter in the management of the factory being lined up and shot .

Wonder if its true ? God knows

Hope so!
Sort em' once, sort em' good!

Is the seller in Africa by chance or any third world country? Good luck pressing charges if so, he's probably a cop. Only thing that can be done is remove their listing and shutdown their account. The amount of scams I've come across on ebay not to mention the junk mail I receive is sickening. I think someone should create an app that auto responds to these emails/listings. Lead them on and waste their time!

Education is the most effective form of retaliation we have at our disposal. Aussies are being cheated out of millions of dollars each year by offshore fraudsters and I have yet to see an educational campaign aired to inform those unfortunate souls who are being taken advantage of.

Thanks for the post HeadsUp you certainly live up to your name

If not a copy then could be stolen - may be the one Kim from Nuggets Down Under lost earlier in the year :)

Rich

Yeah well I know all the stuff from that site is china made crap so buyers beware
Please let ppl know about this sort of thing as I can imagine places purchasing and ripping us
Hard working diggers off makes me think twice about buying second hand etc :(
DH.

That gumtree link, it comes with a lot more stuff then usually comes with the fake 5000's.
Like the extra coils, and, the external speakers, the camo covers, and the DVD's.

Maybe he suplimented the fake 5000 with the extra few things to make it look like the real deal.

But I am a bit cautious about his contact terms, of leaving your email at the end of your message so future emails can't be traced through the gumtree system.

Surprise Surprise, ithe listing has disappeared all of a sudden, Gumtree is a real minefield for the detectorist, they rely on gullible and nave people who do not know any better, then run a mile once they have your cash. :rolleyes:

Latest posts