Zed headphone recommendations sought

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my iPhone earphones plugged into an adapter straight into the SPo1, works a treat and very lightweight in summer, decided not to go Bluetooth as I've already lost two friends to the so called mobile phone radiation but that's a different story.

Hi all,my question is are headphones better than an external speaker ?

I have a 4500 and use an external speaker. Am I missing gold by not using headphones ?
Cheers Crushed

Always a headphone man. No doubt external speakers are more comfortable, but I just don't get in the zone like I do when wearing headphones. Good headphones block out a lot of noise and you can hear nuances in the audio that a speaker cannot.

Re ( As people's range of hearing can differ quite significantly (both level and frequency range), the results may be different from one person to the next.)
Agree

Re (I know this doesnt make it any easier but it really comes down to trying different sets and seeing what suits you.)

Agree, but I would like to see the results from someone who has done the comparison of say 4 sets of headphones at the same location/date/machine accepting that his/her hearing may be different to mine. The prob that I have is getting the 4 sets to do the test.

I recall a friend when he had an XXXX vehicle, this was better that all his friends vehicles, when he purchased an YYYY vehicle, he realised that XXXX was not as good as he previously thought. A friend has XXXX Headphones, they are great, but has he compared they with YYYY or ZZZZ sets same date/location/machine, he considers they are better than the K..., and has probably done the comparison.

Peter, sounds like we need to head up to Jupiter Creek and you can try a few sets on my test bed.
At the moment, here's the range of headphones I have laying around:

Recon-ST
Koss TD-80
Technics RP-DH1200
Technics RP-DJ1200
Yoga CD-300

And hopefully soon some SteelPhase cans, when Pat sends me some :cool:

Sound wise, the best headphones I have used for metal detectors without an Enhancer are the RP-DH1200's. BUT, they are heavy, the ear pads are not very thick, and they have a tendency to slip off your head. Mine have obviously got a bit of dust in them and have started to "creak". They also are not the best at blocking out wind noise. E.g. they probably fit the needs of a DJ, but are far from perfect to a guy walking around the bush with a metal detector, who is constantly bending over to dig holes.

The thing is when you put a steelphase enhancer in the mix, the 5% improvement on certain headphones is redundant, because the enhancer errr enhances the right range of frequencies that we want to hear, and gives you volume, so suddenly even crappy headphones can sound good. I also think high Ohm is less critical. I have used 16 Ohm earbuds which are average at best when plugged direct into a detector, and suddenly sound very loud and clear when connected to the SteelPhase. So features like comfort, robustness, length of cable, ability to repair if something goes wrong etc. become more important.

I'm using the Recon-ST's with my Zed together with the SteelPhase and am very happy with this combo. I have an old pair of Sunrays for back-up which I've bypassed most of the switches and upgraded the old worn out earpads.

The trouble with trying different headphones is the price. Unless you know a few people who use different types and are prepared to lend them to you for a few outings, youre up for $100-$200+ for a pair, which is a bit painfull if you dont like them.
I don't own a Z, but on the SDC and GPX, I have found the Phillips in ear buds the best for me out of a few cheapies.
I have the supplied headphones that come with the SDC and GPX (Koss?), and I also have the Sunray Gold... I wouldn't use anything other than buds now. I have been using the same scruffy buds for at last 2yrs. At $15-$20 a pair, it's a painless test if you don't like them.

Hi all,this is an interesting topic. I,m not stupid but I,m no tech head . I plug the headphone jack into the battery on my mine lab 4500 and hey presto sound.How does a set of wireless headphones "connect" to my 4500 ? Currently the Good Guys have a set of T450 Bluetooth on ear headphones for 48 bucks . Can I use these ? How do they recognise my detector ? Will they hear my mates machine ?
Cheers Crushed

Hi mbasko,thanks for that .Where would I buy the Bluetooth transmitter and how does it pair with my 4500 ? Also how do I know it will pair with my 4500 and the wireless headphones ?
(No faith in the younger brigade at the hi fi outlets they look at my grey hair and tune out !)
Cheers crushed

Hi Crushed, My understanding is that all Bluetooth Transmitters are not created equal, some have a delay in transmitting the signal to your Bluetooth Headphones. ie your coil goes over a target and say 1/2 a second later (or less)the signal is flashed to your headphones. So I suggest you purchase a recommended unit, or take pot luck with the likes of the unit below or similar. ( Which will need a special plug from Jaycar ie 3.5mm female to larger male plug)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetoo...711606?hash=item36421206b6:g:GBkAAOSwIKNcCkzt

Note Its a Stero Unit.

BlueTooth Pairing
http://www.plantronics.com/no/no/su...rlName=RN17509&t=All&k=Voyager%20Edge%20UC%20

Peter

Crushed said:
Hi mbasko,thanks for that .Where would I buy the Bluetooth transmitter and how does it pair with my 4500 ? Also how do I know it will pair with my 4500 and the wireless headphones ?
(No faith in the younger brigade at the hi fi outlets they look at my grey hair and tune out !)
Cheers crushed
Without recommending these specifically as I haven't used this particular one I would be looking at something like this:
https://www.swamp.net.au/bluetooth-...MI2v61ptut3wIV2g0rCh2SoAN1EAQYCSABEgKhVvD_BwE
I've use Swamp a number of times for different gear & it's always been good. Edit: you'll need a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor cable too.
Don't want to take this thread any further off track so here's a couple of previous threads:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28607
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27434
Nenad (Phasetechnical) also has Quest wireless systems in various configurations worth a look.
I'm assuming you have your battery for the GPX in a control box cover pouch or mounted on the control box somehow? Wireless audio is pretty redundant on the GPX otherwise.

Thanks Peter, I see no point mucking around on a half second delay . What is the recommended unit,I have no idea.If I,m going to use headphones I need to make sure I,m gaining an advantage over the external speakers.
Cheers crushed

Hi mbasko , just saw your post as I was replying to Peter. My battery is in the harness on the rear strap . Standard Minelab issue. I,ll check the previous threads you have highlighted before going any further. Again this forum is fantastic for providing and sharing of information.
Cheers crushed

If you plan on keeping the battery in the harness then you may as well continue to use wired headphones with the GPX.
The only real benefit of wireless is becoming completely untethered to the detector which means moving the battery on the GPX series & adding weight onto your arm.
Wired headphones will give you better sound, more options & less things to charge/maintain.
Edit: For the record I use Seinnheiser HD-280 Pro headphones which I find great all-around. Others may not - bit hard to recommend headphones without having a go with them.

No I haven't tried the 380's.
They look similar externally but have a lower ohm rating (54 vs 64 which would be negligible) + lower & higher frequency range (which isn't needed for detecting). Good studio headphones will be responsive through all frequency ranges (low, mids & highs) but detectors output in the mids so lower & higher frequencies aren't important + could be lost on most peoples hearing range.
The interesting difference is the technology that channels the audio signal directly into the users ears. I'd like to try them to compare that with the 280's.

Latest posts