Yeppoon rockhampton

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjilm

Phil hughes
Reaction score
I'm doing a holiday up to yeppoon, rockhampton in may to visit some friends,is there any where not too far from there to go swing a detector or do a bit of panning for gems????:)

Clermont is the best nuggetty goldfield closest to Yeppoon, I always liked Birimgan Fossiking area. CQ gemfields for sapphires. There is gold between the oaks and emu park however this is all on private property. Anywhere along the Tungamall (Spelling ?) fault will show gold in the creeks.
Canoona is north of Rocky this gold has a magnetic, black coating around it. Once again private property. Don't throw out black rocks that sound good if you head over the railway line from the monument.
My Morgan has gold in the creeks if you want to pan. Beware of the Dee river as it has high mercury and chemicals in it.
There is a pay to dig thunder egg Fossiking business just outside of Cabra heading towards Dingo/Blackwater you can dig your own and they cut them for you. I can't remember the name of the place but it is professionally run and has food and beverages availability. A must if visiting the area.
Make sure you have a QLD Fossiking permit and a Clermont Fossiking area permit as well if you head over that way.
Good luck.

Cheers :) I think Claremont might be a too far to drag the kids out there,they'll get board too quick,I know there is gold in rockhampton,would like to know the best places to have a beep on??

The Dee river at Mount Morgan isn't full of mercury and other chemicals. It has a low pH due to the sulfuric acid from the pyrites in the tailings. It also has low levels of arsenic. Do not swim in it as it can cause skin irritations. The water is used for irrigation down stream. It is one of the few water courses around the district that has water in it year round. Plenty of very fine (100 -200 mesh) gold. It's an easily accessible spot to take the kids for a pan. Check out Qld Globe to see where you are allowed to go.
Very few gems around this area. Some translucent red and black Obsidian from west of Westwood. The majority of land holders are okay with you going on their property IF YOU TALK TO THEM FIRST! Theft is their biggest worry along with spreading of noxious weeds.

Petrified wood and chalcedony on the gravel bars of the Fitzroy River at Riverslea crossing, turn off the Capricorn highway at Gogango, west of Westwood and cross the railway line. There is a sign up saying Riverslea. About 15km of decent condition dirt road then you reach a low causeway across the river. The gravel banks were still largely under water a couple of weeks ago but more should be exposed by now. I have a thread about the spot on this forum somewhere.

Best stuff is the petrified wood, there is some interesting looking coloured bits and some with agate through it. Good idea to keep back from the waters edge, there are crocodiles in the riverYou should fill a 2-gallon bucket in a few hours.

Latest posts