X terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all and thankyou in advance. I have been loaned a minelab x terra 705 to try my hand at metal detecting. Now I have been told that this machine isnt great for gold detecting. Im ok at the moment just pulling out bullet casings and nails etc whilst I am learning. My question would be if I was to update am I better spending the money on a new detector or for a next step get a gold coil for this machine. What is your opinion?

I would update the machine as it does struggle on the goldfields even with the gold coil. Keep it though as the 705 is a very good coin and relic machine for on the beaches, parks and old sites. We started with a Exterra 50 long ago but it was never intended to be our gold hunter and so when we had more time and money progressed to some quality gold machines for that side of our detecting life and have since added a 705 as a second coin machine. They are easy to use and have pretty good discrimination and target id capabilities. Our '50' died a couple of years ago but they are pretty robust and by then it had almost tripled its cost in finds without taking into account the interesting stuff. Good luck and have some fun with it.

Thanks for your input @markgoldhunter. Just out of interest where abouts are you situated and what sort of detector have you got for gold prospecting. I think you are right in regards to updating to a better detector. I am in Echuca Victoria so have access to lots of gold fields, so ultimately that would be my aim, after getting rid of all the nails, bullet casings, rust nuggets etc.

It's best to get a PI machine that is built for the job. i.e. finding gold. Usually somewhere between 2-$10,000 . Be careful of Chinese copies -always ring the manufacturer and check the serial no.
Nothing that works comes cheap.
Jaros.

At the moment I am in Cairns but do most of our detecting in Wedderburn / Dunolly one year then Leonora / Laverton the next, covid times excluded. Between Mrs GH and myself we have a 4500, 5000 and an sdc and of course the 705. My first gold machine was however a SD 2100v2 which I found my first nugget with and probably should have kept. In 2008 I bought a brand new 4500 and still use it to this day, if you read Aus Gem and Treasure check out my latest result. You will work out which story it is. Cheers Mark.

Jaros said:
It's best to get a PI machine that is built for the job. i.e. finding gold. Usually somewhere between 2-$10,000 . Be careful of Chinese copies -always ring the manufacturer and check the serial no.
Nothing that works comes cheap.
Jaros.
Thanks Jaros for your input. I wouldnt of even thought about Chinese copies. What sort do you use. I realise everyone has their favourites but being new to this whole caper it is interesting to hear peoples opinions.

markgoldhunter said:
At the moment I am in Cairns but do most of our detecting in Wedderburn / Dunolly one year then Leonora / Laverton the next, covid times excluded. Between Mrs GH and myself we have a 4500, 5000 and an sdc and of course the 705. My first gold machine was however a SD 2100v2 which I found my first nugget with and probably should have kept. In 2008 I bought a brand new 4500 and still use it to this day, if you read Aus Gem and Treasure check out my latest result. You will work out which story it is. Cheers Mark.
Thanks dude, sounds like you and your misses do quite a fair bit then. I have always wanted to give it all a go, I can see how people can so easily get addicted. Thanks again and happy hunting.

Latest posts