wombat state Forest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi there im heading upto wombat state forest for the long weekend is there any good spots to go and have a swing still new to it so any help is good help thanks

Just type in Wombat State Forest or Daylesford in the search and all will be shown.
cheers db

You could try butchers reef or Long gully but be warned there is a lot of junk. I spoken to a few locals and there is definitely gold but it's tough going. I've been going out every weekend for three months but found nothing yet but is a huge area but will keep trying

PICKO said:
You could try butchers reef or Long gully but be warned there is a lot of junk. I spoken to a few locals and there is definitely gold but it's tough going. I've been going out every weekend for three months but found nothing yet but is a huge area but will keep trying

Yeah been out there a fair few times with no luck myself but it is fun

Mountain Goat territory. Too steep for old blokes. There is some mining activity back towards Gisborne near Obrien's crossing that I have been meaning to investigate. This could be worth a look see. Hope you did ok.
GT

Blue gully is not to bad its just past Barrys Reef . I know they found a 250oz nugget in the late 1800s its shallow and deep ground.
Shallow on the northern end, lot of shallow diggings but further south and in the middle of the gully it gets deep and a lot of deep shafts, you have to watch your step because there is a lot of overgrowth its hard to see them. I've came close a couple of times. Its a lot easier to detect on the northern end.

Hi guys I went out there over the long weekend with my x terra 705 gold pack and no luck lots of junk out there and found it hard going with the red soil and hot rocks. I have just got my detector and am still learning it all out but the VLF does hate hot rocks and the soil in some spots. If anyone has one of these detectors please let me know how to best set this x terra 705 up when in really hot ground. Thanks
:D

I think you might find that O'brien's crossing and the mines around there are in a no go area for prospecting I would check first before detecting in Lerderderg State Park.
There are a lot of spots out side of the park to detect closer to Blackwood. Check out them instead.
db

Golden river said:
Hi guys I went out there over the long weekend with my x terra 705 gold pack and no luck lots of junk out there and found it hard going with the red soil and hot rocks. I have just got my detector and am still learning it all out but the VLF does hate hot rocks and the soil in some spots. If anyone has one of these detectors please let me know how to best set this x terra 705 up when in really hot ground. Thanks
:D
Vlf's struggle in the mineralised soil, thats why pretty much everyone goes for a PI detector. They can handle the soil much better. Were you using a DD coil? I think thats wht comes with the gold pack isn't?

Yeah I have the 18.75 kh dd coil it's very sensitive it was picking up my 0.2 nugget in the Forrest no worries. I think I need to learn to offset the ground balance

Gday all.

Iv been swinging in the lerderderg, wombat and kooweingibura areas for years.
Areas between black wood, greendale and around kooweingibura are rich in gold.
There are rivers listed on an old brown mining tent map I have the have names still relevant, like "nugget creek" "nugget river" "golden valley".
However they all require significant walks to get to.
Apart from plenty of gold you'll find rusty pans, pickaxe, sluice pumps, donkey shoes.

Walking through these old tent mining areas you'll find remnants of stone huts or old fire tripods.

Plenty out there. You just have to hump it into the hidey holes.

Cheers :pickshovel:

Nixy86,

Sounds like you have some deep knowledge of the Blackwood area. For a long time I've been thinking of putting together a 'surface' map of the geology of the area and it's mining history (with work and fam it's hard to find enough time to get out there and do the research). Would love to catch up with you and have a chat about your knowledge if you are willing to share. PM me if you are interested. I'm planning to go up there in the next couple of weeks during school holidays if you want to catch up.....

Thanks

Andrew (AK47)

Do you mean the old sites in Lerderderg State Park?

Cheers,
Megsy

Nixy86 said:
Gday all.

Iv been swinging in the lerderderg, wombat and kooweingibura areas for years.
Areas between black wood, greendale and around kooweingibura are rich in gold.
There are rivers listed on an old brown mining tent map I have the have names still relevant, like "nugget creek" "nugget river" "golden valley".
However they all require significant walks to get to.
Apart from plenty of gold you'll find rusty pans, pickaxe, sluice pumps, donkey shoes.

Walking through these old tent mining areas you'll find remnants of stone huts or old fire tripods.

Plenty out there. You just have to hump it into the hidey holes.

Cheers :pickshovel:

Latest posts