Wire mesh for seives

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave potsnplants a ring today after having trouble with their website. Sadly out of stock of 3/16" sieves and can't get anymore in as the Australian manufacturer stopped making them. They couldn't compete with imported products. This is the same story I got from the miners den about three months back. I did give the miners den Sydney a ring anyway as they still had them listed on their site but no luck. The salesman there did say there may be a servo/retailer somewhere in the New England area importing the 3/16" sieves as that size is widely used as a "sapphire sieve" in that district. An interesting little tidbit that goes someway to strengthen my theory.

What size opening and wire diameter are you using on the aluminum wire mesh? Something along the lines of the 20x20 woven wire cloth seen here? Belleville Wire Cloth's Website - Cedar Grove NJ

Or are you using something with a larger opening than that? By the photos, it looks like a pretty coarse mesh, but I am not exactly sure how to judge and measure just from the photo. thanks.

-SmWa

I have just spoken with Steve Hill (Kimseed) in W.A.

He is sending me an email about their modular range of sieves which includes a 4.7mm round hole (?) will keep you posted, have also emailed Westernex for a price & avail. on their 4mm & 5mm s/steel sieves. Will post when available.
:)

Just got the Quote back from Westernex, I think I'll give it a miss, these must be some serious sieves.

1x S/Steel sieve 300mmD x 75mmH with 4.75mm mesh $409.20inc. Gst. :|

with prices like that I will drill holes in a piece of sheet metal and make my own in any hole size I care for.. :)

That's right, so for a really good fit out from Westernex, say 3 sieve's the exact size you want $1227.60, you'd want to find some darn good sapphires in your sieve. ;)

Still waiting the pricing from Kimseed, i'll be sitting down this time!!

excalibur63 said:
Just got the Quote back from Westernex, I think I'll give it a miss, these must be some serious sieves.

Franky, they may be great quality but I'd bet they are made in Au$$$tralia, guarantee the same quality could be made in many other countries and landed here at 1/4 the price.

I know, I used to manufacture acrylic shop fittings in Sydney for an Australia wide custom base, ended up they could either buy 1 of something from me or get 6 for the same price from an overseas importer. I'm not complaining, we're pretty well off in Aus.

Yep.. Impossible to manufacture anything in aus and compete.. I have gone from being a manufacturer to a repairer of cheap imported stuff that falls apart...And that work is growing rapidly.. :)
LD. said:
excalibur63 said:

Franky, they may be great quality but I'd bet they are made in Au$$$tralia, guarantee the same quality could be made in many other countries and landed here at 1/4 the price.

I know, I used to manufacture acrylic shop fittings in Sydney for an Australia wide custom base, ended up they could either buy 1 of something from me or get 6 for the same price from an overseas importer. I'm not complaining, we're pretty well off in Aus.

Yep sounds about right. Well outside my price range. I have settled on exactly what I want, a 13" aluminium sided sieve with 3/16 sainless mesh. Reasonably widly available up until 6 months ago when they stoped making them in Australia. Now it's all imported stuff and they don't make that size. It goes 1/2", 1/4", 1/8", 1/12", 1/20" etc. All I can hope for is some very old stock sitting on a shelf somewhere or a second hand one, if I can find it. To try and get just the mesh in the right size thus far has proven to expensive.

Mate if u have a bunnings in tas go to the storage section. They have baskets around that size but maybe alittle smaller. They sell it as draws for cupboards in wardrobes they aren't squares but diamond patterns. I used 1 to make a bucket sieve and works great

Danielkrupski said:
Mate if u have a bunnings in tas go to the storage section. They have baskets around that size but maybe alittle smaller. They sell it as draws for cupboards in wardrobes they aren't squares but diamond patterns. I used 1 to make a bucket sieve and works great

I bought the same, about 40x50cm or thereabouts. I cut a round disc out of it & liquid nailed it into one of the green bunnings soil sieves & it does work pretty well but you can't centre heavies at all. Probably could centre heavies if you played around with a few mods.

The reason I did it was I wasn't sure I was going to stick at gem prospecting & it was a cheap way to get started.

My 3 sieves were bunnings soil sieves as follows
Top: straight sieve no mods
Middle: wire mesh inserted into sieve as described above
Bottom: ali fly wire inserted

If for nothing else they are great classifiers before finishing off using metal sieves. I still use then now.

hey guys ive just been using the one seive, with about 3mm squares. will it help if i sieve my material down to even finer material? cheers..

also the post on page 2 of my sive the silcone has come loose haha hard to think it did since i put that much on, but plan is to heat up the bucket and just sink the wire into the plastic. then trim hopfully that works

liam1994 said:
hey guys ive just been using the one seive, with about 3mm squares. will it help if i sieve my material down to even finer material? cheers..

also the post on page 2 of my sive the silcone has come loose haha hard to think it did since i put that much on, but plan is to heat up the bucket and just sink the wire into the plastic. then trim hopfully that works

Liquid nails has done a great job for me, not too neat but it hardens rock hard over a few days & sticks like you know what to a blanket(let it sit for 3-4 days). When I make a bucket sieve I will use the heat sink the wire method as well as some liquid nails for extra strength.

Cheers!

Just a thought Dozzer, could you get one of those 1/12" sieve's and remove every other piece of wire? That would get you darn close to 3/16".

Yep had that thought a while back but its every second strand that creates the weave. If you removed every second wire you would be left with loose wires that just moved all over the place.

Hi guys, I have been having trouble finding the elusive 3/16'' sieve myself ,
and there seems to be several others with the same issue .

After many ,many fruitless or overpriced options were explored I found this,
3.35mm aperture , 450mm diameter woven wire ,stainless steel sieve with 75mm sides

Sounds like the bees knees .

I have ordered one and its on its way via courier at the moment, I will post some
pictures when it arrives and check the aperture .

The price was $89 plus fright and gst from CMT Equipment they have all sorts of sieves
and seem a bit better priced than most places that stock test sieves .

Latest posts