Wire mesh for seives

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry john, it's actually 3.5mm aperture that i am chasing. No5 mesh on the list is what I'm looking for, I sent an email to that particular company about three weeks ago to see if they would sell in smaller lots than 2m. Still waiting for a reply. But on the upside Dancor have got what in need. Rang them this afternoon, two off cuts 350mm square with 3.5mm aperture $115 postage included.............but I'm going to pay that out of desperation. :/

2 other sources that stock this very fine wire mesh and wire cloth size can be found at the following addresses;

Mcmaster

Belleville Wire Cloth

Be sure to check the pricing as this can vary wildly between all of these manufacturers of screen materials.

Hey Dozzer, how did you go getting the mesh? The aluminium sieve set Allgoods (Launceston) sell no good to you? ($60 for the set).

Howdy Ex,
Haven't seen them but they will probably be the standard 1/8 & 1/4 sieves. What I'm chasing is a mesh size half way between the two. Eg 3.5mm apature.

Dozzer, since you are after such a specific size have you thought of getting a piece of stainles sheet metal or something like an old sink etc. Buy a 3.5mm drill bit, spray adhesive and a sheet of 5 mm graph paper. Glue the graph paper to the underside of the metal then drill on the crosses. It should give you a nice screen

Or you could get a metal bucket and do the sane graph paper trick

Cheers, Tone

Dozzer said:
Howdy Ex,
Haven't seen them but they will probably be the standard 1/8 & 1/4 sieves. What I'm chasing is a mesh size half way between the two. Eg 3.5mm apature.

Just use the same stuff but overlap them.

Hmm.. I see where your going Dozzer,I guess like me your up N.E. Tas chasing the 2c+ blueboys. I use both the 6.3 & 3.1mm (left imperial years ago back in the UK), but with use, my 6.3 nowadays measures more like 5mm and the 3.1 like 2.5. The mesh tends to settle (and expand) with extended use thus making the apertures smaller (these sieves have been prospecting [gold] a number of years).

I find settling a pan with aggregate any larger than 3mm tends not to want to preform satisfactory liquidfication adequately enough to concentrate the 4>SG elements.

However, I always get satisfaction by being proven wrong. Love learning curves

Sorting IS time consuming but speeding the process may lead to that 5c+ just getting tossed back in for the next hopeful to do the same.

Best Regards
Gordon :)

I have just made my first classifier with some mesh from bunnings, it was 20$ for 10 metres I only needed 500mm haha but this is the first result I tryed doing the normal bucket trick but the bucket broke when I tried to cut it so had to think and this is the only way I thought off not sure how its going to work yet but soon find out

1398381002_image.jpg

1398381002_image.jpg

Looking good Liam, looks like enough silicone to hold it in place. If it does come loose, try placing the wire over the bottom with overhang, then grab a soldering iron and melt the wire into the plastic bucket, then use some of the bucket off cuts as "solder" to strengthen the welding. Then trim the wire.

Yep Ex I hear you a 3.5 would take a little more care to centralise but there would be only half as much material to sort. I run a three sieve stak, 1/2",1/4" and 1/8". The 1/2" means I don't get a lot of stone in the 1/4" but it is all of a similar size and can be centred quite well with a longer, slower drop, rise, drop if I just sit the 1/8 on the creek bed directly underneath.

I hope so Dozzer, your idea is well thought out so it would be nice to give it a go! :)

Just stumbled upon these beauty's, not listing a price, however they look like the Ducks Guts.

Still can't post link , type in All the w's kimseed dot com dot au :)

Latest posts