Wire mesh for seives

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozzer

Simon-Peter Hedditch
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm chasing some stainless mesh for a bottom seive. I currently have the standard arrangement of 1/2", 1/4", 1/8" sieves but I find that the bottom sieve is too fine with an aperture of 2.2mm. What I need is stainless mesh with an aperture of about 3.5mm measured across the square. Sadly I live in an out of the way place in an out of the way state (Tassie) and getting a small amount of mesh is next to impossible. I've tried contacting some of the mesh suppliers on the north island with no luck. The only sieve that I have found that may do the job is a 3/16" but the supplier is out of stock and isn't getting anymore in. So if anybody knows where I can order some mesh or has some I can buy off them I would be more than happy to pay for the mesh and postage or if anybody has a 13" aluminum seive with 3/16" mesh they are willing to sell let me know.

BTW. Just a point of interest, 1/8" is 8 strands of wire per inch not 1/8th of an inch gap in the mesh, so subtracting the width of the 8 wires, about 0.9mm each gives you about 18mm split 8 ways. Hence 2.2mm aperture.

Regards
Dozzer

hey mate I was in sams warehouse this morning and they had oil spatter screens that were perfect, do you ahve a hospitality supplier around you?

they look like this, the one i was looking at was $3 32cm diameter if you cant find i'd be happy to pick one up for you and ship it down. i'm headin over to a mesh supplier in the arvo as well i'll see if theres any small cuts
A415188.jpg

Ether would be good as long as the aperture is close to 3.5mm.

Thanks Dustin

Yep we do have bunnings but I dout they have stainless woven mesh of exactly the right apeture on the shelf. I'll give them a call though. :eek:

Hi dozzer, I see mash like this in $2 shop or asian supermarkets. It is usually a sieve or some other cooking utensil.

Haha yep you may be right Dustin. Thanks for having a look for me though. It all sounds a bit OCD I know but there is method to my madness, most of the creeks I work for sapphire are made up of granite sands. The particle size is mostly around 2-3mm and easily drops through the top two sives but fills the bottom sieve to the top. It takes a lot of effort and time to sort the sieve. A larger mesh size would sort faster and only retain the sapphires of a usefull size.

Have the same problem at a spot I go in Glen Innes, that granite is consistently a fraction too big.

I was going to suggest that if you have a 'dirt doctor' or soil testing service nearby (possibly council/main roads/concrete supplier/quarry), they may have some old testing seives that don't pass NATA testing compliance and may be able to throw one your way. Otherwise, they may be able to put you onto a local supplier.

Then i looked where scamander is and realised that this advice is possibly impractical, living in paradise has its pitfalls.

Drove through there just over a year ago, great backyard you have to play in !!!

Yep Wally it has it's good points and some bad ones.....allegedly. I did find a mob in WA that sold certified testing sieves. Bought a 3mm aperture sieve for $77 got it out of the box when it arrived and found the mesh was only spot welded in the bottom in 8 places and 3 of those welds were already broken. Not happy Jan. Not happy at all.

G day Dozer

I use these guys, haven't had need in the last two years, but before that they were good, for anything from 1 m off to shaker screens.

Dancore Pty Ltd
U 18 282 - 284 Chesterville rd.
Moorabbin Vic 3189
Tel: 03-9555 1044
Fax:03-9555 2877
Mobile: 0425 776 765
[email protected]

Hope it helps

Thanks for the effort your putting in to help me out here Dustin I do appreciate it. But sadly I've looked at these sieves in the past and was pretty sure the seller had his facts wrong, but I sent him a message anyway.

eBay sent this
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Seller has responded to your question about this item

Dear simon

Gap for the 1/8 is 2.5mm

1/4 6.3mm
1/12 1.6 mm

Thanks
Steve

- 85mako
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

To: 85mako
Subject: Details about item: simon-peter71 sent a message about 1/8 Inch Mesh Classifier sieve for Gold Prospecting, Mining, Panning #121252277330
Sent Date: 30-Jan-14 12:33:52 AEDST

Dear 85mako,

What is the exact gap between the wires of the mesh? Aperture?

- simon

1/8 Inch Mesh Classifier sieve for Gold Prospecting, Mining, Panning
Item Id: 121252277330.

Only a suggestion. Try this go to secondhand or OP shops they will often have chip or deep fryer baskets they have stainless mesh of vary sizes. worked for me & cheap.

Latest posts