Who has or has had sciatica?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20xwater said:
Stay away from meds, they just make things worse.
Ibrufen ends with a burst duodenal ulcer, you will beg for a quick death...I did!

Couldnt agree anymore with that,that name rings a bell,pretty sure thats what i was given,constipation and then guaranteed hemroids. fun times :lol:

When I had it my chiropractor said there was nothing he could do for me. My so called Dr. put me on a bed with weights tied to my ankles for 2 days...spinal tracton. I ended up taking the weights off and left the hospital it was absolute torcher.
My bulging disc was fused to my spinal column.
Still have a numb spot in my upper inside right thigh and that was 1996 when I had the operation.

Lay on the floor on ya back, lift 1 leg up in the air and roll it to the opposite side slowly until it gets to the floor keeping your spine flat so your spine twists at it's lowest point.
This is what I do to relieve the pressure, when my spine clicks as I do it it's like heaven, and away i go again.

20xwater said:
Lay on the floor on ya back, lift 1 leg up in the air and roll it to the opposite side slowly until it gets to the floor keeping your spine flat so your spine twists at it's lowest point.
This is what I do to relieve the pressure, when my spine clicks as I do it it's like heaven, and away i go again.

Matter which leg? Pain side or good side?

No, roll left leg over the right and visa versa.

Strengthen all the muscles around your spine with normal sit ups and reverse sit ups. This will help stop the grinding of your discs and vertebra.

When a physio showed me what to do I went home and did it, i didn't think it would work but I noticed the difference so kept at it.
It got better but I also realised that it made my mind think better to as a result. So I added more excersises and built more muscles and that accelerated everything.

Google spine damage excersise images. I think it's best you talk to a physio so you know you are doing the right excersises for your condition. The one I have described is for my specific damage.
I don't want to be responsible for incorrect advice.

Gunter1 said:
Ive had it for years , from all the former yearsof Removalist work . Tried everything but best thing of all was a simple inversion table I bought , to hang upside down . Instant relief and flare ups gone in a day . Youd be amazed how much gravity shortens us . Just 5 mins of hanging at an angle , and you come out 3 Cm taller , than before you went on !

This is one of the the best solutions. Depending on what type you have. Mine was the kind that would respond well to this kind of treatment. I remember my physio talking about this whilst I was tied up with no escape on his back stretching "torture" machine. He would love going on about how the ancient Romans would hang themselves upside down to treat themselves for a bulging disc.
Somehow, I was worried he liked the Romans a bit too much. And I was all tied up with no escape. Thankfully, arms were free.
Leatherman in pocket - Check.
Front window clear for a quick get out - Check. :p
Chair to smash through window if needed _ Check.

In the end it turned out well. It still flares up about once a week. I have found being mobile the best solution for me. :Y:

Hi guys i have suffered with Sciatic pain for around 10-15 years compliments of being a motor mechanic for 50 odd years and leaning over bonnets etc, i really hurt my back in 2019 in the Pilbarra detecting near Paraburdoo when i rolled and ankle on a round creek rock and decided to head back south and made a trip back to perth in agony,, saw a doctor and he recomended either a fusion after having ct scans or steriod injections in spine, a lot of my mates have had fusions and scrapes and i decided against it as all of them have had some sort of problem afterwards, after two visits and two separate injections (L 3/4 & L5/6 ) i have had very little pain since, i also at the first instance of any twinges use a knee band that was recomended to me by my quack and find it is awesome with giving almost instant relief, my sympathy goes out to anyone who experiences this sort of pain as its really debillitating, the knee strap can be bought off of Amazon or Ebay this a paste of the name etc BeActive Knee Brace: Helps Relieve Lower Back Pain and Pain from Sciatica, One Size Fits All, it is worn just below the knee, hope this helps

Hi Guys, I know Sciatica is a bitch, I have suffered all my life with all forms of back pain from 3 fractures etc and tried all sorts of pills etc, most strong pills will make you constipated which acerbates the frikking pain.
A suggestion I would like to pass on is the spray and the roll on lotion I have been having success with and that is "Zen" this is available from most chemists and it is magic for me, not only for my back but my knees and ankles which ache all the time if I do a lot of walking.
This stuff beats your deep heats, voltarens etc hands down
A word of WARNING though, if you are using "ZEN" DO NOT go to the toilet straight after with this on your hands!! believe me you will not do it twice.
If applying ZEN use disposable gloves, my partner has found that if she sprays the glove and wipes in on the sore area she can control it much better,
Most chemists stock it and will set you back about $24.
1609744324_img_7692.jpg

Well the good news for me is that the constant pain is now gone.
I still feel a little pain around my lower back, and today I felt a little whilst driving, pushing the clutch in gave me a bit of grief in my groin , but no where as intense as it has been.
The opiates I was prescribed were useless. I stopped taking them after day two, and went back to voltaren, which did help a bit.
Physio made me do girl push ups, and swimming free style,and I really think these two simple things have done wonders for me anyway.
I definitely will not ignore any warnings from now on, and I use a vision or rolled towel in my lower back when sitting for any length of time. Im convinced that long periods of bad posture in an office chair are the cause.
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions, appreciate it, and I also now understand how bad back pain can be.
I had about 5 days of 24 hour agony, and was getting very concerned! The worst pain I could describe was like a corked thigh, a really severe cork, and incredible pain below the knee cap, the back pain paled into insignificance compared to that!
Cheers.

Swimming is a good one for a crook back Davent, it's the only form of aerobic exercise I do nowadays, outside of digging a big hole in the field :lol:

Not so good for Inguinal hernias though 8.( Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. :|

13 pages back!
It happened again this morning, this time it was different. Was sitting on the funny of things, twisted a little to wipe (scruncher btw) and felt a definite click in the lower back and sharp pain. Now Im walking funny again, pain there, but I know whats coming and its not good. Sciatica is here yet just the lower back pain.
New diet of voltaren and exercise again....

davent said:
13 pages back!
It happened again this morning, this time it was different. Was sitting on the funny of things, twisted a little to wipe (scruncher btw) and felt a definite click in the lower back and sharp pain. Now Im walking funny again, pain there, but I know whats coming and its not good. Sciatica is here yet just the lower back pain.
New diet of voltaren and exercise again....

Bugga. :argh:

Mackka said:
Hey Dr. Dave, have you thought of going to the quack? Just a suggestion.
Mackka

Yep, last time I went, had x rays, MRI.
Diagnosed with a herniated disc. One day I woke up, and was all good after lots of discomfort.
Everything was good today, it just happend out of the blue....on the loo!
So since this is the 4th time in about 6 years, I guess its the same again. Same physio exercises, same voltaren and same swimming and waiting.

G'day

After a workplace injury some 20 years ago I have been left with a permanent back issue, and have learnt just to deal with it the best I can, I have had so many mri's and xrays I glow in the dark, and have seen so many people from physio's to chiropractors who for the most part just seemed to agitate the issue with treatments, in the end I went to see a professor of orthopedic surgery and after more extensive testing and a test where they inject you with radioactive dye and xray you which made me crook and gave me flu like symptoms after telling me there where no side effects, I went back to him for the results and all he said was that he would not operate on me as he did not think he could fix it but could possibly make it worse, then he went on to tell me that I should go swimming and learn to live with it. :lol:

I have found all these so called experts are for the most part just feeding off you and not one single person I have seen has offered me a real solution and they just send you here and there for further tests and to be tampered with by others who don't have any answers either, one smart ass young doctor just tole me "well you are middle aged so what do you expect", that was about 7 years ago now.

What I have found is management of the issue is the key, I have been unable to return to full time work because of flare ups and sleep issues as I never sleep through the night anymore, its 1.29am now and went to sleep at about 7.30, I will stay up for a few hours and then go back to sleep for a couple of more hours, this is usually due to pain in my back and legs, that wakes me up all the time and makes getting a good nights sleep very hard, often have to take nanna naps in the day as well.

Medication is one of the things that I found difficult as I am not a pill or potion person at all, some of the medication just made me feel worse and caused me stomach issues and feeling worse for it, I rarely take anything now except on occasion I will take dispirin direct and also anti inflammatory called celebrex (someone else mentioned this drug earlier) which agrees with me and as far as I can tell has no adverse side effects :playful:, for the most part I felt better when I didn't take all the junk that they were feeding me.

As far as on the spot treatment goes, heat bags that you can warm in the microwave are the go, in the bush you could use a hot water bottle, a really handy thing to have on hand is a masseuse lucky for me my lady friend is a remedial therapist, so I get some treatments when I am home, the happy ending joke is still not funny either by the way, and she uses a product called "rock sauce" and when properly rubbed in to the area it actually works well for me, it available in most chemists off the shelf, but whatever you do don't forget you have it on or get it on your hands as if you scratch your nuts or rub your eyes you will not do it a second time, also do not use it when your skin is warm and sweaty as it will burn like hell, gave some to a mate out bush and forgot to tell him that it gets a bit hot on sweaty skin and he put it on and then complained how hot it was.

As the so called experts say just learn to live with it and avoid doing things that you know will agitate the issue, good luck, a mate asked me about it and I told him that I have pain all the time it just varies from day to day and often moves from one spot to another, I told him that if in the morning some part of me did not hurt then I would think that I was dead.

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts