Who has or has had sciatica?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Day 4 of the most persistent, uncomfortable, debilitating pain,
Panadine forte does SFA, voltaren worked ok on day 1 but not so good since.....anyone know wether physio or massage or witch doctor potion that helps?

Make sure you eat and drink when using Voltaren, it will do nasty stuff.

Get a heat pack onto it short-term , then a good sorts remedial masseuse, that does hot rocks and acupuncture would be my path to recovery,
I had years of piercing pain and now recognise the signs it's coming on and go through the above process before it grabs these days.

As for creams I use a silica Black currant based gel , it's actually for worn arthritic joints but I find it relaxes the muscles and lubricates the joints and works well.

Cut back on the grog too.

Had it in 1996. 9 months in bed pretty much.
Had a back operation in late September that year. They have me 10 years before a relapse.
Here it is 2020 and still ok....touch wood...
Panadine Fort, Valium and all those did bugger all for me.
Hated to even think about getting up from my lounge chair because my back went into spasms.
Doing lots od exercise after the op was the best thing I ever did.

When you get over the immediate trauma, has the Dr suggested stretching? Sit on the ground and over time try reaching your toes. Don't over do it - just gently. It could take months.

I fell your pain had Sciatica last year could not sleep for days very long nights and days never ending pain. Went to doctors he put me on Endone that was bad after 5 days i was having night meres put me in a bad place went back to doctor told him endone was giving me night meres he said just keep taking them i didn't take any more. Went to a new doctor he said some people cant Handel Endone put me on big doses of panadol forte and anti-inflammatory tablets it help a lot and said go to a physio had 5 treatments best thing i did they showed me how to do stretch exercises to relive the pain i still do them if i fell any pain in my leg. Have a look on youtube lots of good videos about Sciatica treatment hope this helps you i never what it again thought it would never end but it did.

PeterInSa said:
Hi aussiefarmer is this the stuff:

https://www.healthsolutions.shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=324

Where do you get the stuff on Oz?

Thanks

Peter
Yep that's the stuff , I've had 3 brands all good , had some from China and England and the last lot my father got it in Australia but not sure where.

If you knees click walking uphill that stuff will stop that too. Excellent stuff but not easy to get as health authorities in Australia won't recognise it, it fully legal to get but chemists etc won't stock it.

Sciatica is usual caused by a pinched nerve in your lower back or sacroiliac, only way to get relief it is to get the inflammation down . You need to find anti inflammatory drug that works for you. My saviour was Celebrex , 15 years of back pain fixed with one or two tablets a year now .

Had it bad in the early 2000's. Bulging disc for about a year.
My whole left leg was numb from the thigh down. Went to a chiro who massaged it and made it worse.
Ended up at a physio who had some ncient, what looked like a torture machine in his practice.
I was sceptical but went ahead. He would wrap a thick sheet of Velcro around your hips and this thing would pull on your lower back. This was lying down on your back.
This would pull your discs apart and allow for the bulge to correct itself.
Started of with short sessions and low pressure and over 6 months elevated the time and pressure.
It fixed me up but he did say there would always be flareups which there are from time to time.
He sent me off with stretching exercises which I do if I get a flareup. Stretching helps a lot. I also find being mobile is better than not.
These days when it flares up people say go get a massage. I say #&^$ off.

Yes, it's one of the nastiest nagging pains you can get. Usually some exercises/stretches shown to me by a Chiropractor years ago helps relieve mine when it happens. Sometimes though that doesn't work, and a trip to the Chiro for a bone crunching session is needed. I also find Advil or Nurofen can give relief, but if I can I try to avoid taking them more than just a couple of times.

I had a GP in Melbourne years ago who was also a trained Acupuncturist. He would always do the acupuncture treatment (which consisted mostly of sticking the needles in my lower back, along with one or two in the side of my knee), with the proviso that if it didn't work I could go back for a second visit for free for a painkiller script. I never once had to go back for the script. It definitely worked and wasn't all in my mind, because the first time he offered to try acupuncture first I guffawed and was sceptical about the whole thing.

Prior to finding him, I had a Chiro who did the job nicely too. That was back in the days when an employer wouldn't accept a stat dec or a sick certificate from a Chiropractor. So, I used to got to a GP to get my Drs certificate, throw the prescription for pain killers in the bin, and then go to the Chiro to get it fixed :)

I can't take ibuprofen cause it messes with my guts. There is a local pharmacist that makes this ibuprofen cream. This stuff does wonders.
Craps all over anything I've used before and cheaper as well.

Don't know if they mail out if anyone's interested but you could always ask.
1607807909_resized_20201213_0708041.jpg

Booney said:
Sciatica is usual caused by a pinched nerve in your lower back or sacroiliac, only way to get relief it is to get the inflammation down . You need to find anti inflammatory drug that works for you. My saviour was Celebrex , 15 years of back pain fixed with one or two tablets a year now .
Agreed booney. 3 years worth of pain for me. Gentle stretching on the floor and celebrex have got me moving again. Good luck dave hope you find what works for you

Will try some stretching from you tube and see a physio or chirp tomorrow.
X-ray revealed I have mild scoliosis, been living with it my whole life apparently and never knew!

Latest posts