WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few good videos on you tube beach hunting might be worth a look and you might get a glimpse of the settings he uses , iv done a lot of reading regards the TDI and beach hunting but haven't had the chance yet'

PM 'Newbie' he uses his TDI pro on the beach and does alright.

Joe, I used my SPP on the beach for about 4hrs a day for a week or more just recently. The most important thing is don't swing that coil fast like you see fella's do with VLF detectors. If you do this with the TDI you will loose deep targets and i mean deep. I have pulled out 50 cent coins and left a hole in the sand like moon craters. The other thing is head phones with out head phones you will miss deep targets, just have that threshold just humming and check those faint whispers. These faint whispers become deep coins, jewelry and you will pick up a lot of micro jewelry such as ear rings etc.

Leave the ground balance off, pulse delay 10, Gain 5+, 12" whites coil, swing slow and low and dig every thing and you wont go wrong. :)

I forgot to say that with the ground balance off the detector will make a high tone sound coming down to the sand. don't worry about this it will auto tune to the sand and run quiet from then on unless you raise the coil off the ground again. :)

Thanks Zuke, I will take a look at them. Also thanks Roscoe for the detailed information. I am heading there in a week so I will let you know how I go. Beach Gold, Bush Gold, hey it's all gold that's what matters :cool:

The standard machine is very good for beach hunting. Dial the timing hi otherwise I find my self digging way to many bobby pins... (eh vain of my existence) Look for the shape with the sound most coins have a round halo and you can almost pin point them by moving around the signal and slowly working in till you get the beep. be miindfull your going to get coins lying on their side and that dont give a round signal so i dig most things just because I have had things I was sure were other things but turned out to be coins. And I have had things i could swear was a coin but turn out to be other things. Zuke has some good setting so you only dig $1 and $2 you'll find it on is TDI topic, but you miss rings other than if they are made of silver. Pin pointer helps. My best so far is $18 in 30mins digging only $1 and $2 along with about 15 horse shoes. Be prepared for tent pegs and a lot of them... bloody beach shelters. Don't bother too much with Melbourne bay beaches they are raked and offer very little to the treasure hunters. Go big with the coil as big as you have my 18inch is a killer that's what i get most coins with. But i do like my 14x9 it seems to work well to.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and prospecting.

I am looking to purchase a White's GMT Goldmaster. So far a google search (for new) has only brought up one place in Australia that sells them; GoldSearch Australia for $1,365. Is this a good price for a GMT and are there any other stores in Australia that may not be online advertising White's that I can call up and find out their prices?

Cheers, Simo

The GMT used to be $1000 new I'd look into buying a fisher GB2 at $1300' I had a GMT for a few years and did pretty good with it but the GB2 has coils that don't false and you can turn iron trash off completely.
If you shop around you may get a GMT on eBay for around $600 just search for "whites metal detector".

Good luck in your search there's heaps of gold machines available just pick a cheep one to start with as you may not like it, maybe something that does coins aswell they can be just as rewarding and guaranteed to find a few close to home.

Goldsearch Australia is the only official Whites dealer that I know of in Australia, so if buying new, they are who you should be dealing with. They also have some of their products advertised on ebay.

If you are ok with buying second hand, they can be picked up pretty cheaply from the US, or as mentioned they pop up from time to time on oz ebay & gumtree. :)

Wow, I made this tread last night at 10pm and have already received two posts and an email!!! Thanks for the responses, you guys are dedicated :D

So GoldSearch Australia is the way to go for new. Sounds like the price has gone up too.

As a rule of thumb I don't like buying second hand electronics due to the their short life span and throw away nature, and to not repair but simply purchase new again. However, since this is my first detector maybe I should get a used model just to make sure I enjoy the hobby. Also, I have read that Whites are hardy and long lasting metal detectors.

Zuke; I have read that the GB2 is good for sandy areas and not for high mineralised areas, is this true? Reading this is what made me put the GB2 in the maybe pile.

Cheers, simo.

simo said:
Wow, I made this tread last night at 10pm and have already received two posts and an email!!! Thanks for the responses, you guys are dedicated :D

So GoldSearch Australia is the way to go for new. Sounds like the price has gone up too.

As a rule of thumb I don't like buying second hand electronics due to the their short life span and throw away nature, and to not repair but simply purchase new again. However, since this is my first detector maybe I should get a used model just to make sure I enjoy the hobby. Also, I have read that Whites are hardy and long lasting metal detectors.

Zuke; I have read that the GB2 is good for sandy areas and not for high mineralised areas, is this true? Reading this is what made me put the GB2 in the maybe pile.

Cheers, simo.

The only throwaway from buying new is a few huundred dollars when reselling or even $300.

I have a Fisher CZ3D which is getting on with age. Still works well and wil give a few decent machines a run for its money.

Just remember these high frequency detectors will find tiny bits of metal which may drive you nuts if your new to detecting.

Good Luck with your purchase though.

Simo' no VLF I's good for high mineralisation some do better than others' if you think most of your detecting will be for gold save the extra and get a new SPP $1500 S/H $900 $1200 (there's on on the forum still with warranty) or an old MineLab SD for around the same, if your only dreaming and not sure what you what' get something cheep in the VLF that will give you ago at everything.
Aldi detector...
Bounty hunter...
Don't be concerned with a second hand whites as they never fail unless run over.

I am also new to the prospecting and gold detecting, I just bought the gmt, and went out on weekend to try my luck, I found it great fun , no gold obviously, but read a heap of info of settings on this site and had a great time nutting out the machine, found all sorts of rusty nails and bullets and metal plates, worked out how to use the iron grunt system on the gmt works great just have to learn the unit you got, I believe I will find got with it, and handled the mineralized groud where I was no worries said it was around 57 on the digital screen.

Thanks for chiming in Bonacini.

It's really encouraging hearing another newbie like myself giving this hobby a go and enjoying it.

Ok be careful of fake or copies , probably been covered a million times
Mine was a copy 8.( 8.( 8.( had to get it looked at at gold search cod gain pod turned and shorted out, only
To find out I bought a 700 dollar fake that they can't fix genuine circuit board does not
Work with screen on fake.
The guy I got it from May or may not have know I spoke to him but obviously swears he did not know

The fake whites dealer is detectorbiz SA AUSTRALIA

If you buy one get them to send the serial number or when you look at it type serial number into the whites
Website and it will tell you immediately if it's fake.

:)
http: //www.whiteselectronics.com/support/goodbarcode

So now I got a real one with 18months warranty grime goldsearch dunolly Queensland
For 945 second hand great guys in there call them up and ask anything

Bonacini said:
Ok be careful of fake or copies , probably been covered a million times
Mine was a copy 8.( 8.( 8.( had to get it looked at at gold search cod gain pod turned and shorted out, only
To find out I bought a 700 dollar fake that they can't fix genuine circuit board does not
Work with screen on fake.
The guy I got it from May or may not have know I spoke to him but obviously swears he did not know

The fake whites dealer is detectorbiz SA AUSTRALIA

If you buy one get them to send the serial number or when you look at it type serial number into the whites
Website and it will tell you immediately if it's fake.

:)
http: //www.whiteselectronics.com/support/goodbarcode

So now I got a real one with 18months warranty grime goldsearch dunolly Queensland
For 945 second hand great guys in there call them up and ask anything

Geez Mate I am Sorry to hear that, But at lease with Gold Search you have Good People By your Side, I always use whites because the Junk filled sites I work in they seem to be the Best and the Price is not over inflated, And the go as deep as a person would want to dig even more so on larger Items,

Good Luck and Have Fun. John

Bonacini said:
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Goldsearch dunolly QLD? Are you tripping? Or buy another fake....

hahaha shite sorry goldsearch dunolly victoria hahaha should proof read good guys here call them with any
worries

Have You been Smoking something Slightly Prohibited, As in Non Legal Substance, lololol

John

Latest posts