Whites detectors compared to others.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziii said:
Just get a good Minor Johns or Razorback coil to suit what you want & you will have a great little & light setup.

Yep, I am putting my list together and When I stop buying machines and other bits an pieces I will order them, I keep getting confused over their sizes because they are either half inch under or over the norm, lol

Yeah I noticed that, sizing is a bit different.
When I spoke to Brian he told me about the 7.5x11 Razorback folded mono, but on the website they don't have that size or coil. They have a 7x11 Minor Johns folded mono, a 7.5x12 Razorback Minor John Designs mono & a 7.5x12 Longreach Razorback but not the one Brian told me about, maybe its only available here so its not on the website.
When the tax money turns up I will have to ask Brian & find out which one it actually is as I thought it would be a white Longreach series Razorback which were meant to be designed for Australian conditions.
Either way though, if he says its a great coil & it works as well as he says then that's good enough for me, whatever strange size it may be,haha.

ozziii said:
When I spoke to Brian he told me about the 7.5x11 Razorback folded mono, but on the website they don't have that size or coil. They have a 7x11 Minor Johns folded mono, a 7.5x12 Razorback Minor John Designs mono & a 7.5x12 Longreach Razorback but not the one Brian told me about, maybe its only available here so its not on the website.
When the tax money turns up I will have to ask Brian & find out which one it actually is as I thought it would be a white Longreach series Razorback which were meant to be designed for Australian conditions.
Either way though, if he says its a great coil & it works as well as he says then that's good enough for me, whatever strange size it may be,haha.

Here ya go look at these, you can see why there is some confusion,

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/

john

Ok i'll weigh in on this,
About six months ago i was able to play with the spp just south of growlers hill near rushworth with a mate who had a gpx 4000 and an sdc 2300.
I found a target on the top of a 1800's mullok heap (would have had hundreds of detectors over it) that made the spp give a tiny chirp/whine noise, so i ran over the suspected target a few time's and decided there was something there, but only just. So called over my mate who was using his 4000 with a 14x9 coiltek and he could just hear it, he changed a few settings then he could hit it ok. So out comes the sdc for a try on the target, did it find it? yes it did it pretty easy Tbh not a screamer but you would'nt miss it.

So what was the target? It was a 0.06grm nugget at 1.5-2.0 inch's, So i was really impressed with the spp and the sdc for hitting that tiny target in a very noisy spot (the spp/tdi sl can run with no ground noise at all if it has the conductivity switch)
That target was only hear'd because i was using A 9x5 folded mono, and it like the 7x11 folded mono has a very sensitive front one third of the coil super hot spot.

So is it better than a new minelab... no its not but with a folded mono coil, fresh batteries and a very slow sweep speed it's a good little machine.

I tried a couple of bigger minelab style and bigger miner john coils but was'nt impresed with their sencitvity.

Dazza :)

dazza513 said:
Ok i'll weigh in on this,
About six months ago i was able to play with the spp just south of growlers hill near rushworth with a mate who had a gpx 4000 and an sdc 2300.
I found a target on the top of a 1800's mullok heap (would have had hundreds of detectors over it) that made the spp give a tiny chirp/whine noise, so i ran over the suspected target a few time's and decided there was something there, but only just. So called over my mate who was using his 4000 with a 14x9 coiltek and he could just hear it, he changed a few settings then he could hit it ok. So out comes the sdc for a try on the target, did it find it? yes it did it pretty easy Tbh not a screamer but you would'nt miss it.

So what was the target? It was a 0.06grm nugget at 1.5-2.0 inch's, So i was really impressed with the spp and the sdc for hitting that tiny target in a very noisy spot (the spp/tdi sl can run with no ground noise at all if it has the conductivity switch)
That target was only hear'd because i was using A 9x5 folded mono, and it like the 7x11 folded mono has a very sensitive front one third of the coil super hot spot.

So is it better than a new minelab... no its not but with a folded mono coil, fresh batteries and a very slow sweep speed it's a good little machine.

I tried a couple of bigger minelab style and bigger miner john coils but was'nt impresed with their sencitvity.

Well done Dazza Great report, So the SPP can Hold it's own, Not bad when you factor in the Cost of each machine and the fact it was the SPP that found it, 0.06g that's just 1 Grain,

Impressive stuff mate

john

mbasko said:
Razorback coils had pretty much said that anything over around 16" coil on the TDI isn't worthwhile worrying about due to not having the punch to get the depth - I assume this is why Razorback/Miner John only make up to a 14" round for them? Read post #11:
http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/i...1a0d1725d0ddb23d06&showtopic=9778&#entry54671
That is one reason I believe that the GPX series has an advantage albeit at a greater cost, (& even SD/GP series but they have limitations with mono coils) - it's their ability to run coils from 6" thru to 30" or larger (drag behind coils etc.).
I recently looked at getting a TDI but in the end got an old GP3500 which only cost me just over half the cost of the new TDI. Not saying that the GP3500 is better - just seemed to be a better fit for me with already using the SDC. I wanted something cheap that would run larger coils & it fit the bill. After many hours of research there was no good examples of the TDI running larger coils with any great deal of success. Mostly I could only find that it was excellent with smaller coils & mostly smaller gold. I already had a pretty handy machine for that so I looked elsewhere.
In my opinion through all brands & models of current PI detectors the GPX4500 is the most versatile & best value for money available. A month or so ago the TDI & ATX could both have had claims to that at their pricing but for mine the re-release of the 4500 has changed things considerably, even for the used machine buyers market. I wouldn't have got the 3500 if I had known that was coming but then for the amount of use it gets it's not an issue.

I don't think a person could go wrong with the 3500, My one was brilliant but I did dig a lot of junk, I love the knobs and switches set up of the 3500, In fact I wish they re released that model, the machine was easy to run right off the bat, and the Doug Stone video helped a bit too.

Well dazza if the spp was so great how come you sold yours?? This forum makes me laugh alot of people saying this n that bout a particular type of machine yet theyve never used one or they sold it only after a short period but then rave about how great it was?? 1st why would you sell something thats great n 2nd why do people talk bout products theyve never used to all those dont bother putting in uneducated posts as you dont sound good you just sound like the advertisment from the company in which if you look at it from that point every machine ever made is the best on the market the best depth n best price n what you need !!!
NO WHAT I NEED IS INPUT FROM OWNERS NOT WANNA BE SALES REPS N KNOW IT ALLS WHO JUST LOVE WATCHING THE LIKES ON THEIR POST!!!!! END OF RANT LOL :lol:

And that was why I sent that link to Steve Hs site so you could look at a 'real' review!!!

Ridge Runner said:
I don't think a person could go wrong with the 3500, My one was brilliant but I did dig a lot of junk, I love the knobs and switches set up of the 3500, In fact I wish they re released that model, the machine was easy to run right off the bat, and the Doug Stone video helped a bit too.

The 3500's fine for what I want. The 4500 would have been better :p
I'm pretty comfortable with the older Minelab set up & operation but have JP's DVD on the 3500 if I need some tips. They are fairly easy to use & I've owned/used earlier + later Minelabs.
If your going to have a full on tilt at goldfields detecting then digging junk is something you will get used to regardless of machine/s used. Lead being my most common junk find.

YIPPEKAIAY said:
Well dazza if the spp was so great how come you sold yours?? This forum makes me laugh alot of people saying this n that bout a particular type of machine yet theyve never used one or they sold it only after a short period but then rave about how great it was?? 1st why would you sell something thats great n 2nd why do people talk bout products theyve never used to all those dont bother putting in uneducated posts as you dont sound good you just sound like the advertisment from the company in which if you look at it from that point every machine ever made is the best on the market the best depth n best price n what you need !!!
NO WHAT I NEED IS INPUT FROM OWNERS NOT WANKERS THAT ARE WANNA BE SALES REPS N KNOW IT ALLS WHO JUST LOVE WATCHING THE LIKES ON THEIR POST!!!!! END OF RANT LOL :lol:

I have the TDI SL which is the next model up from the SPP, Inside it is the same as yours but has a couple of bits of software and 2 more controls, and I have a few more.

A lot of the people you are referring to have chopped and changed machines a fair bit, The reason they sell them is to try another machine or go in for a different type of detecting, I have owned the top end machines but they were no good for my purpose so I sold them and now I use what I consider to be the best for my application, that's why they sell them.

john

mbasko said:
Ridge Runner said:

The 3500's fine for what I want. The 4500 would have been better :p
I'm pretty comfortable with the older Minelab set up & operation but have JP's DVD on the 3500 if I need some tips. They are fairly easy to use & I've owned/used earlier + later Minelabs.
If your going to have a full on tilt at goldfields detecting then digging junk is something you will get used to regardless of machine/s used. Lead being my most common junk find.

Somewhere I still have the DVD that came with my 3500, Although it did punish me over here and I sold it to buy a machine that could deal with the Junk, My 3500 is the only machine I wish I had never and sold all the others couldn't go quick enough,

you wanna recycle that lead, I did and all the chunks of WWII 16 pounders was worth quiet a few Quid, they used a Copper/Bronze shell which fragmented I still got a couple of bits, it don't take much to find $200 worth.

john

If your looking for gold, be it once a week once a month or once a year...at the end of the day...your looking for gold. Why not give yourself the best chance of finding it, and go strait to the top.? Some say this model or that model suits my purpose...but you already stated your purpose...gold.?
Your cheaper buy looses a lot more value than your more expensive buys over time. And your chances are below par compared to the more expensive buys. Understandable for the folk who simply cannot afford the dearer makes and models....but for those of you who can afford them....have a little bit more of a think when choosing which make model to buy and add the above to your way of thinking.....you may save yourself a few $$ in the end. For those still unsure of which way to go...i just added some more for you to think about. :lol:

Just saying.

Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:

Here ya go look at these, you can see why there is some confusion,

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/

john

Yeah that's the website I was looking at, there isn't an Australian website for MJ & RB coils. Have to order via phone or email.

Hard Luck said:
Ive got the Miner John 5x9 coil on my SPP.
Maybe at Ballarat next weekend there can be some comparisons done against the SDC 2300 when small gold is found

*I promise I will dig up some junk* :D :D :D

That would be great.
Karl

Narrawa said:
If your looking for gold, be it once a week once a month or once a year...at the end of the day...your looking for gold. Why not give yourself the best chance of finding it, and go strait to the top.? Some say this model or that model suits my purpose...but you already stated your purpose...gold.?
Your cheaper buy looses a lot more value than your more expensive buys over time. And your chances are below par compared to the more expensive buys. Understandable for the folk who simply cannot afford the dearer makes and models....but for those of you who can afford them....have a little bit more of a think when choosing which make model to buy and add the above to your way of thinking.....you may save yourself a few $$ in the end. For those still unsure of which way to go...i just added some more for you to think about. :lol:

Just saying.

Yeah and that could end in the divorce courts and the Kids calling the postman Dad, lol

YIPPEKAIAY said:
NO WHAT I NEED IS INPUT FROM OWNERS NOT WANKERS THAT ARE WANNA BE SALES REPS N KNOW IT ALLS WHO JUST LOVE WATCHING THE LIKES ON THEIR POST!!!!! END OF RANT LOL :lol:

Yep fair comment, I sold the spp because i do a lot more coin detecting than nugget hunting and thought i might try a xp deus, macro racer or ctx 3030. I owned and sold a SD 2100 and 2200 when they were the current models and we all know they are great detectors, so just because i sold a detector does'nt mean there is anything wrong with that model. The spp is a pretty fool proof machine (almost a zip zip type detector). If my wife was to start nugget hunting with me again it would be a no brainer to get her a spp or tdi sl and a small folded coil as thats a hot little combo that is'nt to botherd by hot pockets (she hates them hot pockets lol).

I like the gp series minlabs for the money if you can put up with the ground noise and chatter, If you can they will reward you for your effort. I still believe that like fishing 10% of operators get 90% of the gold regardless of what gear they use. If your relying solely on the fact that your detector is the latest and greatest to find the gold for you then your probably not going to find alot.

Latest posts