Whites detectors compared to others.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that reason is why I opted for an SPP. Considering I only tend to get onto the goldfields during club outings and spend a majority of my time coin/relic detecting, I really can't justify over $3000 for a PI detector. Aside from that, my local club has a gpx4500 loan detector on offer, and the missus would probably have my hide if I spent any more than what I have so far :D

I'm not going to get too hung up on comparisons with other detectors or brands, I'm more interested in learning the detector I currently own before making any assumptions on how it performs.

If it weren't for Whites offering the SPP to the OZ market, I don't think I would have bothered to get back into gold detecting again, mainly due to the cost outlay for the current offerings, not to mention extras like coils and so on can really blow out the budget. So am pretty happy to be able to afford a lightweight gold PI that should be easier to live with than a VLF's on mineralised ground.

All for a bit of fun, gold will be a bonus if I happen to walk over some. ;)

Goldpick said:
For that reason is why I opted for an SPP. Considering I only tend to get onto the goldfields during club outings and spend a majority of my time coin/relic detecting, I really can't justify over $3000 for a PI detector. Aside from that, my local club has a gpx4500 loan detector on offer, and the missus would probably have my hide if I spent any more than what I have so far :D

I'm not going to get too hung up on comparisons with other detectors or brands, I'm more interested in learning the detector I currently own before making any assumptions on how it performs.

If it weren't for Whites offering the SPP to the OZ market, I don't think I would have bothered to get back into gold detecting again, mainly due to the cost outlay for the current offerings, not to mention extras like coils and so on cam really blow out the budget. So am pretty happy to be able to afford a lightweight gold PI that should be easier to live with than a VLF's on mineralised ground.

I have seen many things happen here over the past 6 months or so and a lot of it relates people getting out there and having a Go, machines like the SPP is like an Olive Branch in respect that it give people the chance to get involved in prospecting, The Machine it's self can cope with things where others suffer and it can play with the big boys and it is light enough for the wife and Kids, you can buy a couple of them and take the good lady along and So she can beat you to the gold as opposed to buy another machine and leave her sitting back in camp or at home practicing the torrent of abuse you will get upon your return, and it gives you something else to do as a family,

This machine opens up so many new doors, That's makes it one of the best investments in the detecting world, and it does not matter if a person owns other high cost machines the SPP should be part of anyone's kit because when other machines struggle having the SPP means you don't have to pack up and go home,

john

First of all I would be extremely wary of accepting advice about SPP from some who never owned one and never used it to search for gold in Australia.
Secondly, only reasonably fair comparison between two detectors can be only done by experienced person who own and use those detectors. To my knowledge
that only been done by Walnliz with GPX 5000 and TDI.PRO OZ. You can read his posts and make up your mind as how good the TDI is.

As far SPP goes, first machines on sale here had few problems. I got mine about a month after it was released here. The hiccup was minor one. Very croase adjustment on GB pot was much worse one. And some coils could not be ground balanced at all, the balancing point was outside of pots scale. Thanks to Reg, with few mods most all of the problems were fixed. After some testing here White's started producing pcb boards that did not had issues I have mentioned above. I do not know if new pcb's include all Reg's mods, because I have not have a chance to look on one yet.
Gold Search send letter to all the owners of early SPP machines advising them to send machine back for free pcb replacement. By the way, even after the mods, SPP will not Ground Balance with some DD coils.
The SPP is quite capable and interesting machine. It can be forced to discriminate and it is very resistant to EMI. But claiming that it is next best thing since sliced bread is bit of exaggeration.
Karl

Oh I forgot to add that one annoying thing on SPP is lack of volume control. May not be a problem if you using internal speaker or headphones with volume control, but with earphones I use it is too loud.
Karl

KarlS said:
First of all I would be extremely wary of accepting advice about SPP from some who never owned one and never used it to search for gold in Australia.
Secondly, only reasonably fair comparison between two detectors can be only done by experienced person who own and use those detectors. To my knowledge
that only been done by Walnliz with GPX 5000 and TDI.PRO OZ. You can read his posts and make up your mind as how good the TDI is.

As far SPP goes, first machines on sale here had few problems. I got mine about a month after it was released here. The hiccup was minor one. Very croase adjustment on GB pot was much worse one. And some coils could not be ground balanced at all, the balancing point was outside of pots scale. Thanks to Reg, with few mods most all of the problems were fixed. After some testing here White's started producing pcb boards that did not had issues I have mentioned above. I do not know if new pcb's include all Reg's mods, because I have not have a chance to look on one yet.
Gold Search send letter to all the owners of early SPP machines advising them to send machine back for free pcb replacement. By the way, even after the mods, SPP will not Ground Balance with some DD coils.
The SPP is quite capable and interesting machine. It can be forced to discriminate and it is very resistant to EMI. But claiming that it is next best thing since sliced bread is bit of exaggeration.
Karl

No one is denying they did have a problem, what you have to take in to account is Whites are sold in over 160 different countries and the only country where the have had an issue is Australia.

So based on those figures that gives the SPP a 99.375% Success Rate

100% divided by 160 = 0.625x159 =99.375%, So Australia's ground conditions accounts for that 0.625% which is a pretty good success rate by Any Standards baring in mind they Are Used Globally and even such figures for a local product would be very remarkable,
Whether I have used it in Australia does not come in to it, So whether someone takes my advice is not an issue,

And if The SPP does not Ground Balance using a DD then That is more down to Stupidity than the Detector, For A Simple Reason,

ALL TDI's are Optimized To Use Mono Coils, yes they might work to a degree using a DD, but the Clue is in Whites Accessory listings, they list a 12" DF mono coil, a 7.5" DF mono, A 12 Single field OZ Mono and the 7.5" Single Field OZ Mono,
In this Video you will here the Man who designed/requested the specs on the TDI SL /SPP and he Tells you About what Coils to use on the TDI Series,, Fast Forward to the 13 minute mark and see for your self,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVLRG58_Hys

So lets put that in simple Terms, how about going down the servo in your Land Cruiser and filling it up with unleaded in stead of Diesel or vice versa with your Commodore,
It never cease's to amaze me that When A multi Billion dollar company spends 2 or 3 years designing something That someone always pops up thinking that they know better, when the truth is if they did then that company would hunt them down and Offer them a huge wage incentive plan to work for them.

The SPP is a Very good machine and yes it had ONE Fault that only seemed to happen In Australia, of which Whites/GoldSearch has Offered to put right those Machines already sold and ALL new Machines have been up dated, and if a person does not choose to take them up on that offer then Whites/GS are not to blame.

I have Owned quiet a few of the machines mentioned here and As an Australian where I am it just Geography,

Karl,, Lastly if you don't like your SPP then sell it or give it to someone who would love to own it, But if you don't like it that's fair enough, But at leased let those who do like them enjoy them in peace,

john

mbasko said:
ozziii said:
The SPP with the right coil will still do a good job & will find small gold like the SDC
Did a Whites user or dealer tell you that? :lol:

No they didn't. I was told if I used the right coil on the SPP, like some of the MJ or RB coils, I could find gold as small as & sometimes smaller than what I could find using the NF 6x8 Sadie on the SPP. Now to me, the Sadie from everything I've been told & read, can find very small nuggets, so if I have the right coil on the SPP that could help find smaller nuggets than the Sadie then wouldn't that mean it could find small nuggets similar to the SDC. I don't know exactly how small the SDC can find but small nuggets are small nuggets & if the right coil on the SPP can find them then I don't see much difference compared to what the SDC can find. Maybe the SDC can find nuggets a little smaller again, I don't know but I'd be pretty happy with the small gold the SPP & RB coil could find.

Goldpick said:

Thats the right call mate, and a top mind set to have bro.......most dont realize that you just gotta walk over it to gain the prize.

Bitching about what detector is better, is for those who dont find much, and most times it will be because of bad technique or area, rather than bad detector.

Anyway, I usually prefer to stay out of these debates, but i just wanted to give credit to a good call mate!

Cheers

Meta

I did not say that I don't like SPP. But as I actually own and use SPP in Central West gold fields in NSW I think I'm in better position to let people interested in getting SPP know about the advantages and disadvantages of it. You are freely dispensing advice about machine you don't own and never used in Australia. How do you know that SPP is better then SDC or GPX? Did you test one machine against the other in Australia?
Karl

Metamorphic said:
Goldpick said:

Thats the right call mate, and a top mind set to have bro.......most dont realize that you just gotta walk over it to gain the prize.

Bitching about what detector is better, is for those who dont find much, and most times it will be because of bad technique or area, rather than bad detector.

Anyway, I usually prefer to stay out of these debates, but i just wanted to give credit to a good call mate!

Cheers

Meta

Goldpicks level of thinking is spot on and he has bought it for all the right reasons, My hats off to the Man,

Getting out there with those who matter is all that's important, sharing good times with good Company, it don't get any better than that,

john

KarlS said:
I did not say that I don't like SPP. But as I actually own and use SPP in Central West gold fields in NSW I think I'm in better position to let people interested in getting SPP know about the advantages and disadvantages of it. You are freely dispensing advice about machine you don't own and never used in Australia. How do you know that SPP is better then SDC or GPX? Did you test one machine against the other in Australia?
Karl

Karl, to evaluate any machine takes a couple of things.

1) we make a list of what is important to the would be owner
2) we then check the Budget and try to find the machines that fit the bill.
3) we point out the list of accessories that are made for it so the detector can grow along with the user,

Then we look in to the areas where the machine will be used, Is The Ground Hot?? are there Cell Towers near by?? are they going to use it within the city limits?? Is there any heavy Duty power lines near by??

Karl, even those who own the GPX's and the SDC could benefit from owning the SPP As Well for a simple reason, we have all been detecting when the EMI is driving us nut and we have had to turn down the power to try and get the machine to run smooth and some folks have just plain packed up and gone home, But if they had an SPP behind the seat then although it does not have the power of the 5k you can actually run it flat out in such areas whether it is caused by power line or the on coming weather, and for users of the SDC/GPXs the SPP should be seen as an extra tool in the kit instead an opposing Brand because it could mean the difference between going home early or finding some gold.

Without mentioning any brands we have to take into account that there are some that suffer from the above items, So with that by getting someone to buy a certain machine that suffers from the above knowing their intentions, would be just plain wrong.
Getting people out there amongst it more important that arguing over brand loyalty, XXXbrand could have made the SPP but the fact is they did not, and really they are silly because everyone Loves xxxxx brand and if they put out a PI in the sensible price bracket then people would be buying that instead of the SPP, But as with all things xxxxx they are losing sales to Whites because people all over the world are hurting money wise yet xxxxx cheapest PI is nearly $4000 and only last month minelab re release the 4500, but it is still nearly 3 x the price of the SPP and the SDC (is 3 x the cost of the SPP), and so not many people can afford 4k, where as Whites has released a whole range of Budget line Gold based machines with the SST the GMZ and the SPP, which many people who could not go out finding gold due to the costs can now do so and have found gold working with these lower cost machines,
You can't buy those sort of memories and if people can do it with those machines then more power to them.

All of my machines have the Ability to find Natural Gold, and ALL of them are Gold Based Machines,

john

Thanx ppls i was looking at a oz pro but the whites distributer at melbourne said id be better with the spp! It was the first time ive ever heard a sales rep try to sell me the cheaper product even though i wanted the dearer one hes input was i was new to the game never held a detector b4 ever n it takes heaps of coils im not a biased company person( garret whites mine lab) etc i just want good gear for what i need dont wanna start arguments or biased opinions just want something me n my family can use without obtaining a uni degree to work it !!
No point spending the rest of my life looking for shiny shit just to pay off the debt of the gear after all ITS A HOBBY NOT A DEBT ADVENTURE!
YIPPE KAI AY
REALLY APPRECIATE THE INPUT LOT OF GREAT KNOWLEDGE HERE N I TIP MY HAT !!!

Ridge Runner said:
KarlS said:
Karl

3) we point out the list of accessories that are made for it so the detector can grow along with the user,

Then we look in to the areas where the machine will be used, Is The Ground Hot?? are there Cell Towers near by?? are they going to use it within the city limits?? Is there any heavy Duty power lines near by??

Karl, even those who own the GPX's and the SDC could benefit from owning the SPP As Well for a simple reason, we have all been detecting when the EMI is driving us nut and we have had to turn down the power to try and get the machine to run smooth and some folks have just plain packed up and gone home, But if they had an SPP behind the seat then although it does not have the power of the 5k you can actually run it flat out in such areas whether it is caused by power line or the on coming weather, and for users of the SDC/GPXs the SPP should be seen as an extra tool in the kit instead an opposing Brand because it could mean the difference between going home early or finding some gold.

Without mentioning any brands we have to take into account that there are some that suffer from the above items, So with that by getting someone to buy a certain machine that suffers from the above knowing their intentions, would be just plain wrong.
Getting people out there amongst it more important that arguing over brand loyalty, XXXbrand could have made the SPP but the fact is they did not, and really they are silly because everyone Loves xxxxx brand and if they put out a PI in the sensible price bracket then people would be buying that instead of the SPP, But as with all things xxxxx they are losing sales to Whites because people all over the world are hurting money wise yet xxxxx cheapest PI is nearly $4000 and only last month minelab re release the 4500, but it is still nearly 3 x the price of the SPP and the SDC (is 3 x the cost of the SPP), and so not many people can afford 4k, where as Whites has released a whole range of Budget line Gold based machines with the SST the GMZ and the SPP, which many people who could not go out finding gold due to the costs can now do so and have found gold working with these lower cost machines,
You can't buy those sort of memories and if people can do it with those machines then more power to them.

All of my machines have the Ability to find Natural Gold, and ALL of them are Gold Based Machines,

john

I just give up.
Karl

YIPPEKAIAY said:
Thanx ppls i was looking at a oz pro but the whites distributer at melbourne said id be better with the spp! It was the first time ive ever heard a sales rep try to sell me the cheaper product even though i wanted the dearer one hes input was i was new to the game never held a detector b4 ever n it takes heaps of coils im not a biased company person( garret whites mine lab) etc i just want good gear for what i need dont wanna start arguments or biased opinions just want something me n my family can use without obtaining a uni degree to work it !!
No point spending the rest of my life looking for shiny shite just to pay off the debt of the gear after all ITS A HOBBY NOT A DEBT ADVENTURE!
YIPPE KAI AY
REALLY APPRECIATE THE INPUT LOT OF GREAT KNOWLEDGE HERE N I TIP MY HAT !!!

Congrats on the New member of the Family, (and you don't have to change the Nappies on this One) and it won't grow up into a Teenager, lol :mad: :mad:

Your not the first one to say that about Goldsearch, Seems like one of the few Companies that would rather Build up a good REP instead of a good Bank Account, that's Inspiring,

I hope you got a Good Pick too because that machine will give you a good workout on some pretty deep Targets,

Have fun and good luck, john

KarlS said:
Ridge Runner said:
KarlS said:
Karl

john

I just give up.
Karl

Karl, it is what it is,

anyway be lucky and I hope you find a ton of Gold,

John

Sounds like good advice to start out on a cheaper and more simplified PI unit. You can always upgrade later on when more confident on your detecting skills and wanting more versatility, or sell up with minimal loss if you find such a hobby isn't to your liking. :)

YIPPEKAIAY said:
Ridge runner cheers n which machine the tdi oz or the spp

Well To keep it fun I would pick the SPP and because it is so light I think it is the best machine to take in to unknown areas where you are zipping from one spot to another to check out possible sites and if the country gets a bit hilly then there is no better machine at 3.5 pounds, because swinging a 5 or 7 pound machine on a hill side is no laughing matter add to that your pick and water and all the other stuff, It's a No Brainer for me, Give me the SPP ALL DAY, and the best part just about every General Store has the Batteries On the Shelf not just in OZ but World Wide, where as Machines with Special Batteries have to come from One Place and if you loose it or it dies then your holiday is stuffed.

I think you did the right thing, and when you find that 2ozt nugget in the next couple of weeks take some photos, If you ever want to add the pro at a later date you will have the SPP for the Mrs If she is nice to you, I have a pretty good collection from the cheaper models up to the dearer machines but my little Whites PI always makes me smile with what it can do, hope this helps.

Well done Mate,

John

My take on this thread is if you have ground to detect that has not had a GP or GPX series over it then go the whites it will probably find nice chunks at a reasonable depth, if you only have ground that every GPX has been over get the SDC as it will find the gold the others have missed, I've seen SDC's pull nuggets off ground in 5 mins that several GPX's over several days could not pull a nugget from.

I'd rather stay out of these debates but it's true, the SDC is extremely sensitive to small gold in very difficult ground and EMI.

Heatho said:
My take on this thread is if you have ground to detect that has not had a GP or GPX series over it then go the whites it will probably find nice chunks at a reasonable depth, if you only have ground that every GPX has been over get the SDC as it will find the gold the others have missed, I've seen SDC's pull nuggets off ground in 5 mins that several GPX's over several days could not pull a nugget from.

I'd rather stay out of these debates but it's true, the SDC is extremely sensitive to small gold in very difficult ground and EMI.

Fair Comment Heatho,

Comparing machines is always a tough one when you add the fors and againsts for every machine, since the mods have been done some of these machines have changed and that small Gold gap is getting mighty close, in fact too close to call,

The only thing that's matters is people get out there and just have a ball and forget the stress of daily life, and share the moments with loved ones or Mates, machines break down,,, Memories live for ever.

john

Latest posts