Where to detect for Eluvial gold!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I harped on in another area of this forum about detecting (I was no doubt off topic), so I thought I would share some tips in the correct area for anyone who may be interested.

Im far from an expert and this is by no means a complete guide, but I thought perhaps some of these suggestions may help both new, and seasoned detectorists alike?

Anyway, its just my 2 cents!

Entree:

Buy the best machine you can afford and learn it inside out (ground bal etc), have a methodical plan (stick to it), pick out your area according to the indicators, and be thorough......try to resist wondering aimlessly through the bush.
Go low and go slow! Put your coil to the soil and dont worry to much about covering extra ground

Dont be frightened off by areas you know have been searched before, especially if there have been previous finds.....they rarely get it all! Look for any evidence of Gridding/Chaining or other tell tale signs that someone has got gold in the area previously.

Love it when someone tells you, "there is no gold there"

Main Course:

(1) Look at low hills, rises and flats adjacent to gold producing areas such as old gold mines, old timers reef extractions etc,
Direct most effort to the hillsides, the costeans or dryblowing sites.
Gully's are usually heavily covered with soils from rains etc, and put most possible finds out of detector range. They have also usually been surfaced down to their bottoms by the old timers, especially near old diggings.

(2) Detect along laterite profiles (Red soil rich in iron oxidization) that have developed over the bedrock. Look for undisturbed hard clay areas along these slopes also.

(3) Look at the base, and sides of these hills where there is prolific ironstone and quartz rubble around.

(4) Search on hillsides where there are natural barriers for shed gold such as a quartz vein, a dike or other rock outcrops, boulders etc.
Also observe flats and depressions on these hillsides where gold cant defy gravity!
The old timers worked the reefs on top of the rises, and the gully's below them, but they generally hardly worked the slops in between.

(5) Follow the path down the hill from any gold finds, and also up the hill. Is the primary source of the Eluvial close by?

(6) Always read the vegetation....If there is a change of vegetation on the side of a hill, check to see if there is indicating ground, where material has been deposited in a depression or a flat.

(7) Detect for coarse gold on the banks, or edges, of old salt lakes at the bases of these slopes.(Do research on area's of high Salinity). Gold has an affinity with Salinity, as it does quartz and ironstone.

(8) Always use correct technique, be patient and move slowly.......concentrate on area's that have all the indicators using the above plan!

(9) Gold does not like to be lonely....learn to develop sound gridding/chaining methods around any finds as its most likely they have some brothers and sisters close nearby.

(10) Try to understand and interpret any gold you find, as well as the local geological environment your in! (know what to look for)
This will help you to determine what type of gold it is, whether it is alluvial, or eluvial, placer etc and will help you to prospect the area further if thats your wish.

(*) If your onto a patch, try not to leave any evidence of you being there once you leave......always return even after you think you may have got it all.
A different coil or even machine, can do wonders on the next sweep over.

edit: Research, research and research again.....use the modern tech available at your fingertips to increase the odds in your favour!

Good Luck ;)

Very helpful write up Metamorphic! There's a few new tips that I've taken on board after reading through. You get 5 stars :cool:

awsome info mate.
Ive been trying to find my own patch for awhile now with no success. Luckly I had some people who had been detecting for a long time show me the ropes. On there old patches of coarse. I think i figured out the detecting part now, im getting the same amount as the other guys in my camp although there just small bits. My biggest too date is 1.5g. Ive tried bout four or five different trips by myself to try and find my own patch but have no success and after 5 days 10 hrs aday swinging a detector for nothing I end up going back past one of the guys spots just to get a small bit.
I try and pick spots between old gold mines in the areas close to where Ive been taken before but just end up walking around for nothing. I will try few of your suggestions next time im on the ground hopefully reduce the area I need to cover and have some luck.
im desparate for something bigger than 1.5 grams.

will keep on keepin on hopefully my luck will change soon :D

Great info.. So far all of my gold has come from my home made sluice so after shelling out for my first detector ( xterra 705 ) I hope to change that!
Thanks for the tips ;)

On the down side:

Despite what the manufactures tell you, any metal detector available today, will never guarantee you success.
Gold does not give itself up easy, and there are a couple of main disadvantages in detecting with any machine.

Firstly, you have got to be in a nugget producing area and even with the availability of 'Internet Research', this is still not easy.
Most of the recent nugget finds are rarely reported today, and the area's they are found in are never reported with any accuracy.
I believe in treading your own path around the edges of known area's and having lady luck on your side.

And more importantly, it has to be fairly shallow ground consisting of old rock, old flow. (gold is with the older rock strata).
The sides of Anticlines will contain the older rock, closer to the surface so read up on how to identify anticlines as opposed to Synclines where the older rock will be deeper.
It should also be ground that has a favorable 'mineralization mix' allowing your coil to punch deeper, and still hear its signal.
I think its fact that no matter how much hype surrounds the coil you use, its mineralization that determines depth before it bounces the signal back to you.

Discrimination : Dont use it when hunting for gold! Dig everything. Gold can and will discriminate as Iron depending on its 'lay' and 'depth' in ground, type and amount of mineralization, what (if any) type of host rock it may be attached too, if there is iron junk on top or close by masking the signal etc etc etc.

Now I have heard others say....."but I know whats under the coil by the tone" or "I wont bother digging that, its just hot rock" and "your just wasting valuable time digging what you dont have too"
Really?..... Maybe, but then again maybe not!
If you think this way, its my belief you run a very big risk of leaving good gold in the ground.

Ask yourself...... if you managed to recover a 1oz nugget out of every 1000 digs, would it be worth it to you?

It sure as hell would for me! ;)

Kind Regards :cool:

Great advice. Hot rocks and ground will and should always be treated with caution. 4500/5000 experienced users will still always admit (unless they are a W anker) that they still dig some holes that turn up hot rocks or that bloody red clay domes which sound great. I think of it this way - if you are picking up hot rocks/ground, its the detectors way of saying 'I am working OK'. I always think mineralised ground noises are natures way of saying - 'this is worth a look champ'. I very nearly walked away from a nice grammer the other day but that old nagging feeling that this sounds just a wee bit sharper had me digging. Ignore nothing.

Spot on loamer! A good mindset to have mate.

I too have nearly walked away from small pieces because of that exact same thing.

About a year ago, I dug up a beautiful small 1.73 grammer that gave me an 'Iron grunt' on my GMT.....It wasn't a consistent grunt, nor was it a solid signal till I got an inch or two deeper, but the experience spun my head a bit.
I remember taking a step or two away to head off after a light scraping with my boot thinking "Nah", something made me turn 180 and sweep that boot scrap one more time. I'm glad I did.
i wont trust discrimination ever again.

Besides, most junk is only shallow and its not a lot of real effort to unearth disappointment hey.
Most times its gone with the 'boot scrape' anyway.

The fact that the Old Timers sometimes hid their gold, buried in old jam tins to avoid bushrangers is haunting and for whatever reason, sometimes they never returned.
Imagine walking away from something like that thinking you know what the signal is telling you?

10op2eb.jpg

Regards

Great advice Metamorphic and Loamer. Can't wait to get back out there and give it a crack.
Currently all my nuggets have been found around the old diggings which I have hammered but now I will go back and check the hillsides.

just did a quick read up on anticlines and synclines.
in summary anticlines are ridges pushed up by the edges and synclines are troughs caused by the edges forceing the center down. I think.

Thanks for some more great info Metamorphic.
will keep trying to learn as much as possible.

Keep up the good work guys, many of us are
yet to find our 1st bit of gold.
It motivates me to break out the sd2000 again
after a couple of months of frustration.
Thanks again,
Cheers Steve :)

loamer said:
Great advice. Hot rocks and ground will and should always be treated with caution. 4500/5000 experienced users will still always admit (unless they are a W anker) that they still dig some holes that turn up hot rocks or that bloody red clay domes which sound great. I think of it this way - if you are picking up hot rocks/ground, its the detectors way of saying 'I am working OK'. I always think mineralised ground noises are natures way of saying - 'this is worth a look champ'. I very nearly walked away from a nice grammer the other day but that old nagging feeling that this sounds just a wee bit sharper had me digging. Ignore nothing.

Loamer I had that experience detecting an area near Maryborough after some rain, I ran into a patch of that lovely red clay and I dug a lot of holes for nothing but with one the signal suddenly sharpened revealing a nice little 0.7 grammer!

Ian

I wonder about auto tracking sometimes?

Can we 'track out' a true signal by sweeping shortly over a target too many times?

You know, when your not quite sure, or maybe because the target is just on the verge of your detectors power?

Should we be tracking over ground, then when the threshold breaks for a signal, should we switch to fixed?

Read a great article in GG&T mag about this very issue.

What are your opinions on this?

PI and VLF.

Cheers

I use a 5000 (tracking)when with mates as they have a spare and my F1A4 (no tracking) when alone.
I like the wide sweep technique suggested in GG&T .
Ive just been scratching it down abit to get closer too the target before deciding if it there or not . It shouldnt track out a good signal maybe just a fringe target. Once you close the distance to the target buy an inch it should sound off nicely and not track out . thats wat ive been doing seems to work ok for me, better than digging holes everywhere for hot ground. But i will never know if Ive missed one :D :D

when using my F1 I sometimes hold the grnd balance button in as I swing when the ground is changing quickly. Alway weary it will track out a target thats why i scatch down abit on all iffy signals just to check. It wont balance out a test piece of gold I use so Im pritty confident just getting closer works. maybe!

Thanks flash

Your right, its not such a major issue with my GMT on definite targets, even fairly deep, but I guess the real tough ones right on the edge of range in hot ground are the only real concern. Usually in those "is it, or not" situations I will switch to fixed and use the 'Grab' button when my mineralization monitor runs over 72.
Like you, I give it a boot sweep, if its still there, a light scrape with the pick and that is usually enough to rule out anything but a fairdinkum target.

Im more of a short sweeper in deeper vegetation, rocky areas, but try to long sweep once i hit more open ground but i feel like im watching a game of tennis.
Good advice mate.

Cheers

Thanks metamorphic and everyone for your info! It has confirmed for me a lot of what I have been thinking. You really need to be disciplined and stick to your search plan(which is hard for me I get to excited) and dig everything even the big junkie sounds.
Regards

those big junkie sounds will be a big chunk of gold one day best to dig everything.
I too suffer from over excitement I have to keep reminding myself "Low and Slow gets the gold" Im always looking at ground arnd me wanting to be further over or ahead or on the next ridge instead of covering the ground im on thoroughly. once I slow down I start getting a few bits

Hi guys I'm on to some old mines scattered across a district and every gully has had its gravels worked down to the clay on the uphill side of each shaft!

My Q? is this are these vertical shafts at each gully a gold source or water well dug to obtain water for processing the gravels... interestingly enough they were listed as mine shafts with the Dept of Mines, but every shaft is on the lower side of the workings????

What is going on here as the shaft to the source is always mostly been on the high end of such workings???

Confused!!!!

Latest posts