Whats this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1587978894_image.jpg

Took the dogs for a walk on private property along a creek. Notice a very old fire place. This was shining in the sun.

Thinking its a back of a fog watch.

Heavy in weight

Thanks

Mark

Thanks. No rust at all On the other side brown green stain. Cant clean it yet. But its golden colour. Thinking more on lines of kerosine cap of old tin can

Welch plugs are generally brass and the brown / green could very well be the rust and coolant build up from the inside of an engine and it could be from a tractor or truck and not a car . Some old stationary engines also had these .

Rockhunter62 said:
I reckon it is the base of a can of some description. Maybe like RP-7.

Cheers

Doug

That's interesting you say that Doug. When I was a kid my dads car blew a welch plug on a family outing once in the early 1970's. He was a mechanic by trade, and a very resourceful bloke. He rummaged through his mobile toolbox in the back, and came up with a metal screw top from an old Golden Fleece fuel or oil container. It was almost an exact fit for the hole left in the engine block from the blown plug. He put some adhesive goop around the outside of the screw top lid, and placed it nicely in the hole by pressing it in by hitting a large socket that he had that was the same OD as the screw top. It got us home

Latest posts