Whats the Best Mobile phone Provider

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mudgee hunter said:
Depending on where you are.
Almost throw most phones out the window in the outback!
Telstra if you enjoy living

Yeah if youre in the city you can choose almost any network reseller but rural / bush / outback its still Telstra that has the coverage , and if youre still on the fringe there are boosters to improve it more.

For city ? Circle of life had an opening special of $28 per month which comes with 100 gig of data , you can use it through your phone or to give network access to a laptop , tablet or desktop PC .

Mrs D and I booked a weekend away with the kids in Wedderburn Vic about 2 yrs ago, at the old hospital which is now a B&B. We got to the town and went to call the owner to let her know we were there, wife gets her phone out (Optus) and zero signal. I got my phone out (Optus) and also Zero signal. We drove around to different parts of the town, and both total zero signal. Realizing we were up the creek, Mrs D ran into the little supermarket and bought a $2 Telstra Simcard and put it in her phone- Full five bars on the signal. (It's amazing how women get the light bulb moments long before us blokes) :)

When we got back home we both changed over to Telstra. My phone has gone from zero or little signal when out detecting in state forest in the GT, to full or good signal in most places. Providers will try to tell you sometimes that it's the type of phone you have that causes it- B.S.

Mrs D has a fairly recent smart phone, and I have an old clam shell flip phone. Both went from zero signal to full signal in Wedderburn by changing from Optus to Telstra. I suspect that in the city and suburbs it probably makes little difference, but I don't prospect in Bourke street. Get out into the bush and it's chalk and cheese, and in an emergency could make a heap of difference.

Partial decommissioning has already happened. Telstra shutdown their 2100MHz 3G service in March last year, leaving some users of older 3G phones with a problem:

1600733759_telstra_3g.jpg

Yes, if you go away for a month you have great coverage for $15.00--lifts the confidence hey? I already pay $15 a month on my Satphone using Pivotel so for me this is not necessary.

I'm not on a plan.. I can cancel any time, free of charge.. I get Telstra coverage all over the country.. I get unlimited calls in Aus.. Plus 60 gigs of data.. It costs me $25 a month.

Anyone getting a better deal??

Hard Luck said:
Boost network reaches 99.4% of the population
Aldi, woolies etc reach reaches 98.8% of the population
a .6 difference.
Let's all have a big cry about that 8.(

Here are the two Telstra coverage maps for comparison. Maybe not so much in Victoria, but for many the difference in area coverage (NOT resident population coverage), would be pretty significant, particularly for those of us who venture outside the main centres on a regular basis:

1600739894_telstra_min_cover.jpg

1600739921_telstra_max_cover.jpg

The coverage gap across the Nullarbor is huge for the wholesale networks and those undertaking the full lap around the continent are much better served by the wider network, especially in northern WA.

My son works part time for optus he signed us up for a home phone and internet and a family cell phone plane with 4 SIM cards the package cost around $75 per month each sim has unlimited domestic and international calls and includes data ( I think?) although Im not sure of the amount data we each get or if its shared data.
my only issue is I have to pay Telstra $25 to unlock my Telstra prepaid phone :mad: or go and buy an unlocked phone to use the optus sim... which is more $$$.. :/

nucopia said:
My son works part time for optus he signed us up for a home phone and internet and a family cell phone plane with 4 SIM cards the package cost around $75 per month each sim has unlimited domestic and international calls and includes data ( I think?) although Im not sure of the amount data we each get or if its shared data.
my only issue is I have to pay Telstra $25 to unlock my Telstra prepaid phone :mad: or go and buy an unlocked phone to use the optus sim... which is more $$$.. :/

Keep the Telstra pre paid, you won't get Optus coverage in the bush.

grubstake said:
Hard Luck said:
Boost network reaches 99.4% of the population
Aldi, woolies etc reach reaches 98.8% of the population
a .6 difference.
Let's all have a big cry about that 8.(

Here are the two Telstra coverage maps for comparison. Maybe not so much in Victoria, but for many the difference in area coverage (NOT resident population coverage), would be pretty significant, particularly for those of us who venture outside the main centres on a regular basis:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1600739894_telstra_min_cover.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1600739921_telstra_max_cover.jpg

The coverage gap across the Nullarbor is huge for the wholesale networks and those undertaking the full lap around the continent are much better served by the wider network, especially in northern WA.

Of course grubstake. Would be wise to have a sat phone as well if doing the full lap. :Y:

Latest posts