What's a good Gold Detector to start out with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx again for all the help. I think Ill try to get a second hand detector (probably AT GOLD) and see how it goes and wait for the new Garrett which should come out this year. I even contacted Garrett to see if I can get some details but obviously they said nahhhh.

Going by the hire rate @ $30/day, if you can go to a nearby area renting one at that rate you will be well in front of a purchase :cool:
And you can try different machines over the same area and decide what works best :D

P.S. Start with the cheapest/lowest spec machine and work up; when you find nothing go back to last machine used and found something, and BINGO :eek:

Salla said:

they are also available from USA for $ 1100 AUD but the gumtree one you posted does have accessories with it

i didnt check shipping cost but its an option to consider

then you need to ask if warranty is transferable between dealers ( global warranty )

email Garret and say you're taking holiday in USA and want to buy a detector there , will warranty still apply when you come back home to Australia ... ?

I am looking at waterproof detectors too

best wishes

Hi All

A newbie to the forum here.

After a bit of advice on detectors. I have not been prospecting for quite some time and the array of available machines is quite staggering. I have been prospecting with my old man since a was a kid in the Yundamindera area in the WA goldfields, we did really well starting from a few nuggets detected with old Garretts to dryblowing, shaft sinking and eventually an open pit.

Have not detected since I was 18 years old as I have been too busy with my mining career for the last 27 years and its now time to get back into it.

I have since moved to Darwin and have a good 4wd quad and have been searching for old abandoned mines with some success around the Pine Creek area.

My question is what would be the best choice for a relic detector that can handle hot ground?

I plan on a GPX5000 for gold but there is myriad sites for relics especially a large amount of WW2 sites throughout the region and there is many opportunities for some fun other than gold.

Thanks

hello
The relic setting on the 5000 and 4800 do not work in Australia, they were designed for over seas markets.
what the relic mode does is switch the ground balance off all together, so you can get more depth.
when the ground balance is switch off, it is not like having the ground balance in fixed.
you can't get the coil within two foot of the ground here in Australia without the machine going crazy when in relic mode
regards trashmagnet

Thanks for pointing that out. Had read sales pitches, especially for the 4800, that said they were "perfect for the professional coin/relic hunter wanting the most out of their machine" or words to that effect.
Its not until you read further down that you see that the coin & relic timing is only for benign soils.

Hey Kimberlite. I'm new to detecting myself so i probably can't really comment on what choice of detector would be right, but I'm also in Darwin til november, so if you need a prospecting buddy let me know. I should have my new detector next week if you're interested.

My Email is [Email address removed for privacy reasons, please add an email address to your profile - Nugget] if you're interested.

Hey Bez

What detector are you getting and what area are you planning on prospecting?

I have spent a lot of time at Cosmo working and also exploring the area (but with no detector) so i plan on hitting the Princess Louise Burrundie to Mary river area.

Might be able to get a weekend in mid September free (busy working FIFO in the Pilbara and have commitment for my next few R&R's) Very interesting in the relic side of things as well as gold. (so many WW2 sites)

I might take the plunge and get a GPX 5000 but also want a more relic dedicated machine as well for my partner. Looking at an Xterra 705 dual or a Garrett 250

Cheers

Jim

I'm getting the 705 X Terra gold pack plus a 15" coiltek coil. Have never detected before so, I have no idea how it will go, but can't wait to get out there and give it a go to say the least(When it finally arrives).

I was looking at checking out the Mt Bundy and Mary river area as their seems to be a lot of mining going on in the area, and also want to check down near Manton dam and litchfield parks.

And yeah mate, if you have a weekend free in September and are interested in heading out prospecting, just hit me up. Hopefully I'll have something to report on the with 705 in regards to how it handles up on these grounds next sunday, if you still haven't bought something for your partner.

Cheers.

I had the same dilemma , ended up getting a AT Pro international for the time being while I wait to hear more about the new Garrett that's meant to be as good if not better than a gpx5000 and waterproof, so I'm told ... But I am very happy with the AT Pro, waterproof ect...

After spending hours on forums to get my 2 detectors I think I will start with a AT pro gold ( to target fine shallow gold and some relics) but still tossing up between a xterra705 dual or a CTX3030 for the second one which will mainly be for relics.

Just a bit worried as all of my relic hunting will be in the goldfields. Not sure on how hot the ground is up here but it does not have the obvious visual ironstone like the WA goldfeilds.

There is quite a few shows of hematite around the area (Frances Creek iron ore mine) but there is a distinct lack of BIF in most areas so unsure how widespread it is.

Theres too many choices out there!

been looking into buying a detector for 90% gold purposes.
choices are:

Fisher Gold Bug 2
Fisher F75ltd
White's GMT
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett Infinium
Minelab X-Terra 705

what is good?? i'm a newbie and want a good detector for prospecting in the victorian bush.

i've been looking at the garrett infinium alot mainly because its PI and Multiple Frequency Technology. and i've read alot of good posts about the gold bug 2. but then the AT gold has good reviews as well as the x-terra 705.

so imo, infinium or gold bug 2?

I would be looking at a sd2100-2200 minimum if your mainly interested in gold. The VLFs will find small gold but only if it's really shallow near the surface, and dont handle minerlised ground at all. The infinium is a good cheap PI but not in the same league as the Minelab PIs.

DD

Diggerdude said:
I would be looking at a sd2100-2200 minimum if your mainly interested in gold. The VLFs will find small gold but only if it's really shallow near the surface, and dont handle minerlised ground at all. The infinium is a good cheap PI but not in the same league as the Minelab PIs.

DD
That's not always true, i have found a gold nugget in Gympie 0.7gram 6 or 7 inch deep with my AT gold, and gympie is not the worst place you can go for hot rock but it still has a fair bit, and the infinium is no match for a GPX series detector for features, but it will still find gold the same way a minelab PI will, it might not go a foot down but it isnt $6000 either just my 2c worth

I have owned both, the infinium is a good cheap detector but 90% of the gold found now is under 0.5g which the infinium hardly makes a murmur at. The VLFs might jag a nugget that's not on the surface but in most areas the gound is too mineralized and simply because of the way VLFs are designed they won't penetrate it.
The detectors mentioned will work, I just think its more likely you will find gold other an SD.

DD

I agree defiantly go PI, i wasn't saying buy a VLF because that would be a mistake for Mainly gold hunting, whatever detector you choose, you will have fun with, getting into the hobby is the best part of it, and buy what ever detector you can afford, Minelab and garret both have great detectors and learning how to use them is going to be the hardest part and patience of course, and get your self a good pick like a cc pick or something like that, it makes like allot easier.

Latest posts