What type of dog??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Thinking of getting a new dog?

Any ideas?

She needs to enjoy long car rides...

Not too big...

Not a dog that barks at anything...

Feel free to post a photo of yours if you like.

Thank you

I had a bully cross cattle dog, the best snake and gaurd dog I've ever seen. Kids could do anything with her and she would lay there and take it and come back for more. Her only problem was she use too fart when in the back of the car and when i'd look at her she would have the "it wasn't me look on the face".
:) Mick
If I was to get another dog it'd be a staffie.

Whatever breed you get will only be as good as the training you give it.

Agree with above comments staffys are great so are rottis and german shepherds.

Ps. Every dog I've had loves long car rides.

Red Heeler - Max (also known as Max the Wonder Dog). Very protective, highly intelligent, excellent watch dog. Max is now 13, so in the twilight of his life. Forms part of the family pack and super protective of the family kids. Now getting hip problems and cant get up onto the tray without a bit of help. Need plenty of space and activities otherwise they get bored. Loves the goldfields and an excellent companion - no-one creeps up on you when you detect with a Heeler. A bit moody and don't need constant girly cuddles and goo goo noises. Tough Australian working dog.

Issue with dogs? He usually can't go on private land that is stocked with animals but several old timers know him so he is fine as long as he is on a run. They can wander and you need to be careful of baits and Dingos, especially detecting over in WA. Despises fluffy, small yappy dogs and have a low tolerance for idiots - just like their owners. :lol: hates my ex-mother in law.

Love him to bits.

Have to agree with bushpig, a dog is as good as you train it to be, no matter what the breed.
I have a very loyal, fat black Labrador who is very protective of her yard (whenever I can get her off the lounge) and has always been great with the kids. She loves being around people and was very easy to train, what training she had anyway. I think she just learnt most of her stuff off our other dog which was a ridgeback X mastiff. He was a great dog before his passing. Loved attention, loved being in the car and protective of his yard.
1407028099_ash_okuma.jpg

All dogs are breed for some qualities, and it pays to research before such a big commitment.
For me a Hungarian Poole is tops, my friend had one on his boat and over the years prove her self in many way!
I'm not into smelly dogs or ones that just run around their yard barking at anything that moves.
Whatever dog you get I'm sure you will have a friend for life :)

Still got the phone number of one of my EX'S, if you want it Wolf :lol: :lol:
Be warned even if you go for a LONG drive over the border and try dumping her, she still gunna follow you home, she wont get LOST even if you tell her TO:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

You cant go past a Border Collie, love kids, very obedient,lots of brains,travel well, low maintenance,
reasonable feed cost,and there are plenty that have been bred in town so the working dog has been bred
out of them.

Go to the local pound and have a look through dogs, see which ones are friendly and are the size your looking for etc. Most dogs like car rides after a couple trips etc...

I'm a big softie for our four legged friends. Try the shelters and take a young one of death row if you can, but if your chasing a bullet proof trainable easy care dog jack Russells are great tick all the boxes second choice staffy had 7 staffies 2 jack Russells in my time great dogs. Depends on other factors though you haven't mentioned renting can be a real issue with dogs. Do you have time for walking it, will it be OK around other dogs, do your neighbors have one , are you going to take it to areas that some breeds might be better for, can someone else look after it if you have to go away (hospital holidays emergency funeral etc) , so many factors is hard to make the right recommendation.

kelpie's are good dogs . I got a bitch and she Is territorial of the yard and let's you know but loves people . loves digging holes and loves the car . We can't say beach because she'll get too excited. Hunts flies or any insect . knows that bees do sting . Loves cats and protects ours . and In general a very nosey dog that wants to know what's going on . Pinches chocolate if left out and drinks my coffee . She'll wait at the gate all day for me or the wife to come home. And hogs the heater at night .

Wolfau, Get a jack russell or tenterfield terrier or a cross jack russell/ foxy/tenterfield etc. Get the short haired variety, no hair all over your car etc. Compact size for travelling, run on a smell of a oily bone and are good a letting you know someones around your camp site. :)

Someone mentioned staffy's as a guard dog, those things will lick you to dead. :)

Retirement Stone said:
Not one of these, Dachshund! Nothing less than 5 star accomodation for this pooch!

Get one if you require an alternate contraception idea! :mad

I used to have a beagle......he was like my shadow, never more than a couple of feet away.
After he passed we now have two Dashies !
Found out yesterday they bark at the detector...and as fast as I could bury them they kept digging up the 20, 10, & 5 cent pieces as well as the bolts, nails etc that I was burying to try out my unit.

Latest posts