What to look for when hunting for gems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

So im a noobi, and yes my experience in this matter is what iv watched on tv shows :p

So I plan on going to a location that Gem fossibcking is allowed just outside of melbourne.

What should I be looking for ? Do i just find a good spot and start digging near large rocks. Do I pull rock away etc..

Any words of wisdom on how to start once I arrive at the location would be appreciated.

Should I try and find a map of this national park ?

Cheers

julien

i personally dunno much about what to look for but i go to an area i like somewhere nice and in the shade and dig till i get bored or find nothing interesting. usually do, if you just persist and have a look around i usually find interesting and pretty things

G'day noobi, get yaself two sieves they come as a pair and a good gold pan and head out to Dolly's creek near Meredith between Geelong and Ballarat, walk into the dry at the moment creek bed and start digging you can always take a bucket full somewhere to wash. But most of all get out and have some fun.

Hey Bindy, I've been meaning to get out there myself. Gimmeplease, there's also churt out there too!

If you're up for the drive there's peridot out at mortlake, about an hour and a half from Geelong. There's a great post on this forum a couple of pages back on it.

Latest posts