What Book are You Readng

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flowerpot

Kerrie
Reaction score
Calling all readers, coooooweeeeee
Do you love to read books of all kinds?
Would love to know what you've read and are reading and what your thoughts are about those books etc.
Please feel free to share :)

Recently I read A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman
Ove is a grumpy very private, solitary neighbour, he has a strict set of priciples and likes everyone to stick to them, I loved this easy to read story
annoying as Ove is, got under my skin and found I couldn"t put the book down. Loved it

Now dont quote me on this but I think his name was Sam poo. From what I gather it may have been a play on words about his abilitys .

I read all over the place.

At the moment I'm reading Robert Sapolsky's Behave- The Biology of Humans at our Best and Worst.

The best book in that genre is Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate, which is probably the most important social science book of the last 50 years.

I also read cook books, the odd novel, and every year I re-read Ed Waller's And There's Gold Out There - a novel based on the author's real experiences gold prospecting in Southern NSW before WW2. I'd recommend it to any prospector.

I also read a whole lot of blogs and articles that come up via many different sources. Arts and Letters Daily and GNXP are two sites I visit daily.

Eldorado said:
Bjay said:
Now dont quote me on this but I think his name was Sam poo. From what I gather it may have been a play on words about his abilitys .
Sam Pu.There was a movie made about him.Filmed in Canberra.

https://youtu.be/Kofs15HPMeQ

Thanks for the link Eldorado - that looks like a good watch. I'll have to see if it is procurable somewhere!

DrDuck said:
Eldorado said:
Bjay said:
Sam Pu.There was a movie made about him.Filmed in Canberra.

https://youtu.be/Kofs15HPMeQ

Thanks for the link Eldorado - that looks like a good watch. I'll have to see if it is procurable somewhere!
No worries Doc,it does look pretty good.I also meant to say I have recently finished reading Mrs Kelly by Grantlee Kieza,the story of Neds mother.I generally don't read much but enjoy a bit of true Australian history.

1518357011_screenshot_2018-02-11-23-46-01.jpg

:Y: 8) :rainbow:

Embarrassed to say I haven't really read a book since Jehovah invented the internet but I read everyday online.

I made a commitment to start reading again this year and finally pulled out Blood Gold's Revenge by Dave Wright just last week which was a gift from a forum member.

I also just got the Len Beadell collection of 6 books which is sitting there waiting till I finish the Dave Wright one.

madtuna said:
Embarrassed to say I haven't really read a book since Jehovah invented the internet but I read everyday online.

I made a commitment to start reading again this year and finally pulled out Blood Gold's Revenge by Dave Wright just last week which was a gift from a forum member.

I also just got the Len Beadell collection of 6 books which is sitting there waiting till I finish the Dave Wright one.
Good on you tuna, :Y:

Bjay said:

Yeah, there's a monument just out of Gulgong 30kms? Where he shot a copper.

Just got my hands on a book called Lawless Shores. About early days in Australia. Big book.
EYE OPENER !

I'm about 1/3 of the way through reading Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. It's called Oathbringer.

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy and this is probably hands down the best fantasy series I have ever read. The first book is called The Way of Kings. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Totally epic.

Oh and my favourite author of all time is Iain M. Banks (RIP).

images

Hey ho Silver,
The Lost World of Quintana Roo.
I read that book sooooo many years ago.
It left me fascinated with Mayan archaeology.
For many years I've wanted to read that book again but couldn't remember the name of it.
Cheers mate.

Oh,
I am an avid reader of Sci-fi novels.
Presently reading the Lost Fleet series.
Also, being an old sailor, I love reading books with a nautical theme.

Just finished the Game of Thrones Boxed Set, pretty enjoyable.
Back to my more normal reading, crime, with Blowfly by Patricia Cornwall. ( another of the Scarpetta series)

Chiron52 said:
Hey ho Silver,
The Lost World of Quintana Roo.
I read that book sooooo many years ago.
It left me fascinated with Mayan archaeology.
For many years I've wanted to read that book again but couldn't remember the name of it.
Cheers mate.
I read it ages ago too Chiron... definately an eye opener of a read hey.
I still have my copy here in a box tucked away somewhere's :Y:
and I was a big sci fi fan way back (anything sci fi at all) that's what got me reading a lot at first... then I flipped over to real science, gardening, and whatever the subconscious wanted to speed read :Y: (let it have it's head for a fair run) :p

Latest posts