Warwick Qld. information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys for my first trip to find the addictive yellow stuff im goin to head to glendon with a mate for a weekend of panning and maybe giving a high-banker a go ( home built )
is there any tips i should take with me to help in the hunt, i have been told to go after rain to allow for fresh gold to show up better but is there anything else obviously wanna find as much as we can so we have enought to split up,

thanks for any help and pointers

regards

8-ball

Hey 8-ball,

Have you had a read of this guide? https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542, its full of useful information to get you started.

My non expert advice would be to go where you know gold has previously been found.

Look for crevices and any other areas that could trap gold, and remember gold is heavy so it will usually sink to the lowest possible resting point. So in a deep crevice, the gold will most likely be at the bottom, take a variety of tools that will assist you accessing these hard to reach spots.

Focus on creek bends and dig around tree roots as gold is often found trapped in these areas.

I hope that helps you out a little, and I look forward to seeing some pics.

Cheers,
Nugget

If he comes in here it would be awesome for some tips they would be much appreciated

Hey fellas,
8-ball, I dont know if you will get enough to split up but you will certainly get a little bit of color.
Its hard work out there as most of it is angular shaly rock that holds the gold well but it takes a lot of hard work to get it.
Most of the gullies around the property has got gold in them but the most common one is what they call the car park.
But if you a 4BY you can get into a lot of places that havent been touched yet, so a chance to get some nice gold is always on the cards.
There is no running water up there and when it is dry which is 85% of the time, 15ltr bkts are used to haul the material out and then carried down to the dam/lake and processed.
Detecting has been done up the back and people have said that it has been thrashed and there is no more gold but a mate of mine has proven all to be wrong by winning a few ounces from the back of the property.
There is plenty of place to go and is also dog freindly if you have one but when hunting the AU please and I can't stress this enough is teather the pooch up as there is baits strewn out there to controll the wild dog problem they are having with the sheep.
The camp site is tidy but not modern. For camping it is the Taj Mahal for me, I usually head bush and not have a shower for a few days, so this is a bonus.
Also you have the choice of powered or unpowered sites, plus there are also on site vans which have seen better days.
It is a working sheep station so care must be taken when they are shearing.
Also the property caters for horse riders and trail bike/4WDing, so there is a bit of a mixture in the crowd.
Hope this helps, should be out there soon, just been doing a lot of round the house chores. Gotta keep the ife lady happy.
Cheers for now.
Brad.....

Thanks aushunter that's some good Info we will have a suzuki 4x4 so we might be able to get further out not taking a dog but thats also go to know is it worth taking a high banker or just the pans for the first trip we know we're not going to strike it rich but we are hoping to get a lil to start us on the big hunt practice makes perfect :D also should we be taking a heap of buckets with us to reduce trips?

Certainly take the banker with you, I usually try and find a bit of a waterhole and recycle the water.
Buckets, well if you can get the 15ltr bkts are better than busting your back with the 20ltr ones, I am not as young as I used to be so lugging the bigger bkts I do very rarely.
Take a few up and get into the crevices with a kitty litter brush, $3.95 at woolies in the pet food isle.
Brush up the lot, take your time and then take it down to the dam and wash your dirt there.
Drive up past the dam, any of those gullies will produce, there are claim jumpers up there too.
I was working on a hole and finally got down to the good stuff, loaded up the truck and headed down to the dam for washing, looked in my rear view mirror and saw 2 blokes run down from the top of a ridge and jumped straight into my hole I was digging.
I yhought it was a bit of a laugh at how desperate these fellows are but I madesure I brushed up all the gravels before heading off.
Hope this helps, and good luck on the hunt.
Cheers
Brad...

Thanks heaps for the info mate ill post up when we have set a date in concrete for heading out and maybe someone experienced will be going out at the same time and can give us some practical pointer in person

Thanks again brad

would love to hear how you go 8-ball as i plan a trip in june/july (nice and cold i know)around wawrick to try my luck :D

hi guys, new to both PA and gold fossicking, we have a decent highbanker, heading out to warwick/glendon campsite for a week from 8th march for my first gold trip! being new im still learning what to look for, i would be extremely grateful if anyone has been out that way and has any tips on good places to start searching? or if anyone will be out that way id be keen to catch up for a little lesson haha.

cheers guys
blayke

G'day blayke, it's probably easiest just to dig next to where everyone else does if your new. Take the dirt right down to bed rock and clean the crevices out. Take lots of buckets as there is no water where most people dig out there, they fill buckets and cart it back to the dam.

DD

ok, is it better to fill buckets with all the dirt thats dug out or only whats down lower? or a combination and do some panning as you go? obviously do the digging then take it all to the dam setup the highbanker and run it?

there is still some water at thanes creek. like digger said dig in the creek bed u will find colour ;)
ps its only 10mins away from glendons

ok....so would it be better to dig around glendons or just camp there and travel to thanes? so anywhere is pretty much good there?

is it thanes that runs through glendon camping grounds? by the looks of it could be

the public area is on the other side of the main road just stop in at the info centre in warwick and thay will help u with maps and the like or just download them here http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/area-guides/south-east . as for glendons have never been there soo cant help, someone else probably can(would make a good base camp. also have a look at http://queenslandprospectingclub.org/ as thay have 800acres
all the best hope u get lots of yellow
Richard

ps dig everywhere till u find some ;)

ok no worries beans. glendonds backs onto talgai by the looks so if glendons doesnt work talgai is right there with the thanes fossicking area up north a couple k's.

Pretty sure that area at back of Glendons is a no no . There is a buffer zone to Talgai but get caught and you could be in poo pie let alone problems for other fossickers.
There's designated prospecting areas in Talgai and Durakai State Forest. You'll need a fossicking license which you can get here : http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/licences-permits/buy-licence-online
You can find info on prospecting areas here : http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/area-guides/south-east

Technically you should carry fossicking license even at Glendons but chance of getting hassled there is pretty low as private land but you never know and better to be safe than sorry.
My advice is contact a guy called Bruce. He does prospecting lessons out at Glendon and can fill you in on where to dig and that way you can use Glendons as a base, get tuned in and then go hit Talgai, Durakai or Thanes. I've pm'd you Bruce's mobile number. He's a top bloke and you'll learn a lot and then have a rough idea where to dig out the back of Glendons as it's a maze of tracks out the back.

Cheers

Latest posts