Warning about Oallen Forde

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is good to hear we should still be able to go for a dig out there, great work guys.

I can understand the need to do something about the idiot element out there, we have seen a fair bit of it. From motorcycle's spraying rocks at an elderly couples caravan, because they asked them not to drive so close to their site, to drunk yobbos in 4WD's trying to drive right up the middle of the river and people shooting up on the high terrace while drinking and partying. But I feel theses signs will just be trouble. What happens when and environmentalist or do-gooder calls to make a complaint when they have seen someone camping and digging because of the sign, even if the person was doing the right thing?

Tathradj said:
Bundyjd,
If you are just putting along minding your own business and if you get seen doing that and you are doing the right thing,
I would say that you would hardly be worth a glance.
Except to say G'Day.
I ride too. Except I don't have a bike ATM. LOL

Yeah, I guess not riding something that looks and sounds like it should be on a MX track and not dressing like a Travis Pastrana wannabe helps with that. I find most people are really cool about it once they realise you're not a knob.

And mate, any time you are in these parts you are welcome to come on a ride - I've got a spare bike and there is some brilliant riding to be done out at places like the old goldfields near Bredbo.

Simple again. State your case calmly and express your concerns.
Record it as well.
Yes we know there are some Richard Craniums around but recording all brings things to a sudden halt. If you get done
take it to a supervisor or the head honcho.
Heck, I have had rangers stop and have a cuppa or ask a heap of questions about the WalBanker.
I was down in Yambulla in a "Grey" area and had just stopped after a bit of bankering. They got out of their Landcruiser and when they seen the Billy on wheeled around and got the Esky's out and joined me.
I did state while the chops were cooking that I was in a bit of a bad area and they said that they were not worried as I was doing the right thing by not completely screwing
the area up.
Turns out they were prospectors them selves and loved the out doors. LOL
Mate, Just go and enjoy the area with the girls. Naturally be carefull of Bogans.

I appreciate your kind offer and would love to do that. I have not sussed the area out around there. Closest I have been is
on the Radio site up on the ranges. I have driven past and lovingly looked up in them thar hills wondering what is up there.
Thank You. Won't happen for a little while but I have locked that in the memory bank. LOL

bundyjd said:
Tathradj said:
Bundyjd,
If you are just putting along minding your own business and if you get seen doing that and you are doing the right thing,
I would say that you would hardly be worth a glance.
Except to say G'Day.
I ride too. Except I don't have a bike ATM. LOL

Yeah, I guess not riding something that looks and sounds like it should be on a MX track and not dressing like a Travis Pastrana wannabe helps with that. I find most people are really cool about it once they realise you're not a knob.

And mate, any time you are in these parts you are welcome to come on a ride - I've got a spare bike and there is some brilliant riding to be done out at places like the old goldfields near Bredbo.

I was actually shocked to see a bunch of old prospecting dudes smashing the old bridge while it was still in use!

They had the sledge hammers out breaking it apart and getting in the cracks! I hope that was no one from here.................

Tathradj,

I can post up some pix of Cowra Creek just to tease you. Is there a more appropriate thread somewhere to do that in?

I hope not. :eek:
That is in a construction zone.
BIG no no.
And for the amount they probably got, It would not have been worth it.

DropBear said:
I was actually shocked to see a bunch of old prospecting dudes smashing the old bridge while it was still in use!

They had the sledge hammers out breaking it apart and getting in the cracks! I hope that was no one from here.................

Sorry Cobber,
Put them up here. :)
I can move/remove them if WE wish.
I forgot being a Mod I can do that. PMSL

bundyjd said:
Tathradj,

I can post up some pix of Cowra Creek just to tease you. Is there a more appropriate thread somewhere to do that in?

Tathradj said:
Sorry Cobber,
Put them up here. :)
I can move/remove them if WE wish.
I forgot being a Mod I can do that. PMSL

bundyjd said:
Tathradj,

I don't think people who are interested in Oallen necessarily want to be subjected to my lame photography skills, so I'll look for a thread or start one.

Cool dude I will look for it.
As you wish. :D
And you think your bad, You ought to see mine some times. PMSL :eek:

Hi all,

I provide the following advice from experience, both legally and regulatory.

As sign posted, the minister has imposed the noted restrictions under the Crown Lands ACT 1989 and well with in the ACT, stating for the purpose of Protecting the Enviroment.

I understand certain members have sourced advice from various departmental people, however unless you have in writing from those certain departments stating;

a) they are authorised to overrule the ministers decisions (which I strongly doubt)

b) they are providing you special permission which excludes you from the ministers restrictions; then

I would tread extremely lightly at Oallen Ford in the restricted area.

Rangers or any Authorised Officer can't discriminate against one persons access over another's, let alone dismiss the restrictions imposed by the minister.

Rangers and Authorised Officers might exercise fair judgement if your lucky and then give you a warning and request you to leave rather than prosecute, however they don't need to exercise this judgement at all.

I strongly suggest everyone be very careful if they plan on ignoring this new change, without being better informed.

I for one am pretty disappointed with this change, as Oallen Ford is a happy hunting ground for me.
I will be asking the questions,

#When, how and why this environmental protection decision was made.

Fact is its a sad day to see this imposed at the ford and until I'm informed of a change of this restriction, I've now crossed the Ford of my prospecting list.

Regards

So basically another location crossed off due to 4x4s and prospectors doing the wrong thing. Less and less is open to prospecting as as more people dredge, cut banks and rip up the place the government signs will end up everywhere. They have figured out how to make nanoparticle gold now, its only going to be a matter of years until prospecting will be deemed useless and the land will be protected with environmental laws. Why stuff it early,?! or are we just in the race to get more gold before the rules apply so we just dredge the lot :rolleyes: because the rules don't get followed anyway obviously as each area is closed off.. Only a certain percentage truely do the right thing by prospecting rules and regulations, hopefully most of us here truely do. If everyone was following the rules then there would be no sign. I simply cannot prospect there as a sign is now there and by disregarding its laws no matter what someone has told me, I would be breaking the rules started on the sign. Laws are laws and if they wanted to be kept open to public then there would be a permit.
If you prospect there while the sign is there, you are breaking all laws that the sign states and will define certain closure of an area perminantly. What if they are just 'testing' to see how many abide the new sign rules..?
You can't light up a ciggy under a no smoking sign.

Hey AtomRat, Can you show me on the sign below where it states "NO FOSSICKING. NO PROSPECTING."? Or where it says we cant park and walk down with our gear and have a dig/pan/fossick? If we don't put up a tent or light a fire, we can still stay there all night and the next day etc. I think some people are taking this a bit far. Just my 2 cents worth (and that's about all its worth). :p Anyway it wont keep me away, see ya there.
1441759027_1441694747_oallen_sign.jpg

Cracka.

I would also like to state the reason why I did not put the person I spoke to or his phone number up.
I considered that a private matter and also I would say that he would not like his direct line being
hammered all day about this matter.
I am not trying to keep any thing secret as I have a heavy respect for any ones rights to privacy.
Including some ones secret spots. :) :lol:

Valid points cracka, however I was responding to some comments about us being allowed to ignore the sign completely and discretion would be used because we're not the violators.
Although I raise a question to you,

What do you consider as 'No vegetation clearing' just to throw a spanner in the works.

As for walking in, ummm there is no way I'd park my vehicle in this area unattended with all the ferals that frequent the Ford and are responsible for this restriction.

I wouldn't have any issue fossicking there at all. I would like to have something in writing if I was going to camp there for a weekend & intended on having a campfire - where those signs are.

"No Vegetation Clearing"
Refer to the Crown Lands Act (thanks backcreek for pointing this clause out!)
Crown Lands Act 1989 said:
Crown Lands Act 1989 No 6
Current version for 1 November 2014 to date (accessed 4 September 2015 at 21:20)
Part 7 Division 5 Section 155

155 Offences on public land

(1) A person shall not, without lawful authority:
(a) reside on public land,
(b) erect a structure on public land,
(c) graze stock on public land,
(d) drive stock on public land,
(e) clear, dig up or cultivate public land,
(f) enclose public land (other than a road or watercourse to which section 63 applies),
(g) fail to pay any rent due and payable in respect of the enclosure of public land that is a road or watercourse,
(h) interfere with any substance, whether on or in, or forming part of, public land, or
(i) deposit or leave on public land:
(i) any rubbish, litter, refuse, dead animal, filth or other similar matter, or
(ii) any matter of a prescribed class or description, whether or not of a kind referred to in subparagraph (i),
except in a place or receptacle provided for the purpose.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) A person shall not cause to be done anything that is prohibited by subsection (1) (b)(f), (h) or (i).
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(3) In proceedings for an offence under this section, the defendant has the onus of proving lawful authority in relation to the act or omission giving rise to the alleged offence.
(4) It is a sufficient defence to a prosecution for an offence arising under subsection (1) (e) or (h) if the defendant establishes that the activity with which he or she is charged was carried out in the course of fossicking, as referred to in section 12 (1) of the Mining Act 1992.
I would suggest fossicking within the rules is fine. Just don't go digging up/cutting down trees & ripping out large sections of native grasses etc. & you should be cool as a cucumber. :)

cracka said:
Hey AtomRat, Can you show me on the sign below where it states "NO FOSSICKING. NO PROSPECTING."? Or where it says we cant park and walk down with our gear and have a dig/pan/fossick? If we don't put up a tent or light a fire, we can still stay there all night and the next day etc. I think some people are taking this a bit far. Just my 2 cents worth (and that's about all its worth). :p Anyway it wont keep me away, see ya there.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/3986/1441759027_1441694747_oallen_sign.jpg

Cracka.
'Reserve for Environmental Protection'?

Just because its crown, doesn't mean you can prospect with that sign there IMO. But true it doesn't state prospecting but.. :/

What you are basically saying is I can dig up crown conservation areas and crown significant roadside areas?

AtomRat said:
cracka said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/3986/1441759027_1441694747_oallen_sign.jpg

Cracka.
'Reserve for Environmental Protection'?

Just because its crown, doesn't mean you can prospect with that sign there IMO. But true it doesn't state prospecting but.. :/

What you are basically saying is I can dig up crown conservation areas and crown significant roadside areas?

It's also a former designated fossicking area. These former "areas" are now gazetted as designated fossicking "districts" under the newer act/regs. This really only gives you the right to fossick without the EL holders permission but I would think it is also inferred or intended under the Act that we do have some right to continue fossicking there - as long as it's done within the NSW fossicking laws & not digging ridiculous great holes.

In NSW our Conservation Areas are covered by National Parks (State Conservation Areas - SCA) & these differ to the various Crown Land Reserves in that Crown Land Reserves are there for diverse public use. They have specific rules to specific areas & if fossicking wasn't allowable I have no doubt it would be clearly stated on the signage. NSW don't allow fossicking or even metal detecting in any form in these SCA's & National Parks. You blokes are lucky to have the privilege in Victoria & should be protecting those allowable State, Coastal & National Park areas.

Thanks for clearing some of that up. As I don't know the area I didn't know it was a designated suggested fossicking ground, my bad, but still the sign seems dodgy.
I do protect what's in them as theres a few things I can't even mentions unfortunately, but I'm also in contact with groups who now share the same concerns as me with protecting what's out there and Iis why I can't even mention them.