Warning about Oallen Forde

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
It all started when Bazza2210 went on a short trip to Oallen to do a bit of prospecting.
He was confronted with these signs placed at the entrance's to where we enter the area.
He rang me about it and we both surmised that they were to do with the bridge construction
or some thing sinister had gone down.We both approached NAPFA to obtain some clarification and they were going to act but have since then
we have obtained a reason and explanation about the root cause of this.
Many Thanks to NAPFA, The Shire Councils and the Crown Lands department as all the people that we have spoken to have gone out of there way in
a courteous and friendly manner. All of these folk's are very highly approachable if spoken to properly.
For more clarification, The Crown Lands can be approached on these numbers.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/about/office
1441694747_oallen_sign.jpg

Not to leave alone and satisfy myself that another area had gone to us, I rang Pallarang, Goulbourne Shire Council and
the Department of Crown Lands.
Both of the Shire's had no idea of why they were placed with one person even showing some regrets as it is a favorite
spot for a swim.
I received my answer from The Crown Lands Department.
The person I spoke to was down right approachable and explained to me what and why the signs are there for.
In his own words, "We want you all to go there and enjoy the area."
The signs are there for the idiot element.
They have had numerous complaints about the way that some folks are treating the area and anti social activities going on.
Motor Bikes,
The area is not a drag strip or raceway. A bike hurtling along with people about is conclusive to a disaster. There has been a
few close shaves. Oh, AND must be road registered as well.
Littering.
I explained that on quite numerous occasions, Some of us had gone out there and found the place in a mess.
What would you do, ? Clean it up. And that was respected and known about.
Camp Fires.
Some folks have up and left with their fires still burning and full of glass and other crap. Yes you can have a fire as long as you
follow common sense and Obey any Fire restrictions.
A fire drum is very favorably looked upon.
4WD Vehicles.
Yes, You can drive your vehicle down along the sandy area to save your self having to lug your gear down to the water.
It saves tearing up the vegetation or forming new tracks. Just don't go throwing dough Nuts or rat bagging like some do. Also the banks
are not for practicing your favorite climbing tricks
Camping,
Yes you can camp there if you wish. Only for a day or two, NOT for weeks on end.
Clearing Vegetation,
Bring your own wood people. We all do any way. Just don't cut down tree's for fire wood.

The department has before hand taken a softly softly approach but are now forced to come down harder to try and weed out morons.
So, " As per Normal " and we can keep enjoying the area for a lot longer.
If you do happen to have a camera and there is some idiot going of, Record it. Just a suggestion. :)

Hi all - ditto and thanks Doug, I can 100% agree having just gotten off the phone myself with our Crown Lands contact at Goulburn. It was good to have a two pronged approach in searching out the real answer to this situation.

The past couple of days have seen many a phone call , emails and proof reading a submission by NAPFA - thankfully the situation is not as dire as first thought and further investigation and action can cease.

It is clearly a case of the minority spoiling things for us majority who do the right thing.

Regards
Barry

Tathradj said:
It all started when Bazza2210 went on a short trip to Oallen to do a bit of prospecting.
He was confronted with these signs placed at the entrance's to where we enter the area.
He rang me about it and we both surmised that they were to do with the bridge construction
or some thing sinister had gone down.We both approached NAPFA to obtain some clarification and they were going to act but have since then
we have obtained a reason and explanation about the root cause of this.
Many Thanks to NAPFA, The Shire Councils and the Crown Lands department as all the people that we have spoken to have gone out of there way in
a courteous and friendly manner. All of these folk's are very highly approachable if spoken to properly.
For more clarification, The Crown Lands can be approached on this number.
(Number Coming)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2436/1441694747_oallen_sign.jpg

Not to leave alone and satisfy myself that another area had gone to us, I rang Pallarang, Goulbourne Shire Council and
the Department of Crown Lands.
Both of the Shire's had no idea of why they were placed with one person even showing some regrets as it is a favorite
spot for a swim.
I received my answer from The crown Lands Department.
The person I spoke to was down right approachable and explained to me what and why the signs are there for.
In his own words, "We want you all to go there and enjoy the area."
The signs are there for the idiot element.
They have had numerous complaints about the way that some folks are treating the area and anti social activities going on.
Motor Bikes,
The area is not a drag strip or raceway. A bike hurtling along with people about is conclusive to a disaster. There has been a
few close shaves. Oh, AND registered as well.
Littering.
I explained that on quite numerous occasions, Some of us had gone out there and found the place in a mess.
What do you do, ? Cleaned it up. And that was respected and known about.
Camp Fires.
Some folks have up and left with there fires still burning and full of glass and other crap. Yes you can have a fire as long as you
follow common sense and Obey any Fire restrictions.
A fire drum is very favorably looked upon.
4WD Vehicles.
Yes, You can drive your vehicle down along the sandy area to save your self having to lug your gear down to the water.
It saves tearing up the vegetation or forming new tracks. Just don't go throwing dough Nuts or rat bagging like some do. Also the banks
are not for practicing your favorite climbing tricks
Camping,
Yes you can camp there if you wish. Only for a day or two, NOT for weeks on end.
Clearing Vegetation,
Bring your own wood people. We all do any way. Just don't cut down tree's for fire wood.

The department has before hand taken a softly softly approach but are now forced to come down harder to try and weed out morons.
So, " As per Normal " and we can keep enjoying the area for a lot longer.
If you do happen to have a camera and there is some idiot going of, Record it.

Doesn't this mean it's a "grey" area.

Sign says no camping but you are allowed to camp etc.

What do you say to the guy kicking you out of camp "I'm not one of those idiots... It's ok"?

good job with the info.
so that means they can put up a sign saying you cant do any of these things their but it is totally legal to do it anyway?.
the decent people around will see that sign and leave even though they don't really have too, that's just wrong! and should be taken down.
too bad if ya turn up with the family isn't it?, then having to leave when you really don't.
absolute joke, they should be reamed in the ar%#, then taken to court.

I might just look into it too!

numpty said:
rules don't stop dickheads, they stop good people.

I couldn't agree more. Now if only we could convince authorities that the people who take the time to find out the rules are not usually the ones trashing places...

It is all primarily designed that if someone is being stupid and such, It paves the way for prosecution.
If a group of people rock up for the weekend and are enjoying themselves without causing any one any grief All Good. No one minds that
But if a group of plain idiots get started and they get done. I hope their wallets are deep. 8)
In essence, Respect the place and others.
Simple. :D

DirtyBob said:
Doesn't this mean it's a "grey" area.

Sign says no camping but you are allowed to camp etc.

What do you say to the guy kicking you out of camp "I'm not one of those idiots... It's ok"?

I was planning a weekend there in the next month or so, but wasn't going to camp near the crossing so the signs may not apply anyway hopefully.

Can't say I've seen a lot of yobbos out there, but have only been there a handful of times. Certainly could see where they had been though after nearly digging up a half buried disposable nappy - yuck! And then there's the broken glass etc, etc.

As for the dickhead dirtbike element - well, you can find those just about anywhere. I ride a lot, and have done for about 40 odd years but I manage to stay on the formed tracks and always licensed and registered. Bikes are a great way to get to out-of-the-way spots (just ask Wal) and if ridden sensibly have far less impact than a 4WD does. I guess people like me aren't the problem, but we do tend to get tarred with the same brush....

Actually, it just occurred to me that the best thing they could do is follow what the ACT govt does (I can't believe I'm writing this) with it's managed campgrounds. You need to have a permit to camp there, which could be a token amount (that most wouldn't mind paying) to cover the admin. The benefit they get is knowing who's been there, and most of the real deadsh1ts won't want to hand over their details.....

While the sign is there, it's a no go zone.

The ranger (or whoever is policing) can't tell a bunch of yobbos that they can't camp there while at the same time someone else (doing the right thing) is also camped there. It's impossible for them to be discretionary and effective at the same time - has to be one rule for all.

Perhaps the solution is to self-fund a highly descriptive tourist like sign. Something along the lines of "welcome to the oallen forde fossicking area." Then DETAIL the do's and don'ts (effectively tathradj's summary in the first post). This would allow for the desired use of the area and be enforceable by whoever is managing.

Bundyjd,
If you are just putting along minding your own business and if you get seen doing that and you are doing the right thing,
I would say that you would hardly be worth a glance.
Except to say G'Day.
I ride too. Except I don't have a bike ATM. LOL

Thank you guys for going to the effort to find out what is going on but I have a feeling this won't be good for us sooner or later, it seems like a definitive "no" to everything a cross the board on the sign

Yes They Can,
They could receive a complaint go out and hide just up the road out of sight.
Then come slowly sneaking down or suddenly appear out of the night.
Seen it done before.
Fishing inspectors are good at this. :D :D :D

DirtyBob said:
While the sign is there, it's a no go zone.

The ranger (or whoever is policing) can't tell a bunch of yobbos that they can't camp there while at the same time someone else (doing the right thing) is also camped there. It's impossible for them to be discretionary and effective at the same time - has to be one rule for all.

Perhaps the solution is to self-fund a highly descriptive tourist like sign. Something along the lines of "welcome to the oallen forde fossicking area." Then DETAIL the do's and don'ts (effectively tathradj's summary in the first post). This would allow for the desired use of the area and be enforceable by whoever is managing.

Yeah... But if I'm camped out there with my 4wd and fire in an area signposted where this is clearly prohibited, I'm at risk of being prosecuted depending on if the ranger had a bad day.

I know there a lot of "good guy" rangers out there, but have also heard some horror stories (just imagine some of crap they have to deal with). Unless the signs are gone or the rules are clearly spelled out, I don't think I want risk it. I'd be paranoid every time a car pulled up and that wouldn't be very enjoyable.

I want to go camping out there with my girls when the weather warms up a little. I'll just have to go somewhere else.

Latest posts