Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks wal, I'm about to head out bush with the Army for a few weeks. i will touch base with you when i return to see where your at with your creations. and if need be, i will head to detect a den.

How do I PM people on here?
Keen to arrange some catwalk mesh through you Wal, if you are still able to provide it?
Cannot find it locally anywhere. :(

you need to be an active member to PM ashhhhhh 10 post min

Wals not here to take orders mate its a discussion forum try contacting a mesh supplier in your closest capital city. Nearly every steel supplier ive talked to stock expanded metal

Well once my Walbanker is complete I likely will be active mate...
I only asked the question because earlier in the thread Wal made it clear he was able to supply it.

Hi Wal,

I am up in the states. Built myself a Wal's Highbanker. Its a beauty. However, I had to use other material for the vertical catwalk mesh. It does not work well. I believe the catwalk you use can be purchased from a place called Ulrich? Could you please give me the specifics of the catwalk. I will try to order and have them send some to me here in California. Its the last piece of the puzzle for me. And the most important. I have sapphires in the ground where I am prospecting... :D

Thank you very much.

Steve

G'day Steve,

The Catwalk is by far the best mesh for trapping Sapphires, and if your main use of the banker is for Sapphires then I would run a longer section of the mesh than in the vid I've shown. Can I suggest that once you have made 10 posts on the forum to send me a PM with the size of your banker, and I can possibly send you some mesh from this end.

There is several configs of my banker that I use in different locations. I can go over the best set up for your location once I get some feedback from you as to the type of wash you have to contend with. My personal "Sapphire Only" banker is configured different to the one you see on the vid, which is more a combo unit.

Cheers Wal.

G'Day Wal,

Thank you for the fast response. There is gold in the area so I will be keeping the combination set up for now. If you could send some walkway all the way up here i would be so grateful. On to 10 posts so that I may PM you!!

Next post will be a photo of your design!

Cheers Wal

G'Day again Wal,

Been trying to upload a photo of my semi-complete highbanker to no avail. File size is within limit but I keep getting "bad request".

What information do you need in regards to the area I am prospecting? I could use all the help I can get.

Cheers,

Steve

Wal,

Trying to reach 10 posts so as to have access to PM.

Could you direct me to the company that sells the cable tray please? Here in the states I can only find 1/2 inch(13mm) round punched steal for the classifier. I have already tried this set up and it does not seem to work very well.

Thanks again Wal

Steve

stevinsky said:
Wal,

Trying to reach 10 posts so as to have access to PM.

Could you direct me to the company that sells the cable tray please? Here in the states I can only find 1/2 inch(13mm) round punched steal for the classifier. I have already tried this set up and it does not seem to work very well.

Thanks again Wal

Steve

Not sure who does cable tray in the States Steve, but give the link Golddigg put up a go. Ive tried punch plate myself years ago and found it blocked easily and the stones had difficulty running along it. I found the cable tray by far the best. If worse comes to worse I'll send you some of that as well with the Catwalk mesh.

Only a couple more posts and you can use the PM system, as I would like to discuss the correct way to set this unit up myself. Many have made versions and got them wrong.

Cheers Wal

Thank you both Golddigg and Wal.

This helps a lot.

Going to try to put up a photo one more time.

Cheers

Steve

Wal,

I am sorry but still having trouble uploading a photo of my highbanker. Been through all the rules and guides. Photo is within limits. Still get the 404 error. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hey wal, i know the cat walk mesh section will clog if v mat is used under it as in needs the gap underneath for the gold to slide under, do you think it would still clogg up if the mesh was spaced off the v mat by 5 mm or so?
Cheers Greg

stevinsky said:
This should do it.

Just for future reference, posting comments simply to boost your post count is against forum rules. No harm done but if everyone did this the forum would be riddled with pointless comments, and no one wants that.

Digginholes said:
Hey wal, i know the cat walk mesh section will clog if v mat is used under it as in needs the gap underneath for the gold to slide under, do you think it would still clogg up if the mesh was spaced off the v mat by 5 mm or so?
Cheers Greg

Ive experimented with countless variations over time, and have found by far the most efficient system is to have nothing under the catwalk (or sloped expanded) at all. The "V" mat under the Catwalk would not work efficiently either as it requires a constant flow over the "V"mat for displacement to occur.

Water pressure under the catwalk would be reduced to the point where clogging would definitely occur with finer gravel / black sands, and this would let the gold ride over these sands to the top of the ironstone and work its way down the sluice.

If you wish to run a "V" mat system I would use a different riffle system, avoiding the catwalk altogether.

Cheers Wal.

Good question troy and it can have a couple of answers. If the sloped expanded is directly on a carpet or woven matting then the water pressure should be adjusted to have approx half the expanded covered with gravel/ ironstone and the lower half should have the carpet/ matting exposed.

Depends very much on your set up as by running no matting under the expanded it will give you a far better tolerance with water flows, and will be less critical with the amount of ironstone which needs to be displaced. Remember that no matting under the top expanded will require a rifle arrangement after the expanded to hold up the gold.

Lazy "L" riffles require about the same gaps for gravel/ironstone as expanded mesh.

Cheers Wal.

with the setup I have I have a hopper feeder going down to about 250 skid plate then 200 sloped expanded going to your bread crate bunnings mat setup, I have put 2 angles pop riveted together in between the expanded and bread crate so the mesh can sit up off the bottom a couple of mm at the front. when running on sunday I seemed to get a wave off the first slope on the mesh which would clear the entire spot it was landing and then the rest of the mesh would be about 3/4 full of gravel, ironstone and the bread crate about half full. is the wave off the expanded normal or would this be interrupting the vortex's in the mesh causing the build up of gravel etc

Latest posts